Discussion Archive: October 2010

19 Oct 2010 - 4:45am
Cennydd Bowles

[PLUG} UX London 2011

Just to remind the group that tickets are now on sale for UX London 2011. Three days of hands-on juiciness including Alan Cooper, Lou Rosenfeld, Kate Rutter, Kim Goodwin, Matt Jones, Robert Fabricant, Bryan Rieger, Russ Unger, Giles Colborne, Todd Zaki Warfel, Sunni Brown, Josh Porter, Nate Bolt, and Kevin Hoffman.

The event runs 13-15 April and costs £895, the same as last year. More at http://2011.uxlondon.com.

19 Oct 2010 - 12:50am
USID Foundation
18 Oct 2010 - 4:18pm
3 years ago
1 reply
hassan.schroede...

Can we improve dropdowns?

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM, bojcampbell wrote:

> Hassan, I'm not talking about menu items. I'm talking about
> what can be called HTML "Select" boxes. If you have examples
> of Select Boxes revealing their selections on hover and
> not on a click event, please share the links.
> That is exactly what I would like to see.

I'm not sure why you want to distinguish a select element from any
other markup-as-list for this use case, but here you go:

http://webtuitive.com/samples/select-with-hover.html

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder

18 Oct 2010 - 1:38pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Eva Miller

Backcasting material

I'm looking for any great materials out there about using backcasting as a participatory design technique. I've reviewed Matthew Milan and Sam Ladner's 2007 presentation:

http://www.slideshare.net/mmilan/backcasting-ia-summit-2007-session-presentation

17 Oct 2010 - 11:32pm
Angel Anderson

Scent Design Activity At Interaction '11

Eight lucky people attending Interaction ’11 will get to visit a perfumery here in Boulder called the Essence Studio as part of the Interaction ’11 Friday afternoon conference activities. Laurie Lamar has done a great job of selecting a wide array of cool design-related activities to choose from. Since many of you are still deciding which activity to sign up for, I figured I’d explore this particular activity and share my experience.

17 Oct 2010 - 6:08pm
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Can we improve dropdowns?

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Navid wrote: >>What does that mean?? > Panels that open up on hover over content (whether text or graphics) > revealing options, as opposed to drop downs which do so when you click the > currently selected options.

I think you're still confusing actions (click, hover) and effects.

And in this case I think the effects are more what's under discussion; do you have any examples of the alternatives you're considering?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

17 Oct 2010 - 3:54pm
3 years ago
1 reply
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Can we improve dropdowns?

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Navid wrote: > I'm involved in a project trying hover instead of drop downs.

What does that mean?? "hover" and "click" are user actions, either of which can trigger an interface change such as revealing a drop-down list.

Since "hover" and "drop down" are not mutually exclusive; maybe you can be a bit more precise about what you're actually doing (as well as what you're trying to avoid).

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

15 Oct 2010 - 1:23pm
Josh Damon Williams

Boulder rocks! Travel info and more for Interaction'11

Good morning IxDAers!

In answer to a number of travel-related questions that we've seen in the Twitter stream, our conference chairs have pulled together some details that should help you with your planning.

First, you can get an overview of details from this post by co-conference chair Jon Kolko:
http://www.ixda.org/interaction/news/2010/10/join-us-in-boulder/

14 Oct 2010 - 10:32pm
swahid

Social Experience Designer

Hi,

I am a PhD candidate in the Center for HCI and Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. I plan on finishing my PhD work by December 2010. I would be interested in learning more about the social experience designer position at RIM.

My own work—focusing on design artifacts and storyboarding—and my previous user research internship experiences at IBM Research have allowed me to develop extensive user research skills. Over the years, I have developed expertise in quantitative and qualitative methods in lab, remote, and field environments.