Discussion Archive: August 2011

31 Aug 2011 - 8:26pm
2 years ago
9 replies
AnUnimaginaryKid

What are the "main" differences between getting a degree (e.g., MI) from an "iSchool" vs. an getting an MDes or MFA from an IxD specific program? And which would be better for someone with a humanities background?

Hello!

I'm new to this site and have been reading a bunch about master's programs for IxD since I've been preparing to apply for the Fall 2012 term. This whole field is relatively new to me (I only found out about it about half a year ago) and at first I was concentrating on strictly IxD programs (like at CMU or U of Wash), but have lately found threads where iSchools were mentioned as being good because it doesn't require a design background, so I started taking a look at those.

31 Aug 2011 - 4:54pm
3 years ago
3 replies
digikev

Studying at the Open University

I am about to start studying at the Open University (opens in new window), and picking modules that will increase my knowledge and progress my career as a UX designer. The modules cover cognitive psychology, technology and design. This is what I am looking at so far:

Level 2 modules

31 Aug 2011 - 9:23am
2 years ago
1 reply
Brian Sullivan

Tips for Performing a Multiple Channel Usability

My cleint wants me to perform a mulitple channel usability test, where we might have someone print a boarding pass on the web, go to a kiosk to print a luggage tag, and use their mobile device to pick their seat.  I think it is best to do this kind of scenario type testing, where I can view the person.

Has anyone ever done a test like this before?  What advice do you have for me?

30 Aug 2011 - 2:20pm
3 years ago
1 reply
alotofmath

Usability for Content Created in a CMS (Content Management Systems)

Hello,

I am working in a library, and doing some user experience and Web design work there.  This is really my first position in which I am doing these sorts of things...I am also a student at Philadelphia University's Interactive design and media program

30 Aug 2011 - 10:45am
Agradoot Ghatak

The cultural impact on choosing a type face.

Designers often use different fonts to depict mood or theme for various subjects such as sports, business, comic, horror, fun etc. . . Do we have any best practices about choosing right fonts for conveying those moods? What are the cultural aspect of choosing a type face while designing for different country and culture? Is there any research to know - how people in different part of the world react seeing different fonts or type face?

29 Aug 2011 - 10:20pm
3 years ago
15 replies
Neil Lee

Password masking in registration forms

Hi everyone -

Some context: I'm working on a redesign of a login & registration system for a large web site. User registration is required to post comments to stories, subscribe to newsletters and post media (photos, video) for public viewing only. No financial or private data is stored other than publicly posted information.

One of my personal goals is to reduce the amount of user anxiety and friction involved with registration.

29 Aug 2011 - 4:19pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Robert Cockburn
29 Aug 2011 - 3:51pm
3 years ago
2 replies
alui0000

Paginating a categorized list

Hi,

I have a list on a mobile screen that is organized into categories that does not fall into a continum. Let's just say that it is 'North', 'East', 'South' and 'West'. The list is loaded remotely and everytime only 10 can be retrieved from the server. Is there any good example of an UI that work for such a list? The regular stream that the Facebook and Google+ won't work. I don't want to show all the North entries, have him scroll down and wait for entries for 'East', 'South' and 'West'.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

29 Aug 2011 - 2:39pm
3 years ago
2 replies
MPawson

Examples of switching between Mobile and Desktop website

We are building a mobile web application - not a mobile app - to view a portion of our secure web app. It should support BB, IOS and Android touch devices. No non touch support is planned at this point. The purpose of the mobile app is to give the customer enough info to know whether they have to get to their computer to do further analysis or not.

28 Aug 2011 - 8:10pm
+1
3 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
KyleLin

[Local][Video] IxDA 8th - interactive clothes design

IxDA Taiwan just completed an interesting workshop.

In this local event, all participants are requested to design a interactive clothes that could help our daily life.

After design session, we use the projector to display the clothes on the designers' body.

It shows the great effect and gains the fasnatic echo.

--

Check out that day we together at Yahoo! Taiwan office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A95yyv2H_Hk

Follow IxDA Taiwan on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ixda.tw