Discussion Archive: April 2011

29 Apr 2011 - 4:59pm
3 years ago
3 replies
mikequery

Aspiring UXer, in a unique situation. Need advice!

Hi there,

I'm new to the community, thanks in advance for the welcome :) So I've been out of college since 07, and I'm in a pretty unique situation with my current role and I'd like some advice for how to proceed. 

29 Apr 2011 - 3:08am
Jan Jursa

[IxDA] Berlin IA Cocktail Hour #18

Pictures: Berlin IA Cocktail Hour #18 "Hot in the City"http://bit.ly/mfUdzx (Cocktail Hour Blog)

28 Apr 2011 - 2:47am
Sonica Singh

UX Fusion Document

Hi All,

I am looking for a sample of Fusion document which is created after the fusion workshop.
Any links/ pointers would also help.

Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sonica Singh
Senior Information Architect 

28 Apr 2011 - 2:45am
+1
Simon Clatworthy

Research into Service Design in Norway

The Oslo School of Architecture and Design has been working with Service Design for several years now, and has built up a small group of researchers and practitioners. We have now been awarded considerable research funding as partners in the Centre for Service Innovation in Norway, and have responsibility for work within the area of 'Brand and Customer Experience'. This will have an 8 year duration.

27 Apr 2011 - 4:58pm
3 years ago
3 replies
MPawson

Tools for organizing Faceted Navigation ideas

I am running cardsorts, brainstorming, researching, using post it notes etc etc in order to develop a better IA schema on an internal knowledge base app. Any recommendations on tools that allow you to take those ahah moments or "maybe this will work" ideas and get them down on something better than scrawled notes and whiteboards.

27 Apr 2011 - 4:08pm
3 years ago
3 replies
fj

UXer Going To The Next Level

Here in London I am pretty much seeing four classes of jobs being posted by the recruiters:

Junior, entry level, up to £30K

Mid, 3 -5 years of experience, up to £45K

Senior, 5+ years, up to £70K

Head of UX, so be a manager instead of a UX practitioner, £80K

27 Apr 2011 - 4:05pm
3 years ago
1 reply
interactive fiction

Keyboards vs Joysticks

Earlier today an article appeared on Slashdot discussing "roguelike" games. The article subject itself isn't important, but the discussion it sparked was interesting. Because roguelike games use keyboard controls, a lot of posts were made regarding the superiority of keyboards over joysticks and other controllers. Personally, I can't stand keyboard controls. I get the value it offers with control options, but I've always found their use very awkward for anything beyond, say, adventure games (the old ones) or interactive fiction. Whar about those of you who make games?
27 Apr 2011 - 12:59pm
David Lafon

Usability resources in London

Can anyone recommend a firm to do usability recruiting and facilitation in London?  Any ideas on what I can reasonably expect to pay?

Thanks in advance

Dave

25 Apr 2011 - 11:49pm
Pankaj Chawla

Usefulness of "Tip of the Day" window on application startup?

Hi

Just wondering if there is any research/findings on how effective are Tip Of The Day dialogs on application startup. They got popularised by MS long back but MS left it out later though I see lot of applications stiil having them.

Cheers

Pankaj

PS: Its been a long time since I posted on ixda and its good to be back.