3 years ago
1 reply
darci
10 Feb 2011 - 4:27pm
3 years ago
2 replies
jeff noyes

Controller that triages tasks

I'm looking for examples where the UI triages tasks by feature or role.  For example, Dreamweaver allows you to toggle the UI differently for designers vs developers: https://skitch.com/jeff.noyes/rqrut/dreamweaver
Alias Wavefront Maya allows you to triage the UI by Modeling | Animation | Rendering | Dynamics.
Do you know of others? 

--
Jeff Noyes
Director of user experience   |   Acquia
978.296.5237   |   @jeffnoyes

10 Feb 2011 - 2:44pm
MakeMyTrip

MakeMyTrip Design Challenge

Why this Design Challenge?

You might have heard of MakeMyTrip. We’re hopeful you’re even a customer that has bought from us. Well, over 3M paying customers have bought from us! If you’re a product or a design professional, I’m sure you’ve had ideas such as “why don’t they do it this way or that way”. Well, here’s your chance to get in the door and help transform India’s leading Online Travel Company into an even more delightful experience.

Got Talent?

10 Feb 2011 - 12:43pm
spearson

Your feedback about a proposed Master’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction & Design

The University of Washington needs your feedback about a proposed Master’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction & Design (MHCI+d).  The program will create leaders in solving the user interface and interaction design problems of tomorrow, but they need input from professionals in today’s industry.

9 Feb 2011 - 5:29pm
cfmdesigns

Re: [IxDA] design exercises and/or portfolio review during interview

You're right on one level: if you're asking them to do legitimate work on the problems you are currently working on, then you should pay them for the time (whether you adopt their solution or not!).

But I think most of us would advocate for a sample design task not related to the specific work being hired for: we want to see how you attack a problem more than the answer you get. (Just like high school math class: show your work.) Let us see how you do things you do.

Showing a portfolio largely demonstrates completed work.

9 Feb 2011 - 5:23pm
3 years ago
1 reply
cfmdesigns

Re: [IxDA] how to design collaboratively in an interview

Trying to introduce collaboration into the interview, while it sounds good is probably just a recipe for disaster.

9 Feb 2011 - 11:56am
Amanda Nance

how to design collaboratively in an interview

This is an off-shoot of the earlier topic on giving a design exercise in an interview. Several people mentioned making this as realistic as possible; for example, if the design process is collaborative on the hiring team, it should be collaborative during the interview.

That makes sense, but I'm not sure how to go about it. (Maybe this is why Jared said it is hard to do this effectively.) Let's say that I am interviewing the candidate. It might be hard for me to be a collaborator on the design exercise since I'm trying to evaluate the candidate.

9 Feb 2011 - 9:59am
3 years ago
2 replies
Judith

Recruiting Senior Information Architect

Seeking an information architect to be part of a small team at a niche agency. The right candidate would be a hands-on advocate for the project and for usability -- from discovery through launch.

This is an opportunity for someone with a well-rounded skill set to take a more strategic role and truly have a strong influence on creating quality work.

8 Feb 2011 - 5:26pm
3 years ago
3 replies
warmregards

Salary Requirements in Austin, Texas

Hi there,

I had my first interview with a company who is very much interested in me. I am originally from Boston, MA and I'm currently living in Spain. The company is in Austin, TX. They wanted my salary requirements but I'm really not sure what to give them. Based on the research I've done It seems that 62k would be an accurate figure. As an intern in Boston I made 33/hour or about 67k per year equivalent. I have 2 years of experience (2 internships in Human Factors) and a Masters of Science in Industrial Engineering specializing in Human Factors Engineering. 

8 Feb 2011 - 6:24am
Mads Soegaard

New encyclopedia on Interactive Design, Usability and User Experience

[Resending, as the first one didn't go through]

Dear ixd'ers,

We are proud to introduce a new type of top-quality and free encyclopedia dealing with Interactive Design, Usability, and User Experience.