Discussion Archive: August 2011

22 Aug 2011 - 3:02pm
2 years ago
4 replies
Brian Mila

Using remote desktop instead of onsite visit for persona creation

Has anyone tried using remote desktop sharing tools to gather user data for the purposes of persona creation and user scenario definitions? I'd like to fully understand the pros and cons before I put a proposal on the table. My initial thoughts are that it would be less successful for the following reasons, in order of importance:

22 Aug 2011 - 2:46pm
We Make Sense

Form Best Practice for multiple options to upload text

Hi there.

I've been looking for some examples of forms which provide multiple options for the user to input an amount of text.

In my case it would be upload a document, link to the document online or copy and paste the text into a text area.

I'm looking to find out the best way of showing that you can only do one of the three actions.

Any advice much appreciated.

WMS

22 Aug 2011 - 10:18am
Jim Kalbach

[EVENT] Upcoming: Workshop on Web Navigation and Faceted Search in NYC, Oct 22

Friends,

I’m happy to announce a one-day training event I’ll be giving in NYC in October. Please pass this on to any colleagues who may be interested.

20 Aug 2011 - 11:27pm
2 years ago
5 replies
iokasti

what is interaction design

Hi everyone,

I know this subject came up before, but I'm still very confused about how to define roles in all this terminology of UX UI IA etc.

All I want is to find a job with my skills, and often times I'm intimidated with the terminology. So my skillset is Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Flash, some HTML, CSS, and some AS3, could I be a UI designer?

I've designed websites in the days of dreamweaver, and I have designed my own wordpress site recently, so I do get by with some web dev coding although it's not my edge. I am mostly visual and conceptual.

19 Aug 2011 - 10:14am
2 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
R Sengers

UPA DC's User Focus Conference 9/16/2011

User Focus, the DC area's premier conference for usability and user experience professionals, will be held at Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel on Friday, September 16, 2011. http://userfocus.org

The conference, hosted each year by the DC Chapter of the Usability Professionals' Association, is a great place to learn about new trends in usability, share experiences with other local practitioners and hone the skills in your usability tool kit.

IxDA Board of D...

IxDA Interaction Awards - Submit and celebrate your work!

It's time to celebrate our achievements as interaction designers. It's time for us demonstrate that the work we do is impactful, it's everywhere and it is absolutely necessary in designing the best products, systems and services.  IxDA is proud to have added the Interaction Awards as a new platform for us to celebrate our discipline, and reflect amazing work back out beyond our communities to the broader design and business communities.

I encourage you to take pride in the work you've done and submit it for consideration to the IxDA Interaction Awards. Encourage your colleagues. Encourage your design communities.  Here's your chance to shine a global light on the good work happening in your area of the world. We're extending the deadline until September 22, so you have few more weeks to submit your work! Please enter the awards by Thursday, September 22nd.

17 Aug 2011 - 10:50pm
2 years ago
2 replies
gejoreni

Usability survey validation, please help

Hi all, I am creating a usability survey that encompasses some of the specifics tasks to my project. I want to validate the survey by comparing it to similar surveys as well as dissimilar surveys (to also hopefully discount of some unrelated potentially influencing factors.) Can anyone recommend some good surveys unrelated to usability that I can use for this. Some Ideas would be job satisfaction, emotional intelligence etc. All ideas are welcome, including good old related usability surveys (i.e. SUS, SUM) I may be missing some.

17 Aug 2011 - 3:20pm
2 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
adamgrabo

How often do you revisit and/or update your personas?

I'm curious how often you revisit and/or update personas for long-term use.

Right now, I'm considering making a few revisions to personas that we've created a while back (that was nearly 18 months ago and we newer information we'd like to incorporate) and this got me wondering how other IXDAers approach the persona life cycle.

Do you revisit your personas periodically? If so, how often do you find this to be valuable?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Adam

17 Aug 2011 - 12:20am
2 years ago
1 reply
Gary Barber

On-line collaborative design walls / spaces

I often work with distributed teams (due to my remote location).

16 Aug 2011 - 2:47pm
2 years ago
6 replies
AndrewHInton

How do users really interact with site headers/footers/global nav?

I'm looking for some helpful research/analysis on how users interact (or don't) with website headers/footers/global navs.