Discussion Archive: March 2014

31 Mar 2014 - 9:51am
13 weeks ago
7 replies
Terms:
tdellaringa

Thoughts on checkbox controls in iOS7 Apps

As there is no checkbox control in iOS, it always become a bit of an issue on how to mimic that functionality in an app or in a mobile site. The Apple HIG is strangely silent on the issue, other than offering up a segmented control that will only accept a single choice. That's fine for a radio group, but doesn't work for something where you want someone to check a box before continuing, like accepting terms and conditions. 

27 Mar 2014 - 8:20am
martinpolley

A prototype of a form is better than a picture of a form—the sequel

The second installment in my series on prototyping forms in HTML has just been published on Boxes & Arrows.

--------------------------------

Hi folks,

26 Mar 2014 - 5:39am
alie rose

CIID Summer School - 2015

This year, the CIID Summer School will be bigger and more comprehensive than ever. We will provide the opportunity to explore interaction design through a choice of one or two week workshops. The workshops will run throughout the whole of July.

19 Mar 2014 - 2:01pm
Jeff Gothelf

[PLUG] - Lean UX Workshop in Charlotte, NC - April 24, 2014

Hey everyone - 

Just a quick note to let you know that I'm brining a public Lean UX workshop to Charlotte, NC next month on April 24.

I hope to see you some of you there and please help spread the word:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lean-ux-charlotte-workshop-tickets-5034396014

Thanks!

[Jeff]

@jboogie

18 Mar 2014 - 7:17am
22 weeks ago
0 replies
jkolko

Deadline Approaching: Study Interaction Design and Social Entrepreneurship in Austin, TX

If you are interested in studying Interaction Design, consider Austin Center for Design in Austin, Texas. Our unique one-year program is perfect for professionals looking to gain competency and skills, recast their career, or grow into more strategic roles. Here are some details of our program:

13 Mar 2014 - 8:31am
23 weeks ago
6 replies
Brett Christenson

How do you hire a UX researcher?

Anyone have advice on hiring a user researcher? We have UX designers but having someone focused on research would really round out our team. Having a design background it is easier for me to interview graphic/interaction designers but interviewing researchers has felt awkward. 

I am wondering:

1. How important is the PHD?

2. Are there strong differences in personality types Research vs. Design?

12 Mar 2014 - 4:28pm
Adi Tedjasaputra

1st Regional UX Indonesia-Malaysia 2014 Seminar and Networking, Jakarta, 26 April 2014

Dear IxDA member,

If you are interested to learn the latest update of UX industry development in the Southeast Asia region, especially Indonesia and Malaysia, and also keen to get in touch with the major UX players in the region, this is a must-go event.

http://uxindo.com/?p=111 [1]

milan

INTERSECTION Conference, April 16-17 in Paris

Dear IxDA members,

Next month, Interaction Designers and User Experience practitioners will get together with peers from related disciplines for two days of exchange and inspiration.

http://intersectionconf.com

11 Mar 2014 - 5:08am
24 weeks ago
8 replies
frank dahle

Forms design - I'm researching and need help

Where are we on forms design today?

How far have we come on designing effective, intuitive, intelligent web forms? I'm researching forms design, both best practice and the more innovative ones. But I'm having a hard time finding really good examples.

HiOscar the insurance company is one example with some innovative qualities and certainly worth a study. But I'm searching for more advanced forms with higher complexity.