Good Flash/Actionscript reference

24 Aug 2006 - 2:07pm
8 years ago
5 replies
616 reads
Georgia Bullen
2006

Hi,

We've been working on learning Flash and Actionscript so as to prototype in
it for our interface, but we run into a few problems, and we can't seem to
find good solutions or really good references to help us through the
problems we've run into.

Mostly our issues relate to know how to correctly code the actionscript
within the Flash file. Do any of you know of any really excellent references
for that?

Thanks!

-Georgia Bullen

Comments

24 Aug 2006 - 2:28pm
Walker Hamilton
2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Georgia Bullen wrote:
> Mostly our issues relate to know how to correctly code the
> actionscript
> within the Flash file. Do any of you know of any really excellent
> references
> for that?

I wish this had hit the list a few days ago, I had just run into a
perfectly good list of prototyping options.

There's a system called Flow, built specifically for prototyping in
flash.

If you're looking for Actionscripting help, there's always hiring
programmers or freelancers *ahem*. But then there's the excellent
books by Colin Moock. Colin's been doing actionscript programming for
years and really knows how to teach it.

Walker Hamilton
312.493.8467
http://www.walkerhamilton.com

25 Aug 2006 - 1:01am
Sean Voisen
2006

>
> If you're looking for Actionscripting help, there's always hiring
>
programmers or freelancers *ahem*. But then there's the excellent
> books by Colin Moock. Colin's been doing actionscript programming for
> years and really knows how to teach it.
>

I've been a professional Flash developer for a long time, and I can second
the recommendation for Moock's books.

Depending on what you're prototyping, you may also want to look into Adobe
Flex 2.0 and FlexBuilder, which is basically a rapid way to develop Flash
applications using a WYSIWYG editor and a plethora of pre-built UI
components. You still need to know Actionscript to make it functional, but
unless it's a really customized UI, thanks to all the pre-built components
and automatic layout grids, FlexBuilder could be quicker to use than the
Flash IDE.

- Sean

25 Aug 2006 - 8:42am
Graham White
2005

Hello,

I agree that Colin Moock's guides are the best I have used, also check out
Lee Brimelow's site for a series
of video tutorials on various aspects of coding with actionscript.
http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

Graham White

----- Original Message -----
From: "Georgia Bullen" <georgia.bullen at gdc4s.com>
To: <discuss at ixda.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:07 PM
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] Good Flash/Actionscript reference

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
material.]
>
> Hi,
>
> We've been working on learning Flash and Actionscript so as to prototype
in
> it for our interface, but we run into a few problems, and we can't seem to
> find good solutions or really good references to help us through the
> problems we've run into.
>
> Mostly our issues relate to know how to correctly code the actionscript
> within the Flash file. Do any of you know of any really excellent
references
> for that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Georgia Bullen
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

25 Aug 2006 - 9:58am
Walker Hamilton
2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:51 AM, tristan blanc-brude wrote:

> The system called Flow sounds good, anyone knows where it can be
> found ?

Guys,

Sorry to have brought up flow. I saw a demo of it and now I have
found that it's not being released yet. (With no planned date of
release).

Here's a list of GUI prototyping tools (It took me forever to re-
find this link): http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GuiPrototypingTools

Walker Hamilton

312.493.8467
http://www.walkerhamilton.com

25 Aug 2006 - 11:31am
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

I'm interested in checking out Flow, but I can't find any info on it. Do you
have a link?

Thanks ...

-r-

On 8/24/06, Walker Hamilton <walker at signalfade.com> wrote:
>
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
>
> On Aug 24, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Georgia Bullen wrote:
> > Mostly our issues relate to know how to correctly code the
> > actionscript
> > within the Flash file. Do any of you know of any really excellent
> > references
> > for that?
>
> I wish this had hit the list a few days ago, I had just run into a
> perfectly good list of prototyping options.
>
> There's a system called Flow, built specifically for prototyping in
> flash.
>
> If you're looking for Actionscripting help, there's always hiring
> programmers or freelancers *ahem*. But then there's the excellent
> books by Colin Moock. Colin's been doing actionscript programming for
> years and really knows how to teach it.
>
> Walker Hamilton
> 312.493.8467
> http://www.walkerhamilton.com
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

Syndicate content Get the feed