Discussion Archive: October 2011

31 Oct 2011 - 5:10am
2 years ago
46 replies
Vicky Teinaki

Don Norman vs The Realities of Web Design?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if many of you are on the PHD-DESIGN list, but Don Norman recently slammed an educational website to the extent of saying people shouldn't study there:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1110&L=PHD-DESIGN&F=&S=&P=189824

31 Oct 2011 - 1:51am
2 years ago
9 replies
danpep

Looking for UI/UX assistance

Hi,

I work with a non-profit hospital in rural India, JSS (www.jssbilaspur.org), that is building an open-source, volunteer-driven, health information system and is in need of assistance with UI/UX design.

30 Oct 2011 - 9:29am
2 years ago
16 replies
BitterD

Going from Game to IxD industry

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide me some guidance. I have a Bachelors Degree in Industrial Design and Human-Computer Interaction. I entered the game industry instead, thinking there would be plenty of interaction/UX design opportunities (since I thought games are supposedly highly interactive).

IxDA Interactio...

2012 Interaction Awards: Shortlist Announced!

Great news! We’ve finalized the shortlist of entries in consideration for the 2012 Interaction Awards. The following projects will be evaluated by our esteemed international Jury Panel when they convene in New York City on November 12 & 13.

28 Oct 2011 - 12:11pm
2 years ago
1 reply
Dave Malouf

Check out our amazing Sponsors for Interaction12 | Dublin

As Interaction 12 | Dublin gets closer and before we get ready to announce more of our exciting program, as the chair for Sponsors and Partners, it is my pleasure to announce our collection of sponsors and partners without whom we would not be able to bring you these annual global conferences.

We have already announced our Diamond sponsor, Google, who is not only sponsoring our conference but also our IxDA Awards which combined is unprecedented support of IxDA by any single organization.

27 Oct 2011 - 1:22pm
2 years ago
2 replies
mattinteractive

Research on the impact of usability on learning in instructional games

I'm currently at the beginning stages of developing my thesis for an M.S. in Instructional Technology at Bloomsburg University. Over the past couple of years, I've become increasingly interested in instructional games and simulations as effective learning tools. However, as a UX and IXD professional, my focus has narrowed more on the UI aspects of instructional design -- more specifically instructional game design.

TomGX

Great Designers

http://www.fastcompany.com/design/2011/50-most-influential-designers-in-america

In this month's Fast Company issue. Reminded of how great it is to have such good design influencers. I'm inspired to think about all the categories and roles of design and designers. Good reminder that we are in a great profession with lots of breadth.

26 Oct 2011 - 11:36am
2 years ago
2 replies
Bernard Tyers

Standard interview consent form template?

Hi there,

I am working on an Interaction design project for uni. I will be carrying out an interview of 4-5 users.

Can anyone point me towards a user research interview consent form? One which takes account of audio recording of the interview?

thanks in advance,
Bernard

25 Oct 2011 - 5:18pm
2 years ago
9 replies
LFrancis

Best Practice - Display password parameters on the login page?

Hi,

For a log in process where people may not log in often, does it make sense to place the password parameters (such as: Minimum six characters, maximum 20 characters) as help text adjacent to the password field? Or, would that be more of a security risk then a benefit to people trying to remember their password?

What do you IXDers think?

Thanks!

Linda