Discussion Archive: December 2011

20 Dec 2011 - 6:36am
+1
Mads Soegaard
eklem

6 ideas on how to improve your user driven site

All ideas presented here are revolving around logging in and registering on user driven sites. The ideas are combinations of getting the user more motivated, and lowering the technical thresholds. When the motivation is higher than the perceived thresholds ahead, you ask the user to log in (or register).

16 Dec 2011 - 4:55pm
2 years ago
7 replies
tamella

How many participants would you need to test to determine whether an interface component changed a users behavior? Have you seen this happen?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to get other's thougths on a project I am working on.  

I need to test whether users would change their response based on whether the information was presented in one way vs another way.  For example, a value would be presented as 5 buttons where they could see all of them and click one OR the values could be presented in a slider with tick marks where they user could select one.

16 Dec 2011 - 2:07pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Xavier Veyrat

Start creating mobile applications the right way

Since this place is dedicated to improving all of our skills, I think I will take the right to promote an App I have been working on because it might save a lot of time to anyone who is starting a mobile application. As most of you already know, the mobile space is growing at a fast pace and delivering top quality mockup to clients and developers is more than ever crucial. The point is simple, design is not anymore only graphics, looking at the interaction design is going way beyond this and must integrate the project approach to get the right mix.

16 Dec 2011 - 1:38pm
3 years ago
4 replies
neema
16 Dec 2011 - 9:21am
3 years ago
3 replies
MPawson

Mobile sort and/or filtering patterns for long lists

I need to review examples of how other mobile apps have dealt with long lists of items. Specifically what interface is offered for sorting the list or filtering the list. Ours is a mobile web application - not an IPAD, Android, BB specific app- and it is possible for the customer to have a long list of items. The list displays the item name and a number attribute representing depth. Many customers will have less than 10 items but some could have pages of items and will need a way to either sort by Name or Depth, or filter to find a specific Name.

16 Dec 2011 - 1:50am
3 years ago
8 replies
Terms:
lunytnz

How often do people share with URL vs. Button?

In a recent usability study, when I asked participants to share some info with their friends, some people clicked the Share button on the page, but some people copied the URL out of the address field in the browser and e-mailed it to their friend.  Since this behavior is impossible to capture via analytics, I'm wondering how widespread this behavior might be?  Have you observed this (copy URL) behavior in your own usability studies?  If so, how often did it happen?  I'm wondering if it's a small minority (10%) behavior or a majority (50%+) behavior?

15 Dec 2011 - 5:24pm
2 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
jodeallen

Varying Date Format Display

Has anyone run into a similar problem as described below and come up with any good solutions?

I'm working on a project where we frequently display a list of objects by date from newest to oldest. the Date/Time is part of the display and we generally use the DD MMM YYYY (e.g., 15 Dec 2011).  We have made the display of this format flexible to display only the relevant part of the date to decrease cognitive load as well as a space saver. The algorithm being used is:

15 Dec 2011 - 12:43pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Brian Mila
13 Dec 2011 - 7:30pm
ngchongyang

Merry Christmas - From IxDA Singapore

To all my fellow IxD practitioners, friends and enthusiasts, here's a video wishing you a Merry Christmas!

http://goo.gl/FhWbq

We will continue to inform, educate, and define this industry. This is the future, my dear friends, and I am excited that we are all in it at such an exciting time. Send me, Kiat and everyone in IxDA Singapore topics that you hope for us to present on, and we shall have those put into action in 2012.

Regards,

-Ng Chong Yang, Co-Leader IxDA Singapore.