Discussion Archive: November 2010

18 Nov 2010 - 9:21am
3 years ago
1 reply
David Hirshfield

RE: [IxDA] Should I stay or should I go?

In a situation where an employee that announces their intent to leave A, then remains because they were offered terms that matched or exceeded their offer from B, two interpersonal outcomes are typical. In the first, A's management views the employee as a more valuable individual. Apart from the increased money, the individual feels more appreciated and everyone is happy. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that more typically A's management feel cornered into matching B's offer; and from that point on no longer completely trust the employee.

18 Nov 2010 - 5:00am
3 years ago
1 reply
William Hudson
18 Nov 2010 - 2:32am
+2
3 years ago
1 reply
Sachendra

Can you redesign a chocolate bar?

Found this very interesting article:

David Sherwin, author of the upcoming book Creative Workshop, is sharing some of the design challenges from his book on his blog. Some of these are really fun and provocative.

This week’s challenge:

Choose a product you use as part of your day-to-day life—food, drink, paper products, etc.—and  redesign or repackage it so that consumers will want to use less of it.

17 Nov 2010 - 8:41pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Ryan Betts

Anyone selling their Interaction '11 registration?

I blinked, and the conference sold out. Great to see, though!

If anyone is selling their registration, please let me know. 

17 Nov 2010 - 6:26pm
Katie Pandey

Platform selection for Pharma Apps - An argument for Tablet PC or iPad?

I am wondering if any of you have been faced with the dilemma of your pharma client having to make a choice between existing equipment investment in tablet PCs and buying iPads for edetailing?

We would like to capitalize on the iPad for a pilot but need to come up with some pros and cons...

I would love to heard your thoughts...

Katie

17 Nov 2010 - 3:36pm
Wendy Fischer

looking for iphone/ipad user experience designers

I'm working at a large international bank in San Francisco and we need a couple more contract/freelance user experience designers for some iPhone and iPad projects. There is some short term freelance work that could turn into some long term work potentially.

17 Nov 2010 - 3:21pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Sunny Medwed

Designing for Teens

Hey there,
I am embarking on an online eCommerce project for which teens are the primary target market. This is a new audience for me. Of course most usability principles are broad enough to apply to all audiences, however, I'm curious if anyone has a POV on things that are unique to teens. This may include:
- interaction principles
- usability principles
- device vs desktop web
- copy/content considerations

17 Nov 2010 - 2:22pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Fredrik Matheson

Re: [IxDA] Should I stay or should I go?

At which company will you learn the most and be able to connect with the most interesting people?

17 Nov 2010 - 1:03pm
3 years ago
10 replies
Bender

Should I stay or should I go?

I have been out of school and working for 4 years, the last 2 as UX Engineer at a small VC-funded Canadian internet startup (Company A). It's a delightful place to work, conveniently close to where I live, with a good salary and a great CEO who understands and appreciates the design process and generously provides any resources I need.

17 Nov 2010 - 12:34pm
eberger

Re: [IxDA] Use Case Modeling

tessa wrote:

I use Adobe's CS. Setting up the doc in InDesign (parent doc),
linking/embedding Illustrator diagrams into that. Works nicely since all
revisions can be done from one doc (the InDesign template) and then made into
a PDF. I see no reason to not link/embed short videos/screen captures in the parent
use case doc as well.I also see no reason to continue using Visio and various
unrelated programs to help complete its shortcomings.