Discussion Archive: August 2010

25 Aug 2010 - 5:11am
3 years ago
7 replies
Danny Hope

New rule for posting jobs

What do people think about a new rule requiring recruiters to append "[JOB]" to message subjects of job postings?

Like this: [IxDA] [JOB] Senior Interaction designer

This could be enforced by something like a 3 strikes and you're out system.

Do recruiters feel that the IxDA's job board doesn't get enough eyeballs?

-- Danny Hope User Experience Design, Brighton UK http://dannyhope.co.uk http://2010.uxbrighton.org.uk +44 (0)7595 226 792

25 Aug 2010 - 3:07am
3 years ago
4 replies
iOddJobBob

Contact/Telephone Numbers in Forms

We are currently re-looking our Forms with regards to the way contact numbers are entered. Presently we have two text-boxes, one for area/country code, and then one for the number.

I'm trying to do some research on the best way to present this to users. Do any of you have any ideas and possibly a few sites that I can use to benchmark against?

Thanks in advance!

25 Aug 2010 - 2:54am
Howie Chang

Patenting Interaction Flow

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have any experience in patenting interaction flow. (e.g one-click checkout and etc).
I would assume the process to be similar to standard patenting procedure?

Cheers,
Howie

24 Aug 2010 - 7:39pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Dave Malouf

IDSA's Human Interaction creates the Interaction Design "Archetype"

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1ayQKL1bpcu1hiEB4PtnkW0TH2GTFzf0UCcyXQ3WDlZE&pli=1

The above link is to a google doc (odd publishing platform if ya ask me).

The document outlines 3 levels of practice within the role of Interaction Designer as defined by the Human Interaction Community inside the Industrial Design Society of America, IDSA. 

24 Aug 2010 - 6:02pm
Ryan Lum

UX Information Architect

Location: Redmond, WA United States Employer: Greythorn From a recruiter:    Direct employer Term:

24 Aug 2010 - 3:15pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
RichExperiences

Design, Engineering & Rants - a new thread [General]

I can appreciate many of the views shared here. My last post about Engineering IS Design IS Engineering was meant to prompt discussion. It did a little bit. My overall take on this subject is that we are in need of some serious stepping back and re-evaluation of all the disciplines. Take the Stanford site is an interesting case study. They don't help the world by having a design program named, of all things Design. What kind? What department? Graphic, Industrial, Product, ME.

24 Aug 2010 - 3:13pm
Ryan Lum

UX Information Architect, Contract, Redmond, WA

Redmond, WA   12 Months Contract Onsite  
Responsible for creating information architecture documents for applications and user interfaces to be deployed on various platforms ranging from web, desktop (win7 point/click &am

24 Aug 2010 - 12:18pm
3 years ago
1 reply
jet

Re: [IxDA] MFA v. MA

On 8/24/10 12:33, Georgette Sulllivan wrote: > The main question in my mind is employability in today’s > market conditions with an MA verses an MFA in 18 months.

If you can afford it, I'd go for the MFA if it will help you build a strong portfolio.

That being said, nobody has ever questioned my having a MS Design instead of a MA or MFA. "finished grad school" is what really seems to matter.

-- J. Eric Townsend design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net; HF: KG6ZVQ PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8

24 Aug 2010 - 10:59am
3 years ago
7 replies
cneiweem

What is your ideal user research lab set-up?

I am curious to know what type of equipment and technology your ideal user research lab set-up would include. What are you currently using in your lab and what is on your wishlist for in-person, remote, and mobile usability testing?

24 Aug 2010 - 4:33am
+1
3 years ago
2 replies
marianamota

What makes a button a button?

Hi all! 

We've just done a new blog post in our "Design, Development, Usability" blog and would really like your opinion and comments.

"What makes a button a button?"

The post discuss about affordance of buttons and question the relationship between visual design and usability.