Discussion Archive: June 2010

24 Jun 2010 - 3:51pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] RE: [IxDA] ATM interaction design

First off I just wanted to mention it's nice to have the excuse to talk about ATMs in terms of usability. Like the microwave discussion, this sort of thing makes me really happy I joined this listserv.

24 Jun 2010 - 12:21pm
joelmoney

Re: [IxDA] Sketching on the iPad

I like the Make Video.. But..

If you want to buy instead of make..

http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php

JOEL FISHER Director, User Experience | AOL Advertising P: 410.537.8619 Find us on Twitter: @AOL_Advertising AIM: joelmoney | E-mail: joel.fisher@corp.aol.com 1020 Hull Street | Baltimore, MD | 21230

On 6/24/10 1:20 PM, "Josh Damon Williams" wrote:

> reason. I have qualms around switching from > analog to digital, but it's

24 Jun 2010 - 10:22am
+1
4 years ago
7 replies
Traci Lepore

RE: [IxDA] ATM interaction design

Bank of America ATMS have had the envelope free deposits for like a year now, sounds like the new Wells Fargo ones are pretty similar. I've actually found them quite an annoying experience. It takes practically twice as long because there is more steps...telling the machine what kind of deposit (cash or check) and verifying the amount and what kind of receipt do you want.

24 Jun 2010 - 2:48am
Asle Mikkelsen

design-people (dk) looking for interaction design trainee

Hello IXDA,

design-people in Denmark is looking for an interaction designer trainee from August 2010.
design-people is a danish industrial design company, located in Aarhus, second biggest city of Denmark.
The recent focus has been design of complex industrial software interfaces, for agriculture and power managemant.
We recently hired a MMI psychologist, so this is also a great opportunity to get insight in this field.

23 Jun 2010 - 4:07pm
4 years ago
7 replies
joelmoney

Sketching on the iPad

37Signals just launched their new app. Looks great.

It's called Draft and is strickly for sketching UIs.

http://cl.ly/1SWK

JOEL FISHER Director, User Experience | AOL Advertising P: 410.537.8619 AIM: joelmoney | E-mail: joel.fisher@corp.aol.com 1020 Hull Street | Baltimore, MD | 21230

23 Jun 2010 - 12:16pm
4 years ago
3 replies
qbi11y

Coldfusion 9 & JQuery

All,

I am trying to tie Coldfusion backend with jQuery front end. I am having a difficult time finding resources that are easily understandable. Does anyone know of simple and effective tutorials that tell you how to communicate with a database via Coldfusion and jQuery? Any input is valuable and if someone knows the answer to my question off hand, I am open to learning.

Thanks,

J

23 Jun 2010 - 9:51am
4 years ago
5 replies
kineticX
23 Jun 2010 - 9:12am
Jerome Covington

Interview on IA Podcast

Hi all,

I recently approached Jeff Parks, host of the IA Podcast, about sharing my perception of UX and IxD from my standpoint as a developer. I thought some of the people on this list might find the discussion interesting.

http://jeffparks.ca/index.php/show-notes/time-for-developers-to-embrace-user-experience

23 Jun 2010 - 8:24am
mprove

RSE10 Video: Kars Alfrink on Transmutation

Kars Alfrink presented at Raum Schiff Erde in February 2010.

The talk¹s title -- Transmutation -- refers to alchemists¹ quest to turn lead into gold, which sometimes feels similar to what we¹re trying to do with pervasive games in public urban places.1 To summarize: I start by talking about the fact that games are essentially useless, and that this means applied game design should look for useful results in second order effects. I argue that the contribution of urban games lies primarily in the increased diversity of use of our streets, which is a good thing in itself.

23 Jun 2010 - 7:49am
4 years ago
4 replies
Stew Dean

Re: [IxDA] where to use eye tracking?

I'm with Jared,   Eye tracking tells you about common user bahaviour, how people read pages and what they are likely to look at. If you're farily clued up on that already and know your theory it is unlikely you'll learn anything new.  Eye tracking tells you what people are looking at but not what they are seeing or what they comprehend.  Contextual studies and talking aloud during traditional testing will tell you far more than eye tracking can and are still needed to make sense of any eye tracking work you do.