Discussion Archive: May 2010

31 May 2010 - 8:24am
3 years ago
5 replies
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Death of the Desktop

Ha, what's funny, i never knew you could actually change the default name "desktop" to ANYTHING you want. At least on my Mac i can. I ended up calling it, " / " until i can find an appropriate name.

Richard Carson

31 May 2010 - 5:11am
Sylvie DAUMAL

[EVENT] Reminder: UX Paris - June 2nd

Just a gentle reminder on next UX Paris event:

UX Paris Meeting: presentation by Paul Kahn and Julia Moisand
When: 8pm – 10pm Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010

30 May 2010 - 2:32pm
Brad Katz

RE: [IxDA] Landing Page Inspiration

ww2wwwwwwwwwwwwdt*f

Sent from my HTC Tilt™ 2, a Windows® phone from AT&T

-----Original Message----- From: Anne Hjortshoj Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:26 AM To: bakatz1@comcast.net Subject: Re: [IxDA] Landing Page Inspiration

30%? where did this data point come from? Seems a bit arbitrary/ removed from context to me.

Genuinely curious,

-Anne

On May 30, 2010, at 8:18 AM, nabinbuzz wrote:

> Common wisdom is that you lose 30% of your respondents for each > registration field.

29 May 2010 - 1:01pm
3 years ago
3 replies
carolinew

IxD background questions- area, education, work environment, career path

Hi there,

After browsing thousands of posts and I still couldn’t find the answers I was looking for, I have decided to write my first post and wish some of you experts out there would be kind enough to share some insight (ok, I exaggerated, but still it’s a lot of reading)

-          Are most IxD working on web interfaces/ application? What’s the proportion of IxD working on electronic gadgets as well as other types of non-electronics products?

28 May 2010 - 11:23pm
elvenmuse

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] All microwave interfaces are COMPLETELY different

I think it is clear we need buttons for basically 2 categories: heat, time... and maybe "management/control" (but it can be implemented with buttons for 2 categories only).

> Hi.

28 May 2010 - 7:32pm
3 years ago
1 reply
ljuba

Transporter, a new kind of public transit app for San Francisco (UC Berkeley Master's Thesis)

Hello,

I just finished my master's thesis at the UC Berkeley's School of Information: A thoughtfully designed public transit app crafted to meet the needs of SF Area riders. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transporter-real-time-public/id373726282?mt=8

28 May 2010 - 7:24pm
3 years ago
4 replies
KathyAlberts
28 May 2010 - 3:00pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Wirelessapps

Best User Interface Design Resources

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find sites where I can view examples of extremely well designed user interfaces for devices and I was wondering if everyone could list their top 5 favourite sites so we can have a list on here for  inspiring designers. 

Thank you kindly for your support.

Anil

28 May 2010 - 9:48am
3 years ago
1 reply
elvenmuse

Re: [IxDA] All microwave interfaces are COMPLETELY different

I think we should design a royalty'free microwave oven among this mailing list; but using a CC-by license.

It will make some part of the "prosumers" realize that Design isn't about being expensive but on making our tools and products into something useful (and beautiful).

> Hi Derrek,A picture of my microwave or of what I think the knob should > look > like?

28 May 2010 - 9:48am
Mortvia

JOB: IA needed for project in Manhattan starting in June

Just got this in my inbox, but I'm not in the area so I'm passing this along for anyone who's interested.

I am working with a fantastic company that is looking for an IA who can begin on site in Manhattan on Tuesday, June 1st or at least sometime next week if not Tuesday to design enhancements to an existing web application front end to include the Advanced Modeling Component pages.  This project could potentially be long term.