Discussion Archive: October 2012

18 Oct 2012 - 1:57pm
2 years ago
2 replies
jeff

Designing documentation

I'm working on creating documentation for a programming language and development environement. We're considering creating a wide variety of material including tutorials, reference material, inline documentation, videos, searchacle examples, et cetera.

There are two things I would love to hear from anybody:

1) Books/articles/anything you know of discussing design of documentation

2) Examples of awesome documentation that you know of. Even though I'm working on programming tools, I would love examples from any domain to get inspiration.

Thanks!

18 Oct 2012 - 11:54am
1 year ago
4 replies
tamlyn

Clickable paragraphs: thoughts/research?

Take a look at this page http://traffickingculture.org/news/

If you hover over the news stories, you'll see that the whole extract of each story (title, image and description) is clickable and links through to the full story. This is nice as it give a large click target, but it also leads to unexpected behavior in that the paragraph text is a link even though it doesn't look like one.

Markup like this is relatively new since, before HTML5, block level elements like paragraphs were not allowed inside link tags.

18 Oct 2012 - 4:56am
+1
2 years ago
3 replies
Matt Davies

Usability testing firm in NYC?

Hi, can anyone recommend a usability testing firm based in NYC? Have a project that needs someone to handle recruitment, scripting of test sessions, conducting one to one test sessions with users and reporting back findings.

Thanks

Matt

16 Oct 2012 - 9:47am
deena.rosen

Best practices for UX research as part of international expansions?

Hi,

Does anyone have experience working with a great localization firm that incorporates UX research as part of their offering?

Or can anyone point me to books/writings on best UX practices for cross cultural design and testing? 

Thanks very much,

Deena Rosen

Rodrigo Sanchez

NYCUXPA Presents: Democracy Is A Design Problem: How Changes In Design Change The Outcome Of Elections with Dana Chisnell, Tues 10/23/12

WHEN:
23 Oct 2012
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM

RAPP 437 Madison Ave 3rd floor, btw 49th & 50th, New York, NY 10022

AGENDA:
6:00 Light Refreshments & Networking
6:45 Announcements
7:00 Presentation and Q & A
8:00 Post-Event Networking

Rodrigo Sanchez

NYCUXPA Presents: Speed Dating For Your Résumé: Workshop - Hosted by Pace University, Sat 10/20/12

WHEN:
20 Oct 2012
12:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Pace University, Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts (entrance on Spruce St), 1 Pace Plaza New York, NY 10038

AGENDA:
12:00-12:45PM Registration & Networking
12:45-1:00PM Announcements
1:00-3:00PM Event

13 Oct 2012 - 10:12am
warunacds

what are Interaction Design, design process

Hi,

I'm interaction design student. Lately, I came across lot of articles mentioned about interaction design process. But they haven't given any examples. 

So, I'm wondering is interaction design design process is unique to every designer or is there some standart models we can look into. Could you point me places this explains well. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Waruna.

12 Oct 2012 - 4:13pm
2 years ago
1 reply
Amanda Nance

animation patterns for things moving

I'm looking for good examples of an item moving from one place to another and how to make that clear to the user. The specific example is a selected line within a grid; the user will click an "accept" button on that line, and then the item will leave the grid of items to be reviewed and appear in a grid of approved items. Has anyone seen a nice animation that could help make it clear what is happening? 

11 Oct 2012 - 2:55am
UXconference

UXconference - October 27th, Lugano (CH)

Dear All,

It is less than twenty days to UXconference fourth edition, the conference entirely focused on the experience of use, business and digital design. The conference topic for this year will be "Digital Experiences in Smart Cities".