Discussion Archive: April 2013

30 Apr 2013 - 9:34am
1 year ago
5 replies
monkeyshine

Online User Testing

I'm wondering if and what you guys use for quick (and relatively cheap) online user testing. I know there is usertesting.com and feedbackarmy.com. Does anyone have any experience with these or can you recommend any others?

Thanks,

Deanna

30 Apr 2013 - 12:19am
1 year ago
6 replies
jcharles00

Am I in the wrong program? (IXD)

I just finished my first year of an Interaction Design graduate program. I'm currently hunting for summer internships, but as of now, I really have no idea of what IXD is like in industry, as far as what I'd actually be doing. My program is based out of an Industrial Design curriculum, but I'm hearing that as an IXD professional, I'm not going to be allowed to do any Industrial Design (physical products) type work. (FWIW, my undergrads are in computer technology and communication)

I definitely do NOT want to do web work. Am I in the wrong program? 

29 Apr 2013 - 12:15pm
Eva Kaniasty

Usability Testing Class in Cambridge, MA - May 9 and 16

I will be teaching an in-person class on Usability Testing at General Assembly in Cambridge (Kendall Square) next month. This is a foundations class for those who wish to master the process of planning, conducting, and analyzing usability testing data. 

29 Apr 2013 - 4:25am
Kesshav

Interaction Design at Cooper U

Hello!

Is anyone here to help me know if Cooper U's Interaction Design Course really holds good value in the UX market? What's your recommendation and opinion about the faculty and is it worth the cost $2,150?

Regards,

K

25 Apr 2013 - 8:01pm
1 year ago
1 reply
Matt Nish-Lapidus

IxDA server maintenance

Hi Everybody,

As I'm sure you've all noticed we have been having some server problems over the last while. This is largely due to traffic (a good thing). Our limited volunteer time has delayed the move to a larger server too long, so we hope to get things back on track at this point.

The IxDA site is moving to a new, and hopefully, much more stable server tonight. There should be no down time, but sometimes these things don't go quite as smoothly as planned. 

I hope to be posting another update from the new and improved server in the morning.

Matt, IxDA

25 Apr 2013 - 12:16pm
+1
1 year ago
1 reply
Séamus T. Byrne

Announcing the IxDA Events Office

Hi Folks,

It gives me great pleasure to announce the launch of the IxDA's latest initiative – The Events Office! [Fanfare please!]

24 Apr 2013 - 7:59am
+2
Dave Malouf

What is the "next moment"?

For those of us who were there at the beginning, nothing will ever feel like, well, the beginning. For Example '08 was amazing, for no other reason except it was a moment. Yes, the conference was amazing, but when I really think back on it despite all my desire to have that level of catering and homey feel again, the real thing I think those of us who compare everything to Savannah 08 is "the moment" and the only way to describe it is "the beginning". 

23 Apr 2013 - 2:56pm
+1
1 year ago
4 replies
Terms:
tdellaringa

Form filling on touch devices

I'm working on a project where a user will sign up for an account on a touch device. (This is a one time only flow). This process involves 5 fields. From what I've read/experienced over the last couple years, it's often good to limit screens to one field, so the user can focus on that, fill it out, and continue on (via a next button or whatever). 

One reason for this is that error recovery can be very tricky on these devices, and people can get confused on how to navigate fields. 

23 Apr 2013 - 12:25pm
Oksana

New Webinar: Mobile UX Research Methods and Tools

When it comes to conducting UX research and testing on websites, there are a lot of of methods and tools to choose from. However, when testing mobile websites and apps, there are fewer options.