Admin query - broken URLs?

29 Jan 2007 - 8:48am
7 years ago
9 replies
454 reads
DrWex
2006

Recently I've been noticing that IxDA messages are being forcibly
line-wrapped, which is producing broken URLs in messages. E.G. this
appeared in a post from Jared:

> (Borrowed from this great article: http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/05/12/
> new-levels-of-experience-design/ )

I'm fairly certain he didn't type it that way. I'm also fairly
certain Gmail isn't force-wrapping things, as I get quite long URLs
intact in other mail messages. Therefore I'd like to ask if the list
software is doing this and if so, whether it's possible to turn off
this feature?

I do recognize the readability improvement of shorter line lengths.
But I would prefer to let the local MUA handle that and (I hope)
maintain intact URLs

--
--Alan Wexelblat

Comments

29 Jan 2007 - 9:16am
Jared M. Spool
2003

Welcome to the world of SMTP/POP servers. Each one decides to do
something different, and thus the invention of TinyURLs (http://
www.tinyurl.com -- what I probably should've used for this link).

It's possible the list server did this. It's also possible it was any
number of servers that touched the message on its way from me to you.

Of course, HTML email makes this problem go away, right? :D

Jared

On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Alan Wexelblat wrote:

> Recently I've been noticing that IxDA messages are being forcibly
> line-wrapped, which is producing broken URLs in messages. E.G. this
> appeared in a post from Jared:
>
>> (Borrowed from this great article: http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/05/12/
>> new-levels-of-experience-design/ )
>
> I'm fairly certain he didn't type it that way. I'm also fairly
> certain Gmail isn't force-wrapping things, as I get quite long URLs
> intact in other mail messages. Therefore I'd like to ask if the list
> software is doing this and if so, whether it's possible to turn off
> this feature?
>
> I do recognize the readability improvement of shorter line lengths.
> But I would prefer to let the local MUA handle that and (I hope)
> maintain intact URLs
>
> --
> --Alan Wexelblat
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

29 Jan 2007 - 9:25am
.pauric
2006

If my memory serves, you can wrap links in angle brackets. This forces some
part of the ether to linkify the url even if it decides to wrap.

I personally like this ff extension that will tinyurl a link with a right
click option and puts it in the clipboard.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/126/

29 Jan 2007 - 10:03am
Dan Saffer
2003

On Jan 29, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Jared M. Spool wrote:

> TinyURLs (http://
> www.tinyurl.com -- what I probably should've used for this link).
>

...except that people have complained about tinyurls in the past,
saying they didn't know where they linked to.

Dan

29 Jan 2007 - 10:02am
DrWex
2006

Forgive me, I found this incredibly ironic. Here is how Jared's mail appeared:

On 1/29/07, Jared M. Spool <jspool at uie.com> wrote:
> Welcome to the world of SMTP/POP servers. Each one decides to do
> something different, and thus the invention of TinyURLs (http://
> www.tinyurl.com -- what I probably should've used for this link).

So even tinyurls are not immune.

That said, I've not had this problem with gmail getting mail from
other sources, which tends to make me want to poke at this list's
software.

29 Jan 2007 - 10:37am
maglez@btintern...
2006

Better not to use tinyURLs in forums, after a month, I believe, they are deleted and won't be of
any help for those that search throughout the forum later on.

This is a forum for advanced users, mostly, only a few doesn't know yet that you have to copy and
paste the link in a text editor and remove extra returns, yes it's a pain but it's even worse to
do a research and find links that takes you nowhere.

Information on forums should persist.

I use tinyURLs quite a lot but only for things I don't need them to persist.

Miguel Gonzalez.

TinyURLs are good for
--- Dan Saffer <dan at odannyboy.com> wrote:

>
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Jared M. Spool wrote:
>
> > TinyURLs (http://
> > www.tinyurl.com -- what I probably should've used for this link).
> >
>
> ...except that people have complained about tinyurls in the past,
> saying they didn't know where they linked to.
>
> Dan
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

29 Jan 2007 - 11:11am
.pauric
2006

this is a test of the angle brackets through the ixda server
<
http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuff atthelongestdomainname atlonglast.com/wearejustdoingthistobestupid nowsincethiscangoonforeverandeverandever butitstilllookskindaneatinthebrowser eventhoughitsabigwasteoftimeandenergy andhasnorealpointbutwehadtodoitanyways.html
> [url fixed by admin]

On 1/29/07, Miguel Gonzalez <maglez at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> Better not to use tinyURLs in forums, after a month, I believe, they are
> deleted and won't be of
> any help for those that search throughout the forum later on.
>
> This is a forum for advanced users, mostly, only a few doesn't know yet
> that you have to copy and
> paste the link in a text editor and remove extra returns, yes it's a pain
> but it's even worse to
> do a research and find links that takes you nowhere.
>
> Information on forums should persist.
>
> I use tinyURLs quite a lot but only for things I don't need them to
> persist.
>
>
> Miguel Gonzalez.
>
>
> TinyURLs are good for
> --- Dan Saffer <dan at odannyboy.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > On Jan 29, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Jared M. Spool wrote:
> >
> > > TinyURLs (http://
> > > www.tinyurl.com -- what I probably should've used for this link).
> > >
> >
> > ...except that people have complained about tinyurls in the past,
> > saying they didn't know where they linked to.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> >
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Job type: In house
Field: Embedded & physical interfaces. Web/cli

29 Jan 2007 - 10:13am
Cinnamon Melchor
2006

So ... let's try the angle brackets instead of Jared's original
parentheses and see if it works:

Borrowed from this great article:
<http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/05/12/new-levels-of-experience-design/>

29 Jan 2007 - 1:17pm
DrWex
2006

On 1/29/07, Miguel Gonzalez <maglez at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Better not to use tinyURLs in forums, after a month, I believe, they are deleted

That is incorrect. tinyurl.com has "never expires" in bold+italic on
their front page. Given the generic linkrot of the Web I think any
URL in an archive should be suspect, but at least tiny keeps theirs
around even if the target goes away.

> This is a forum for advanced users, mostly, only a few doesn't know yet that you have to
> copy and paste the link in a text editor and remove extra returns

I don't think the question was whether or not people on this list are
capable of cut-and-paste. The question was "why do i get different
behavior on ixda-discuss than on other lists?"

Best regards,
--Alan

29 Jan 2007 - 5:18pm
cfmdesigns
2004

>From: pauric <radiorental at gmail.com>
>
>If my memory serves, you can wrap links in angle brackets. This forces some
>part of the ether to linkify the url even if it decides to wrap.

My understanding is that this is also the formal "correct" way to include URLs in e-mail. It forces compliant programs to understand the content as a link and avoids the old problem where trailing characters could get accidentally glommed onto the URL, ruining it.

- Jim

Syndicate content Get the feed