Discussion Archive: November 2012

30 Nov 2012 - 6:29pm
2 years ago
4 replies
Charles Erdman

mobile .com VS mobile application

Brick and mortar companies have websites. Some have adapted those websites for mobile (m.com). Some are compelled to have both a m.com and a mobile application (m.app).

It raises the question of how unique the experience should be in each of those channels. Are there agreed "norms?" Should there be overlap in features/content in each experience?

Let's make this concrete. Take a restaurant chain. They sell food. They sell atmosphere where you eat that food. Simplistically, a restaurant's digital-self can offer:

29 Nov 2012 - 8:07pm
IxDconf

Explore the Interaction13 Program

The Interaction13 program is live on the site and now includes the daily schedule. Start planning your conference experience and get excited as we prepare to come together to learn from, be inspired by and connect with interaction designers from all over the world!

bryan.daniel

What retailer has the best online customer experience for gift cards?

In your opinion, what retailer has the best online customer experience for buying, redeeming and using gift cards? Researching this topic and need as much input as possible.
28 Nov 2012 - 3:17pm
IxDconf

Interaction13 Update: Extended Deadlines

Early Bird Workshop Registration and the Student Design Challenge Deadline has been Extended!

28 Nov 2012 - 1:02pm
IxDconf

Interaction13 Keynote 5: Ravi Sawhney

We are delighted to add Ravi Sawhney (@rksdesign) to our lineup of keynote speakers for Interaction13 in Toronto, Canada. Ravi Sawhney, entrepreneur, author, lecturer and designer, leads RKS Design in Southern California, a firm he started in 1980 after leaving Xerox – where he was the design lead on the first generation of touch screen interface. Today, his team works across the globe for major players and start-ups, in all aspects of design: from environments to technology and interaction.

27 Nov 2012 - 3:38am
2 years ago
1 reply
Jeremy DEagle

Introducing usability into a large Government organisation

I'm hoping you can help me. I've been allocated the role within my organisation to look at how we can improve the usability of our systems. I'm not from a UX background at all so this is proving quire difficult. One positive to have come out of it is that I've realised this is the kind of area I'd like to work in. I'm a fairly junior grade within my organisation so I do have only limited influence.

26 Nov 2012 - 2:15pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
datwood

SVA v. Bentley

Hi all,

Does anyone have any thoughts on SVA's Interaction Design program v. Bentley's Human Factors in Information Design program?

For background: I've got a few years' experience as a project / product manager, and want to get more into hands-on UX work, and be able to design products and digital services from the ground up (I'm not a developer, though I did study computer science way back in college).

Thanks!

24 Nov 2012 - 4:41pm
2 years ago
2 replies
neema

Looking for an Entry-level position in Europe

Hey everyone, 

This post is mostly for those of you already in Europe. I'm graduating with a BS in Human-Computer Interaction and a BA in Int'l Relations soon, and I'm really interested in just working in Europe for a little bit as a UX/Ix Designer. I have 1-2 years of design experience. 

So those of you US citizens working in Europe right now, how did you end up there? How was the visa process?

I'm looking for resources on first finding a UX-related job abroad, and then information on how to do the entire legal process. 

20 Nov 2012 - 12:01pm
rongoldin

Interaction13 Toronto: mobile startups?

Hey all, 

I'm looking for individuals that are planning to go to Interaction13 Toronto that are passionate about and have experience working in or with mobile startups. Feel free to drop me a line privately at ron@studioakko.com.

Thanks!

20 Nov 2012 - 5:59am
Jeremy DEagle

User Interface Guidelines for a desktop application delivered via Citrix

Hi, I'm after some advice regarding some guidelines to consider when deploying applications over Citrix.

My company is going to be using Citrix in the near future. We have suppliers who deliver our desktops, applications etc, within boundaries set by my company's IT strand. We have a principle of procuring commercial, of the shelf packages wherever possible.