Discussion Archive

26 Aug 2010 - 4:04pm
5 years ago
6 replies
Ashley Williams

RE: [IxDA] Is there a formal UCD process?

Hi Alice,

Last year I published a paper titled "User-Centered Design, Activity-Centered Design, and Goal-Directed Design: A Review of Three Methods for Designing Web Applications."

The paper gives an overview of each method's foundations, processes, and key deliverables.

I'd be glad to send you a copy.

11 Jan 2006 - 12:04pm
9 years ago
2 replies
Dave Malouf

Our title as a profession is not out title as a job, eh?

The above link takes you to indeed.com which has a nifty graphing tool for
comparing queries against job posting sites.

IxD titles are the least used out of the ones I selected.

27 Feb 2008 - 12:08pm
Joe Lanman

Heft and depth of content (was Portfolios)

> Do you find a danger, without a walk-thru, that the person you want to see
> the portfolio doesn't get to the full depth of what you have to show?
> I see this as almost an inherent problem with interactive navigation and
> the
> limitation of the screen boundaries to be able to convey what sort of
> material is behind any given screen

Firstly, I think this is an excellent point.

17 Jan 2012 - 6:15am
3 years ago
9 replies

How are sites adapting to cater for iPad (or other tablets)?

Quite aside from developing apps - or webapps, iPads are accounting for a significant and growing proportion of traffic to websites through the browser. To optimise a site for both what you might call PC web and for tablets, there's more to it than just offering alternatives to Flash.

For example, 'clickable' areas should be defined as larger than normal to account for 'fat fingers'; text size should be reviewed; sites should define input fields as e.g. 'search' or 'email address' so that the appropriate keyboard displays on the device.

26 Nov 2008 - 5:36am
Chris Wright

Interesting article about finding new music

Thought provoking piece.. my first article so be kind, and please excuse the
self promotion.

10 Jan 2011 - 12:03pm
4 years ago
1 reply

Qs about the business of being a consultant

With the new year, I'm thinking a need to get some better systems in place with regards to running my own interaction design business. Some questions for those who are consultants/freelance/solo practitioners:

- assuming you are on a long-term job, what percentage of your available working hours are billable? What is a good target? (I work from home and I always seem to spend some of my working hours doing laundry, etc.)

- what software do you use to track your hours?

- what software do you use to bill your clients and keep track of paid and unpaid bills?

13 Apr 2010 - 5:26am

Lecturers needed in Asia (Fashion Design/Marketing, Product Designing, Visual Communication, etc)

Would you like to broaden your professional network while experiencing different cultures across ASIA?

16 Jun 2010 - 12:48pm
5 years ago
4 replies

Seeking participants: share your thoughts about web interface design

I’m posting to ask for your help in a study regarding design guidelines and web interface design.

28 Jul 2010 - 12:23am
5 years ago
1 reply

RE: [IxDA] Annotations template (or UI components) for PowerPoint

Thanks Paul. Great help since I am an avid powerpoint wireframer.

-----Original Message-----
From: ixdaor@host.ixda.org [mailto:ixdaor@host.ixda.org] On Behalf Of Paul Hibbitts
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:21 PM
To: neham@techved.com
Subject: Re: [IxDA] Annotations template (or UI components) for PowerPoint

24 May 2010 - 6:57am
5 years ago
3 replies

Architecture tools for complex modelling

we are basing our IA and Interaction Design projects very much on abstract modelling. Depending on the individual project, this includes object and task models, user groups, activity diagrams (swim lane etc.), data and metadata models, use cases, site maps of course, etc. - all this with the goal to capture, analyse and model the structures underlying a design or architecture. The goal is to have a reason behind every element in a wireframe or prototype.

Until now, we are working mainly with tools like Visio and OmniGraffle, occasionally others.