Discussion Archive: June 2011

19 Jun 2011 - 7:03pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
Agradoot Ghatak

How can we establish the best design under technological constraint ?

I am working with an approach of solving strategic design decision under various constraints. Usually there is always a challenge for design managers to establish a design concept however revolutionary it considered. Often these revolutionary designs can not be fitted in to the scheme of implementation due to various constraints such as technology revamping, large amount of framework re-engineering, engaging cutting edge skill workers etc. Finally these outstanding pieces of creative effort become an overhead on budget.

17 Jun 2011 - 9:23pm
3 years ago
61 replies
Byron Stewart

Why are personas written from the third-person perspective so pervasive?

First-person personas are more engaging, and by mimicking tone patterns, grammar usage and other linguistic characteristics that may be possessed by the persona would result in the ability to communicate more with less writing.

17 Jun 2011 - 11:06am
+1
3 years ago
2 replies
IxDA Board of D...

Announcing Suzanne EL-Moursi as Chair of Interaction|13

Dear all,

On behalf of IxDA's Board of Directors, it is with great pleasure that we announce Suzanne EL-Moursi, Creative Director at SapientNitro in Chicago, as Chair of Interaction|13, to be held in North America in February 2013. Suzanne's vision, expertise and experience inspired us, and we look forward to working with her to bring an amazing event to life.

Wirelessapps

Wanted

Calling all graphic designers, User experience, information architects, User Interface Designers, Artists, Professionals. If you have experience in any of these areas and you live in/around Orange County, CA, please join my group at http://www.WirelessApps.Tk 

I'm currenty working with designers and coders on a number of projects and this will be a great opportunity for you to learn, share and be a part of something revolutionary in Orange County.

Please share this with others in your network.

http://www.WirelessApps.Tk 

16 Jun 2011 - 10:39am
3 years ago
2 replies
nicholas

carousel nav best practices?

Client X, an editorial content site, wants a carousel on their homepage to display 4-5 content features.

Goes under the nav on the left side (2 columns wide).

Question: within the carousel module, should navigation among features be on the bottom (horizontal alignment) or on the right side of the module (vertical alignment)?

I do have an opinion, which I'll post after a bit, but am hoping for some validation ; )

thanks in advance

nb

16 Jun 2011 - 6:37am
3 years ago
11 replies
Ali Naqvi

Attaching a video of yourself with your job application

Hello,

There are tons of UX, Interaction design jobs in North America and Europe. I have many times thought about applying for jobs in Canada. Since I am based in Europe the recruiter may not be able to "invite" me for an interview, so everyting has to be done via a long distance call.

My creativity lately wants me to send a video of myself where I present myself and maybe even record the current work location and get some recommendations from current colleagues.

The idea is that this videofile can be attached to the email along with my resume.doc file and cv.doc file.

15 Jun 2011 - 4:27pm
Kiruba

Big (D)esign Event, July 14–16 in Dallas

The Big Design Conference is three intense days of learning within the scope of Strategy, User Experience, and Code Development - taking place July 14–16 in Dallas.

Experts from across the country will gather to present theories, research, experiences, and best practices to students, professionals, and executives looking to stay on the bleeding edge.

Use discount code "Bestica20" for 20% Discounts.

15 Jun 2011 - 4:22pm
+1
3 years ago
17 replies
hellomarc

How to get my company to understand the value of investing in UI/UX

I am in charge of a defining & launching a potential game-changing web-based service.  My company has a mixed history of launching products without putting the user at the center of the definition and design process.  The president has told me not to worry about validation (functional or UI) - "we'll validate after we ship, then tweak the UI based on the feedback".  

15 Jun 2011 - 10:28am
3 years ago
1 reply
Mads Soegaard

Conference organizers: Please add your conference (if it's a *major* and well-renowned conference)!

Dear all,

If you are the conference/publicity chair of one of the conferences below, please add your conference at:
http://www.interaction-design.org/calendar/

If you know the conference/publicity chair, please ask him/her to add the conference.

Missing conferences

WikiSym - International Symposium on Wikis

HICSS - Hawaii International International Conference on Systems Science

15 Jun 2011 - 10:25am
3 years ago
1 reply
Mads Soegaard

A list of conferences/deadlines with relevance to our community

Dear all,

[apologies for cross-postings]

Here is my list of conferences/deadlines with relevance to our community, which I aim to send out every quarter (or so).

There's a printerfriendly version (for hanging on your wall) at 

http://www.interaction-design.org/calendar/printerfriendly.html

The conference calendar

All dates can be edited at

http://www.interaction-design.org/calendar/

---------------------------------------------------