Discussion Archive: January 2011

12 Jan 2011 - 4:27pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Michelle Bacigalupi

Bext Pracrices for Self-Service Portals

Hi,

I've been doing so research on self-service account management portals. So far I've found some great articles but few actual examples. Does any one have ones they consider follow best UX practices...or even ones that clearly don't.

Thanks!

Michelle

12 Jan 2011 - 4:43am
Graham Sear

Incorporating persuasion, emotion and trust triggers on user journeys

Hi all,

Currently putting together some user journeys that incorporate emotional flow (positive and negative) and different triggers that can be put in place throughout the user journey to either combat negative ones or re-enforce positive ones; these will then go on to inform the PET strategy.

11 Jan 2011 - 4:40pm
Terms:
Jared M. Spool

[PLUG] UIE Book Club: 2/1 - Robert Hoekman's Designing the Obvious 2nd Edition

[Apologies for any cross posting.]

UIE Book Club: Designing the Obvious, Second Edition
by Robert Hoekman Jr.
Tuesday, February 1 - 3pm ET / 2pm CT / 1pm MT / Noon PT

Join me in February, as I kick off the 2011 UX Book Club with the talented and funny Robert Hoekman, Jr.

The 2nd edition of Designing the Obvious just showed up in my mailbox and, wow, I’m excited. The first edition was a great book -- so great that I kept lending my copy out and not getting back. I think I bought 5 of them.

11 Jan 2011 - 1:43pm
+1
Scott McDaniel

The Oatmeal: How to make a Shopping Cart

A little light humor that's all about IxD:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/shopping_cart

Warning: naughty, naughty words used.

Cheers, Scott

11 Jan 2011 - 9:30am
William Hudson
11 Jan 2011 - 3:29am
3 years ago
5 replies
Sean Pook
10 Jan 2011 - 5:27pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
Shilpi Joshi

What is the difference between a User Experience Designer, Information Architect and Visual Designer?

On behalf of Bestica, we wish a rocking and creative 2011 to the Interaction Design community :)

Recently couple of our clients has been using UX Designer title for a Visual Designer role. So, our question is:

10 Jan 2011 - 11:03am
3 years ago
1 reply
sherihy

Qs about the business of being a consultant

With the new year, I'm thinking a need to get some better systems in place with regards to running my own interaction design business. Some questions for those who are consultants/freelance/solo practitioners:

- assuming you are on a long-term job, what percentage of your available working hours are billable? What is a good target? (I work from home and I always seem to spend some of my working hours doing laundry, etc.)

- what software do you use to track your hours?

- what software do you use to bill your clients and keep track of paid and unpaid bills?

10 Jan 2011 - 6:54am
3 years ago
6 replies
Queen Catherine

Grand Majority of movies suck arse - is there a role for UX in cinema?

I'm constantly astounded at the increasing inability of "successful" movies to tell stories, build characters, and make an actual point.

<rant>

I'm a firm believer in narrative - essentially a story needs to have a point (of some sort) - otherwise it's fluff-tastic.

8 Jan 2011 - 8:11pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Rhiannon Gallagher

Boulder Conference Registration for Sale . . .

Hi there -

I won't be able to make it to the Conference this year, so I have a registration to sell. No workshops, but the Fireman's Interface on Friday, which is sold out.

Send an email to rhiannon@digitalpeaks.com if you have a hankering for Boulder . . .

Rhiannon