Discussion Archive: October 2010

31 Oct 2010 - 7:49pm
3 years ago
3 replies
dszuc

A great designer & framing design

Hi:

Just read that Tim Brown will be in Singapore - http://designthinking.ideo.com/?p=506#content and he wrote:

"I am off to Singapore in a week for my first visit. I have been invited by the government to give a talk on design thinking and meet with various government and business leaders to talk about the role of design thinking at a national level."

Excellent!

31 Oct 2010 - 6:57pm
Eduardo F. Ortiz

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Coming soon: IxDA's new job board, powered by Coroflot

It sounds like it's time for another fund-raising drive.

As someone that's benefited from the job postings on IxDA and whose recommended it to many companies to use, it's a win-win. A lot of the jobs posted look like complete crap as if they've been generated by some system and bombarded on job boards, I've never seen those on Coroflot - though I might be wrong - but if it improves the quality of the content, I'm all for it.

31 Oct 2010 - 1:30pm
3 years ago
2 replies
uxmovement

What Your Home Page Needs for Users to See Value

I think everyone here agrees that you have a limited time (seconds) to engage your users when they visit your site for the first time otherwise its right to the back button for them. 

This article talks about using compelling headlines and images to communicate the value users will get from your website instantly. What are some other effective ways to engage users?

What Your Home Page Needs for Users to See Value

31 Oct 2010 - 10:38am
3 years ago
1 reply
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Coming soon: IxDA's new job board, powered by Coroflot

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:00 PM, Adam Korman wrote:

> Of the over 800 posts this month, I'm pretty sure there were just 7 job posts (I may have miscounted by one or two). I'm guessing that you are also subscribed to the jobs list and don't realize it (because there have been a ton of posts there recently).

I've never done anything to subscribe to the jobs board, and yet I get 7 job postings per day, it seems like.

So let's look at this rationally. The organization needs money. There are several ways it can get it:

1. Charge for membership and lock the mailing list.
30 Oct 2010 - 12:21pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Lee Beckwith

Design in Japan?

Hello, I'm a fledgling IxD student, and I am very interested in what's going on in Japan as far as Interaction Design and HCI goes. So far I have heard of only a few companies like Axis Design Japan, and the ones listed on UXmap.com. Does anyone know what the industry looks like there? Have some of you worked in Japan?

--
Lee Beckwithhttp://leebeckwith.com
323-599-6274

29 Oct 2010 - 6:43pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Coming soon: IxDA's new job board, powered by Coroflot

As a long-time user of this list, I'm going to voice my approval of the Board's decision and say this is a welcome change. This list was never set up to be a job board, as helpful as that is to some. When 10% or more of the posts are job listings, it creates an unacceptable level of noise to be filtered out. And I think we can all agree that the list is quite noisy already.

29 Oct 2010 - 5:40pm
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Coming soon: IxDA's new job board, powered by Coroflot

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Joe Sokohl wrote: > We looked at these issues. Really hard. We considered individuals or small > firms doin the quick job announcement.

So what's your revenue projection?

29 Oct 2010 - 4:18pm
Josh Damon Williams

Last chance to save on early registration for Interaction11

Hello IxDers,

The peices are almost all in place. We have a beautiful location and a host design program, the keynotes have been announced, workshops and lightning rounds have been selected, and a variety of fun and informative local activites have been arrange for Interaction11. Now all we need is you!

29 Oct 2010 - 4:06pm
timsheiner@gmail.com

Software Product Designer - Jaspersoft

Full time software product designer position available at Jaspersoft, a SF SOMA.

You would be able to start contributing immediately to improving the user experience for the most widely used open source business intelligence solution on the planet!

Check out the full job description: http://bit.ly/9VTNvd

29 Oct 2010 - 8:33am
Nils-Erik Gustafsson

Re: [IxDA] Director of User Experience - London - £Superb + benefits

Hallo again, Sean,

what does "£superb + benefits" translate into? ;-)