Discussion Archive: March 2013

31 Mar 2013 - 7:43pm
1 year ago
5 replies
sllychn

Creating High Fidelity Prototypes for Desktop Applications

Hi,

I'm a design student looking for recommendations for an application/software (or any other method) that would allow me to create a high fidelity desktop application prototype for the purposes of demonstration and testing. Unfortunately I can't code :(

Right now I'm using Axure but it's got it's limitations since it's best suited for web and mobile.

29 Mar 2013 - 5:20am
+1
1 year ago
2 replies
Mark Vanderbeeken

Debate in Milan: The Long View of Interaction Design

The people behind the upcoming Interaction14 conference invite you to attend a panel discussion in Milan on the "Long View of Interaction Design".

28 Mar 2013 - 11:18am
1 year ago
2 replies
Kimberly Richards

Best Practices and struggles for taking a website and moving it to an iPad

I am about to start evaluating a lot of websites that have moved from the web to an ipad. I am curious about these two questions:

1. What are best practices for taking a desktop experience and moving it to an iPad?
  2. What are some struggles or pain points for customers when using an iPad?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your feedback!!!

26 Mar 2013 - 12:28pm
+1
Terms:
VarunDotCuDotCc

User reaction on different type of advertisments

I am planning of creating a free software in upcoming months. I also wants to monetize my advertise my software by different forms of advertisements. These are:

A) PPC advertisement on web site: This will be much like Google Adsense for websites

B) PPC advertisement on software downloader : This will be much like Cnet spotinstall and one will display one or two ads during the software download.

C) Advertising through software module: This will be much like OpenCandy.

26 Mar 2013 - 9:39am
1 year ago
3 replies
davidbemeyers

Best Way for Prototyping Designs in User Testing and for Pitches

Just curious to know what everybody uses to prototype their designs when user testing, and when presenting clients, or giving pitches to potential investors. I've seen a multitude of different resources used for user testing; anything from interactive pdfs, paper renderings, coded mock-ups and fully built software.

What sort of tools do you use for prototyping, and do those tools change with the device you're testing for?

sgururaj

Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing - Media & Entertainment Track

Dear IXDA,

Opportunities to submit into the Media & Entertainment Track, are available for the 2013 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, to be held on October 2-5 in Minneapolis. 

23 Mar 2013 - 11:09pm
+1
1 year ago
5 replies
daydalis

Activities / Games to teach User-Centered Design?

I am building a workshop to teach User-Centered Design. The target audience is people who want to integrate UCD into their software development process.

What I am looking for is activities and games to teach different aspects of UCD so that they can really "feel" the difference UCD makes, the before and after.

My workshop focuses on three areas:

- User Research (Contextual Inquiry, Interviews, Analyzing the data, establishing goals, creating personas, etc...)

23 Mar 2013 - 12:04pm
1 year ago
2 replies
Adamk

What are your Interaction Designer tasks?

Hi everyone!

I just started working in a UX team as a Interaction Designer together with one more Interaction Designer and a Content Strategist. My company didnt have a UX team until recently so we are all a bit confused on what our tasks are, should be doing.  We are now working on a elevator pitch and a job description which is trickier that we thought. (I found this thread which was useful http://www.ixda.org/node/18648 ) 

Shruti M

Help me choose a HCI program

Hi,

I have received admission offers from IUPUI and RIT for Masters in HCI. I have applied to Iowa State university as well.

I wanted to know which of them offers a better course. I 'm targeting an industry oriented course which will help me work in UI/UX design and evaluation field.

Please help me choose.

RIT: http://www.rit.edu/programs/human-computer-interaction

IUPUI: http://informatics.iupui.edu/hci/masters/

22 Mar 2013 - 9:22pm
1 year ago
8 replies
Drew Cogswell

Use of red in hyperlinks and buttons

I'm currently debating the use of red for hyperlinks and button color standards for a site design over traditional colors such as blue.  Does anyone have any articles or research on the use of color in web typography, titles, hyperlinks, buttons, etc. they can refer me to?  Thanks for any help.