Job Posting: Interaction Designer, Berkeley CA, University of California, Berkeley
21 Jul 2006 - 3:16pm
Job Posting at University of California, Berkeley
Posting Title: User Interface Designer
Department: ETS Educational Technology Services
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
UC Berkeley’s Educational Technology Services (ETS) is looking for an
energetic and teamwork-focused user-interaction designer to work on
our dynamic Learning Systems team to help develop our next generation
of learning and collaboration systems for the UC Berkeley community.
Working under the general direction of the Associate Director –
Learning Systems, the incumbent acts as a lead in the user-centered
design (UCD) process for development of key ETS products. They
collaborate with users, instructional designers, and educational
technologists to translate functional requirements into wire frames
and prototypes that programmers use to build applications.
The UI Designer develops the application’s navigational schema as
work flow diagrams and paper prototypes for early user testing. The
incumbent designs and evaluates visual interfaces utilizing UCD
principles. This includes coordinating and conducting all necessary
UCD activities throughout the product’s lifecycle.
The incumbent will be UC Berkeley’s representative to the Sakai
Consortium (www.sakaiproject.org) for user-interaction design, and
will participate in a multi-institutional team of software developers
to plan requirements for the functionality and usability of Sakai
tools. Sakai is an international consortium of higher education
institutions developing an open source collaboration and learning
The incumbent will also provide occasional consultations or conduct
training workshops with instructors and departments regarding their
use of the web-based learning tools and conduct focus groups to
inform the development of e-learning products.
Requirements & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s degree in related field (Design or Information Science) is
• Five years of work experience in software development.
• Three + years of experience in developing and managing client
• 4 years experience in web design and production.
• Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of XHTML and CSS.
• Knowledge of XML and related implementations including XML Schema
• Demonstrated expertise using the following applications types:
o graphics applications such as Adobe Creative Suite
o web design applications such as Adobe Go live, Dreamweaver and BBEdit
o Diagramming and flowcharting applications such as Omnigraffle or Visio
• Two + years with JSP, XSLT, or JSF coding
• Flash or AJAX experience a plus
• Demonstrated understanding of W3C and Section 508 web standards
• Strong understanding of user-centered design methodology and
• Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and
facilitation skills required.
• Communicate abstract design ideas clearly using storyboards, wire
frames and flowcharts.
A portfolio review will be included in the interview process.