Job: UEX Design & Innovation at SAP Labs, Palo Alto, California - to be filled immediately
24 Jul 2006 - 2:18pm
The Business Process Renovation team (BPR) at SAP Labs ( Palo Alto ) is looking for a full-time User Experience Designer. We need a candidate who relishes solving tough design challenges, who is passionate about creating innovative product experiences, and who helps evangelize new design methods, solutions, and insights across the company, including to c-level executives. SAP is the 3rd largest software maker in the world, but our team offers the closest you can get to a 'start-up' experience within a large software corporation - the best of both worlds. Our team offers the place to stretch skills in new directions and an opportunity to leverage design to fundamentally change people's lives around the world.
BPR is a global innovation group at SAP Labs with inter-disciplinary teams in Palo Alto , Shanghai , and Walldorf ( Germany ). We focus on creating user delight through designing and implementing solutions that meet and exceed real user needs and wants through the use of cutting edge UEX processes, concepts, and technologies. We bring products to market, and then generalize our findings to impact other SAP solutions & processes within the company. Our insights also feed into e.g. Stanford's dSchool and the Potsdam Hasso-Plattner-Institute to help shape the designers and software engineers of the future. BPR reports directly into Henning Kagermann (CEO of SAP), and our projects are sponsored by SAP’s Executive Board and SAP co-founder Hasso Plattner.
SAP is the world's largest inter-enterprise software company and the world's third-largest independent software supplier overall. SAP employs more than 32,000 people in more than 50 countries and is the recognized leader in providing collaborative business solutions for all types of industries and for every major market. SAP offers a very attractive job package including competitive salaries & benefits based on experience.
Past and present BPR projects include for instance GIS (Geographical Information Systems) business solutions, Wide-Screen display design, Analytical applications in Finance, Sales, and Manufacturing, Exception-based user experience and business process renovation, Web 2.0 for Enterprise applications, and more.
We employ contextual user research, agile methods, the latest technologies, close teamwork, a great deal of passion, collaboration, and a good sense of humor to our design & development processes, and are looking for someone who'd fit right in, and who can dive head-first into complex domains with their team, and emerge at the other end with engaging and elegant solutions, and with a passion to share their insights and drive their impact into SAP to a wider audience of stakeholders.
* Conduct end-user research to explore, uncover, and analyze real user requirements
* Synthesize the results of end-user research into effective visual communication pieces
* Engage collaboratively and flexibly with team members in prototype scenario development and flow charting of the user experience
* Play an active role in all aspects of the design process including identification of user needs, requirements definition, storyboarding and prototyping, and iterative end user validation
* Evangelize best practices to the executive level and SAP overall
Ideal Candidate Profile
* Proven track record of out-of-the-box, innovative thinking and design
* Well developed skills in flow charting user experience, data visualization, typography/layout (wire framing), sketching (story boarding, scenarios, rough layouts, mock-ups), and user interaction design are critical
* Proven track record of success with interactive media prototyping tools (e.g. Flash, Director, Lingo, PhotoShop, Indesign) and design and production skills for web-based projects and printed communication pieces are required
* Passion for end-user focused software applications design and development with an appreciation and empathy for the entire software design process
* Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively engage and convey ideas to cross-functional technical and non-technical teams
* Perspectives on current visual design trends, their impact on software design and end user interaction, and their implications for the design and development of enterprise software
* Degree in one of the following required: Interaction Design, Interface Design, Product Design, Visual Design, Graphics Design, Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Design, or related programs.
* 3-5 years min. relevant professional work experience is a must.
* Relevant postgraduate education is a plus.