Discussion Archive: September 2010

18 Sep 2010 - 11:57pm
Suedesign

回复:[IxDA] Capitalization in username

hello,I have read your mail, and I perfer the second scenario,that would be better because of it's convenient.Besides,I think it can Prompted by the historical record as a small tips.

18 Sep 2010 - 3:04pm
3 years ago
4 replies
hilhorst

Capitalization in username

We're currently having a debate around capitalization in usernames (not display names).

2 scenarios:

1. Capitalization is allowed and consistent across the interface, if you sign up with capitalization in the username, you will be required to use that same capitalization when signing in, e.g. if your username is "John", you will have to use "John" when signing in, "john" will not work.

2. Capitalization is allowed when signing up, but is not enforced when signing in, e.g.

18 Sep 2010 - 2:31pm
3 years ago
2 replies
NickHB

Building a Portfolio

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the field of IxD/IA/UCD and was wondering what constitutes a good portfolio. Are there any examples anyone would be willing to share? 

Also, as I'm looking to build my mine and get more inxperience in the field of IxD, any information as to where I can find part-time work (as I'm currently working full-time) in the NYC area would be greatly appreciated.  I've hit up some of the usual hot spots such as eLance and Craigslist, but have not had any luck so far.

Thanks, and I look forward to your replies.

Nick 

17 Sep 2010 - 3:41pm
Dan Brown

[EVENT] EightShapes Fall Workshops in DC • Early b ird pricing in effect!

[Apologies in advance for cross-posting]
Flow Charts and Site Maps and Concept Models, oh my!

In October and November, EightShapes will be offering two workshops on taking a visual approach to web site planning. EightShapes principal Dan Brown will show how flow charts, site maps, and concept models can facilitate the planning process by helping the project team visualize the whole project.

17 Sep 2010 - 3:31pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
Sara Spelz

Newspaper company looking for a UX mentor

I work for the newspaper division of E.W. Scripps, and - due to an increased interest in user experience by the execs - our small UX team is tasked with defining the term as it relates to our business as well as defining a strategy for applying UX principles to existing products and new projects.

What a mouthful.

17 Sep 2010 - 7:29am
3 years ago
5 replies
Athena

New to Interaction Design - how go about basic concepts?

Hi there, apologies if all this seems utterly trivial to most of you, but I am new to this world and need some guidance. I am  trying to get the basic concepts underlying interaction design - any ideas on sources?

I got "Interaction Design: beyond Human-Computer Interaction" by Dr. Helen Sharp, would this be a good start?

Many thanks

16 Sep 2010 - 4:20pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Jeff Kraemer

How many users confirm their email addresses?

Hi all,

I'm looking for stats or anecdotal evidence (yeah, I said it) regarding email verification--that is, you register and a site says your registration will be complete once you click a link they've sent you. The purpose, of course, is to confirm that the user's email address is valid.

If you work(ed) at a site that practices email verification, how many users actually clicked the link you sent? In other words, how many users did not complete registration because of the email verification step?

16 Sep 2010 - 11:38am
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

Simplicity should be overrated, just to understand it's importance in any design or system. I believe the key is integration, therefore needs to be understood.

Richard Carson

16 Sep 2010 - 7:12am
William Hudson
16 Sep 2010 - 2:14am
technosumit

Mobile Application for Indian Operator

We would like to introduce ourselves are Asia’s largest Licensing company .We have our operations running in countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Korea already. We are the largest Licensing agency in Asia. Head office at Manila.