Discussion Archive: September 2010

30 Sep 2010 - 4:40pm
28 weeks ago
7 replies
Arti

How do you start a new IxDA local chapter?

Hi everyone,

I recently sent message via the "contact us" feature of the ixda.org website but never received a response.

I'm interested in starting a local chapter of IxDA in Kansas City, MO and have no idea how to go about doing that.

Can someone tell me the necessary steps and resources or tell me where to find them?

Thanks,

Arti

30 Sep 2010 - 4:24pm
Helen Killingbeck

Re: [IxDA] PEGA Limitations

I fully agree ::-)

Sent from Samsung mobile

minimalist wrote:

>Know this is an older thread but will add my thoughts for the record as i was
>looking for more opinions. > >Completely agree with yoni and mahua. > >Pega is useful if your organization is willing to accept very subpar
>usability and user experience, and are willing to take on all the negatives
>of dealing with everything as a training issue. > >Trying to solve simple problems is hard, and trying to solve challenging
>problems is nearly impossible since the level of customization required would

30 Sep 2010 - 4:22pm
Helen Killingbeck

Re: [IxDA] ANN: Leah Buley's new book-in-progress--The UX Team of One

This sounds like a fantastic book! Were they watching me today :'-( Helen

Sent from Samsung mobile

Louis Rosenfeld wrote:

>(apologies for duplicate postings) > >I'm very happy to announce that Adaptive Path's Leah Buley >has just begun >work on a new Rosenfeld Media >book, /The UX Team of One.  >// >The UX Team of One/ >will be the first book specifically for >people doing UX work without the support of a team. What's so different >about being a team of one? Fewer resources. Creative isolation. >Organizational ignorance. Sometimes even hostility.

30 Sep 2010 - 2:09pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Louis Rosenfeld

ANN: Leah Buley's new book-in-progress--The UX Team of One

(apologies for duplicate postings)

I'm very happy to announce that Adaptive Path's Leah Buley has just begun work on a new Rosenfeld Media book, The UX Team of One. 

30 Sep 2010 - 10:12am
Nicola

successful stories about online reputation management

I'm looking for successful stories about online reputation management. I'm particularly interested in stories that describe the methodology and the characteristics of the systems employed.
Any link, paper, presentation, book or first hand experience is welcomed.
Thank you.

Nicola
--

30 Sep 2010 - 9:33am
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Need advice for starting a career in UX/Interaction Design.

This is going to be an unpopular answer, but you need to move.

If the place you're living now doesn't offer the right job opportunities (because the number of positions is small), you should figure out where the jobs are (in the US, this is the SF Bay Area and New York) and move there. Your odds of getting a job now (and in the future) will increase dramatically, if for no other reason than the amount of open positions is greater. Basic supply vs. demand.

See: Florida, Richard. Who's Your City?

30 Sep 2010 - 8:17am
Adrian Howard

Re: [IxDA] Show more options, but not fewer

Hey m,

On 30 Sep 2010, at 13:33, minimalist wrote:

> Looking for info on the following pattern: > > User opts to show more options, which switches modes to show more controls (or progressively discloses some more), but the option to go back to the fewer options is not given. [snip] > Anyone know of any field testing data that may add more color to the actual usability of this pattern (as opposed to merely my or others' gut)?

I can think of one instance of this in some user testing I did some years ago.

30 Sep 2010 - 8:08am
Adrian Howard

Re: [IxDA] The PERFECT interaction or experience designer's workspace

My personal preferences (mostly built around what I've seen work well :-)

On 30 Sep 2010, at 11:56, John Gibbard wrote: [snip] > Some feeder questions > * Beyond whiteboards, what creative spaces do you like to work from/within?

Personally I like spaces where the majority of people are sitting and working together around a project, with a few separate private spaces for people to go off and take phone calls or work individually.

> * Are clear-desk policies stiffling to creativity?

I'd say yes.

30 Sep 2010 - 7:20am
minimalist

Show more options, but not fewer

Looking for info on the following pattern: User opts to show more options, which switches modes to show more controls (or progressively discloses some more), but the option to go *back* to the fewer options is not given.

30 Sep 2010 - 5:20am
3 years ago
6 replies
John Gibbard

The PERFECT interaction or experience designer's workspace

So, we have been thinking about an impending office move and the inevitable relocation of the team of Information Architects to a new building. We want to take the opportunity to create an ideal environment for generating exceptional user experiences from strategy through documentation to prototype.

Some background