Discussion Archive: July 2010

20 Jul 2010 - 9:00am
4 years ago
2 replies
mschraad

the designer as researchers

Hi all...

As more and more designers wander out into the audience to gather facts and insight... I am wondering how much background in anthropology and ethnography you (the designer as researcher) are taking with you? How important is it to you, your process, and the net result as applied to the design work, that you follow established qualitative research protocal.

I am not at all interested (for the purposed of this thread) in the ethical issues of disclosure, etc... more interested in your interactions, dialog and information gathering process.

20 Jul 2010 - 5:00am
4 years ago
7 replies
AliceDavey

What's your job title?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to usability!

I want to know what your jobs titles are so I can start to think what mine should be...

My role in my job has been evolving recently and I will now be in charge of making sure all our software is developed with 'User centred design' at its heart.

20 Jul 2010 - 1:53am
4 years ago
2 replies
Yohan Creemers

New prototyping tool Quplo in beta

Q42 announced that their new prototyping tool Quplo is now in beta. Quplo is an online tool that helps designers and developers create interactive and functional GUI prototypes using native web technologies HTML, CSS and Javascript. Knowledge of these technologies is required, there is no WYSIWYG editor.

19 Jul 2010 - 8:47pm
Jason Stirnaman

Job Posting: Web Developer / Designer

University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS   Web Developer/Designer   This person will work closely with Dykes Library (http://library.kumc.edu) staff, faculty and other Information Resources units to raise the visibility of expertise, research, publications, grey li

19 Jul 2010 - 4:15am
+1
4 years ago
11 replies
marianamota

Why people still think that it is necessary to name links "click here"?

Hello,

I am a graphic and interactive designer and I just started a blog about usability with a webdeveloper. So, I would really like to hear from you guys. Suggestions, comments, constructive criticisms, are very welcome.

http://designdevelopmentusability.blogspot.com/
@ddusability

I hope you like and find it useful. :)

Many thanks,
Mariana Mota

www.marianamota.com
@marianamota

18 Jul 2010 - 11:36am
ChrisCallaghan

Terminology evaluation

I have been asked to evaluate the terminology which has been proposed for a new online portal. Aside to a card sorting exercise, I have produced a brief 8 question online survey which I am hoping will provide some supplementary information.

I would really appreciate your help in completing the survey (it takes 2 mins max!) as I am very short on time and participants.

To begin, please click the this link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CWJJY5Z.

Many thanks in advance for your help : )

18 Jul 2010 - 9:12am
2 years ago
4 replies
Katie Ware

Mobile Sites and Breadcrumb Navigation

Hi all -

Wondering if anyone has any insight or can point me to information on use of breadcrumb nav with mobile sites. Some sites use it, others appear to rely on a back link (or browser back) and a home link as a hub.

17 Jul 2010 - 10:30pm
TMHoward

Re: [IxDA] Right-hand navigation

Yes we read top to bottom and right to left. When designed "graphically" we look around for primary information, or specifically what we seek.
Studies aside, and standards aside in a medium so very flexible and powerful, it seems that we over look the simplest case studies. We are capable of (on a good day) navigating our cars on roads with with both right side, left side, and overhead information.
Anything done well is worth doing especially if the case warrants it.(this bearing no comment on the signage in the US).

17 Jul 2010 - 4:48pm
timjaeger

HotGloo

Does anyone use HotGloo to do prototypes in shared environments?

http://www.hotgloo.com/

It looks pretty cool, and I've played around with it a bit, but I'm not sure how well it plays out in client situations when you have to get deliverables out fast compared to programs like Omnigraffle where you can bang things out in short order.

Any success stories using it?

17 Jul 2010 - 1:36pm
4 years ago
1 reply
William Hudson

RE: [IxDA] Right-hand navigation

I wrote an article on this a while back - it's not a definitive answer but addresses the suggestion that right-hand navigation might be more efficient.

However, I have to say that 'people usually figure things out' is not good evidence in favour.