Discussion Archive: June 2012

30 Jun 2012 - 1:07pm
2 years ago
1 reply
mquirante

HCI Masters - Is it worth it?

Hello,

I've been doing UX design for almost a year now and I am considering taking up a graduate program in HCI at Depaul. For those who have been in the industry or those that hire UX designers:

Is it beneficial at all for me to have this degree? Will it provide me more opportunities? Will I have better leverage for salary negotiation?

I am just wondering if the benefits will out weigh the costs of the program and see if this is something that will accelerate my career and give me more experience while I work full-time as a jr. ux designer.

29 Jun 2012 - 12:51pm
2 years ago
2 replies
scottasavage

Data modeling in prototypes (spec. Axure/Justinmind/iRise)

Hi all,

Just a brief intro before I start: I'm Scott Savage, and I'm a Senior UX Designer with Monster.com on the Government Solutions side. I, and my other UX counterpart, are on the Product Management team, and we're currently using Mockflow for our low-fi prototypes/wireframes, and manually constructing hi-fi versions in either Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and occasionally delivering fully interactive prototypes in HTML/CSS/Javascript.

29 Jun 2012 - 10:09am
2 years ago
7 replies
Ronin

I'm new to interaction design and I could really use some advice.

Hi, I only discovered the career of an interaction designer today to be honest. I just graduated with a degree in management information systems (MIS). interaction design appeals to me more than anything ive ever thought of  in the past but I'm not sure if I have the skills, or where to start looking for a position.

Some of my skills:

28 Jun 2012 - 10:56pm
mdory89

New to IxDA

Hi all, I'm new here. I have a few issues I keep running into. I want to pursue a career in interface design, but I don't know If my portfolio even stands out yet. My school does not have an extensive interface design side program, so I have only had maybe 2 courses in the field. I need advice on what I could do on my own to learn more from tutorial resources or even books. Maybe initiate my own personal projects? Any feedback can help! I'm just really confused on what to do as a student.

philshinn

Call for Participation - Joint AVIxD / IxDA Workshop: Designing for multi-modal interaction

Call for Participation
Joint AVIxD / IxDA Workshop: Designing for multi-modal interaction
Sunday, 12 August 2012 | 1 - 7 PM | New York, New York, USA

Goals

Becubed

Registration now open for Canada's premiere UX design conference!

I'm excited to announce that tickets are now available for Fluxible, a 2-day design conference in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario from September 22-23. Check out our terrific program, jam-packed with amazing speakers -- some of whom you'll recognize as regular contributors to IxDA.

28 Jun 2012 - 9:42am
2 years ago
3 replies
dlines

Good IA Book?

Hi All,

I need to buy ONE good IA book for my UX library and am considering either Information Architecture for the World Wide Web by Morville or Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web by Wodtke.

Any thoughts on which one of those is better to have if I can only get one? Any other recommendations?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Dave

27 Jun 2012 - 3:47pm
2 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
Minmin Wong

Introducing UX @ China in Oslo

Hello,this is Minmin Wang,UX designer from Beijing, China. I come to Oslo, Norway to work on a project assignment. Many types of design here are amazing (ID, UI, Architecture, media, etc).

Oksana

[Live webinar] The Science of Great Site Navigation: Online Card Sorting + Tree Testing

How do you ensure that your website’s structure is easy to navigate and matches your users’ mental model? Join us for this webinar to learn how to conduct remote card sorting and tree testing, two usability techiques that will help you improve the information architecture of your website.