Discussion Archive: November 2010

17 Nov 2010 - 12:20pm
3 years ago
1 reply
jasonbrush

Event at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, tomorrow night, Thursday 11/18, featuring speakers from BMW Group, Landor & Schematic

Tomorrow night, Thursday November 18th, Schematic (where I work) is hosting a symposium together with the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, focused on the intersections between marketing and product design that agencies, designers and brands are encountering more and more these days. Along with myself, the symposium will feature Russ Meyer, Landor's CSO, and Holger Hampf, BMW Group DesignworkUSA's Director of Product Design.

17 Nov 2010 - 11:25am
stephanie walker

building excitement about upcoming design changes

I play World of Warcraft and with the upcoming release of a new expansion for the game, the current version has undergone some changes. The most noticeable is an occasional shaking of the ground. It's a nifty way of foreshadowing the new expansion (which will crack open the ground in most zones).

17 Nov 2010 - 10:39am
3 years ago
6 replies
tobr

Making technical terms more descriptive

How do you find the best name or title for a function in an application? For example, if creating software for sound editing - many traditional audio terms are very technical, such as "normalization", "amplitude envelope", "dynamic compression" etc. For a novice user, these terms don't say much about what will happen to the sound. Might it be desirable to come up with new, more descriptive terms for these things, despite the risk of confusing advanced users who already know the technical terms? How would one find a term that as many users as possible can understand?

17 Nov 2010 - 8:59am
3 years ago
8 replies
Tim Schneidermeier

Use Case Modeling

Hi,

I was wondering which kind of setup you use for writing use cases? Do you use a simple Word template or tools like Visual Use Case 2009?

Right now I am using Word for writing and Omnigraffle for doing the diagrams. But there hast to be a better and more efficient way..

Thanks!

17 Nov 2010 - 12:32am
3 years ago
2 replies
isabel

iSchool at Drexel (online) vs. Pratt SILS

I currently work as a visual designer (print and web) with some front-end development skills. I want to transition into interaction design. I'm looking at going to graduate school, but part-time. Does anyone know about the programs at Pratt SILS or the iSchool at Drexel's online program? i would rather be in a classroom environment interacting with students than doing an online program, but the iSchool at Dexel is ranked in the top ten. Are there any other part-time programs worth looking at in NYC? Thanks!

16 Nov 2010 - 11:06pm
3 years ago
72 replies
uxmovement

Why Left Search Buttons Perform Faster Than Right

Research has shown that having or not having a search button makes no difference to pro users. However, for novice users, right search buttons are generally slow and inefficient. To me, the solution is simple. A left search button reduces visual fixations, puts the label first and makes doing searches faster for users. 

16 Nov 2010 - 9:22pm
3 years ago
2 replies
interactive fiction

Approach to Text User Interface Design?

This is really just a thought experiment that popped into my head.

16 Nov 2010 - 9:53am
Tori Breitling

[EVENT] IxDA Austin // Tuesday, Nov 30 // You Don't Know Me at All! User Research for the Cheap and Lazy

Hey, we know you're not actually cheap or lazy... you just live in the real world! Your project is behind schedule. Your funding got cut. Your team is understaffed and doesn't know the first thing about the users! How can you be expected to put together user profiles or personas under those circumstances?

It's not a lost cause. You've still got options!
We'll cover:
different types of research to consider
sources of important and FREE information

16 Nov 2010 - 7:46am
3 years ago
1 reply
frank dahle

Java based web frameworks - any experiences regarding flexibility and frontend design?

In the planning of a large scale web application project the following web frameworks has been suggested:

• JBoss Seam
  • Spring Web Flow
  • Spring MVC
  • JSF
  • PrimeFaces
  • Struts
  • Stripes
  • Tapestry
  • Wicket
  • AppFuse
  • Turbine

My concern as the principal consultant on user experience is to avoid any frameworks with limitations that can compromise our main target, an efficient, user friendly concept. I'm sure you all know my concerns in this regard.

15 Nov 2010 - 8:27pm
3 years ago
2 replies
pabini

Reminder :: Silicon Valley IxDA Event :: iPhone, Android, and Windows, Oh My! What's a Mobile App Designer To Do? :: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at Google

Please note the address change and join us for our next Silicon Valley IxDA event! Suzanne Ginsburg, author of Designing the iPhone User Experience, will give a talk titled: iPhone, Android, and Windows, Oh My! What's a Mobile App Designer To Do?