15 Nov 2010 - 6:47pm
3 years ago
3 replies
tstutts

Announcing The New Look Of AA.com

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/new.jsp

-- Tim Stutts

Interaction Designer and Creative Technologist www.pushpopdesign.com

ui archives: www.cargocollective.com/pushpopdesign art projects : www.timstutts.com us # +1 1 323 892-2998 es # +34 645596761 skype: timstutts

15 Nov 2010 - 4:38pm
3 years ago
4 replies
JasonAlexander

The NDA Barrier

I have really had this day with a recruiter, going back and forth regarding work samples.  I am relatively new to the UX field and I do not have the 5+ years of experience that so many job postings are requiring!

I only have a few deliverables that are not protected by a "non-disclosure agreement" or "not to be shown without specific written consent of <"blank">.  I understand I won't make any headway with this recruiter, though I am perplexed at her attempt to even try to understand my deliervable's, since it has been clear they are very foreign to her!

15 Nov 2010 - 11:04am
3 years ago
3 replies
smitty777

Usable Color Palette Algorithm

Hi all, 

Does anyone have experience creating a usable color palette pro grammatically?   I have to create a color palette in RGB that must be easily discrimnable and avoids highly saturated colors.  I was thinking along the lines of selecting random RGB values, but restricting certain combinations of values.  Any ideas ?

Thanks, 

Bill

15 Nov 2010 - 10:27am
Lisa Goldberg

Re: [IxDA] High-End Users in a Low-End Web.

Regarding the smartphone/mobile question, mobile and desktop tasks are different. It's not just a question of the back end--you need to present different options in mobile vs. desktop sites. See these links below for some key differences:

http://www.intentindex.com/ http://www.intentindex.com/mobile/

I don't think you can say that channels such as mobile and social networking sites have supplanted traditional websites. They are used for different purposes.

Sincerely, Lisa

15 Nov 2010 - 9:43am
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] High-End Users in a Low-End Web.

I think you're seeing the combination of two factors, of which Jared has correctly identified one. Try this on for size:

"Most people in the world (and probably most people who use the Web) don't search but if they do, they use Google"

"Most people in the world don't use social network sites, but if they do they use Facebook." (of course these are exaggerations, but play along for a minute please)

What has happened is that a few monopolist-like(*) companies (google, apple, facebook, amazon, ebay) have dominated their particular segment of the Web space.

14 Nov 2010 - 10:03pm
3 years ago
13 replies
Marc-Oliver

High-End Users in a Low-End Web.

I am working on an article for the User Experience Magazine and wanted to reach out a bit, to get some feedback from the community about a statement I wanna put out (Web sites became useful for less reasons).

14 Nov 2010 - 7:50am
IxDA Board of D...

Reminder: Nominations now open for the 2011-2013 IxDA Board of Directors

Below is the original call for nominations to the IxDA Board of Directors.

To clarify:

• You may fill out the form for yourself, or you may indicate and recommend someone you feel should apply.
  • We will contact all recommended individuals, asking them to complete the form. This gives us a sense of interest, approach and vision.
  • All complete nomination forms must be submitted prior to Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 11:59 pm ET.

---------------------------------------

12 Nov 2010 - 12:32pm
nicholas

Mobile UX designer, NYC

Hey, IXDA'ers -

We (Diversion Media) are looking for a UX designer for two mobile projects (iPhone/iPad).

You should be highly familiar with Apple's HIGs, produce great deliverables, and be close enough to Union Square to come meet with us on-site a few times a week.

Start can be immediate and initial engagement would be two months (with a two-week mutual tryout period).

Good work, great technical team, good clients, pleasant folks.

5 years of experience is not required: recent grads are fine as long as your chops are tight.

thanks

nb

(www.diversionmedia.com) (a

12 Nov 2010 - 12:27pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Scott McDaniel

Kinect provides Minority Report-like interactions

Since we've often discussed the appearance and relevance of sci-fi movie interactions, and Minority Report gets brought up for various points: http://gizmodo.com/5688319/minority-report-courtesy-of-kinect

It's the future, everybody! Welcome to Costco, I love you!

Scott

-- ´Jesus and I agreed to see other people, but that don´t mean we still don´t talk time to time´

12 Nov 2010 - 6:31am
3 years ago
1 reply
David Otton

Re: [IxDA] Retype password field error rates

On 11 November 2010 22:30, Dana Chisnell wrote:

> on pattern because IT says there must be a log on.