Discussion Archive: July 2010

29 Jul 2010 - 8:01pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] RE: [IxDA] Is the mouse dead?

There's absolutely no doubt that for certain types of gaming (First Person Shooters for instance) mouse and keyboard is far superior to a dual stick game controller (I think there's actually been more than one study on this). That said, we have yet to see what competitive gaming will look like with a multi-touch pad (ahem, Apple) and keyboard.

29 Jul 2010 - 5:07pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Wendy Fischer

telecommuting and work/life balance

All:   So as a full time user experience designer and a mother of a toddler, I find that very few companies allow designers to work from home a couple of days a week, or allow flexibility in schedules. I am lucky because I have a great boss and company that allows that - I live in the Bay area and find that my commute RT is about 56 miles each day.

29 Jul 2010 - 12:03pm
dantemurphy

New Blog Post: Other People's Underpants

To my sometimes peculiar way of thinking, User Experience documentation is a lot like underpants.

To find out how, check out:

http://oxbyd.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/other-peoples-underpants/

29 Jul 2010 - 11:55am
Douglas Brashear

RE: [IxDA] Is the mouse dead?

I saw another article recently that pointed to a healthy life for the mouse, at least for gamers. Apparently Microsoft may have nixed multi-player play between Xbox users and PC-based gamers because the keyboard/mouse combination is far superior for game control compared to the Xbox (or other) console controllers.

28 Jul 2010 - 11:58pm
Gloria Petron

NYC Entrepeneurs Want IxDA'ers for Aug. 5th Event!

I'd like to promote an event next Thursday night Aug 5, "Web Design For Startups", where I'll be a panelist along with Christopher Fahey of Behavior Design, Seth Giammanco of Minds On Design Lab,  and Dan Maccarone of Hard Candy Shell. The event is hosted by NYC-based entrepeneur meetup group UltraLightStartups.

28 Jul 2010 - 3:17pm
Loren Baxter

Help a fellow UXer

Hi folks, just wanted to pass along a good cause from some UXers.

Does everyone here know Mike Wilkey (@UXMike)? For those that don't, Mike is a UX designer in MA, and a great guy. He has been diagnosed with brain cancer and also recently lost his house.

Some of our fine community members have set up a site to collect donations to help him and his family out as much as we can. It would be great if you would consider donating.

http://bit.ly/bCjdKz

28 Jul 2010 - 12:38pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Anonymous

Wording survey questions ("What is your blood pressure?" versus "My blood pressure is...")

What are your thoughts about wording questionnaires? 

"What is your blood pressure?" versus "My blood pressure is..."

Answers are radio buttons below the questions.

The first option seems more accusatory while second option might require more thought from participant as its a bit fragmented. This is a health questionnaire so I am trying a softer approach.

Best,

Ken

28 Jul 2010 - 10:51am
4 years ago
3 replies
Ben

Where are comprehensive resources for Participatory Design activities?

I recently have joined an active volunteer community where I could have ample access to stakeholders to gain insight into their challenges. I was interested in using activities from participatory design as a tool to focus the exploration, particularly those that have co-designers make or build in order to express their ideas rather than conversation that could devolve into a focus group.

Where can I find activities for participatory design?

28 Jul 2010 - 10:06am
4 years ago
3 replies
vlad

Open form fields and abusability

Hello!

We run a job board where people create resumes and apply to job offerings.

For each of their previous workplaces, we require them, amongst other things, to enter the city they worked in.
As you might have guessed, the city field is open (i.e. a normal text field)

We decided it's high time to close that field and offer a combo box.
When looking at the various values people have entered in the city field, we found that
a lot of users entered more info than was required (e.g. city+district, the company's full address,