Dell Ideastorm

20 Feb 2007 - 9:57am
7 years ago
3 replies
670 reads
AlokJain
2006

Dell started their online brainstorming site a few days back -
www.dellideastorm.com taking a Web 2.0 approach towards research and
innovation.

Has attracted 700+ ideas though many are repeatitions and some are very
small to lead to any klind of breakthrough innovation.. but interesting to
see the participation.

I do a fair amount of research using delicious and flickr these days, anyoen
else found such methods useful? any other examples like Dell?

Cheers
Alok Jain
---------------------------------
http://www.iPrincipia.com
http://www.i-Kreate.org

Comments

20 Feb 2007 - 12:04pm
michel.milano
2005

Alok,

Dell is using a hosted tool CrispyNews to power their site,
and Crispy has other customers. The salesforce.com site in
particular is seems to be eliciting a good number of
usability and usefulness improvements from customers.

http://ideas.salesforce.com/

In the meantime, I'd be interested in hearing an overview
of your process for using flickr for research.

- Michel Milano

--- Alok Jain <alok.ajain1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do a fair amount of research using delicious and flickr
> these days, anyoen
> else found such methods useful? any other examples like
> Dell?

20 Feb 2007 - 8:16pm
Jeff Axup
2006

Interesting idea for collecting ideas. It's great in that usually feature
requests get sent to tech support, who then treat them as 'user error'
instead of redirecting them to a design team who can consider them as design
changes.

However, to be realistic, how is the interface design of the ideastorm page
going to affect voting? Most users logging in only see a list of the most
popular ideas. They then click the 'promote' button, which then makes it
more popular. So basically most ideas added will never see the light of day
because they aren't easily visible to users and thus don't get voted on. The
'recently added' section helps counteract that, but most ideas will only be
visible there for a few minutes if the site is busy.

Also they seem to be showing far too much detail for each idea instead of
summarizing many ideas so you can vote on larger numbers of ideas. Also
wondering how they deal with people adding new ideas that already exist, or
merging common ideas?

-Jeff

On 2/20/07, m.milano <michel_milano at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Alok,
>
> Dell is using a hosted tool CrispyNews to power their site,
> and Crispy has other customers. The salesforce.com site in
> particular is seems to be eliciting a good number of
> usability and usefulness improvements from customers.
>
> http://ideas.salesforce.com/
>
>
> In the meantime, I'd be interested in hearing an overview
> of your process for using flickr for research.
>
>
> - Michel Milano
>
>
>
>
> --- Alok Jain <alok.ajain1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do a fair amount of research using delicious and flickr
> > these days, anyoen
> > else found such methods useful? any other examples like
> > Dell?
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Best Regards,
Jeff
____________________________________________________________________________
Jeff Axup Ph.D. Candidate - University of Queensland, Brisbane,
Australia
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting

Research: Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail: axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog: http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog: http://memeaddict.blogspot.com
Academic: http://www.infenv.itee.uq.edu.au
____________________________________________________________________________

15 Mar 2007 - 3:10pm
Jessica Kramer
2007

My company is looking for new ways to solicit customer feedback on our
products. The Dell Idea Storm site is an interesting concept. However, I
looked into Crispy News, and although they list their prices, they certainly
don't give you anyway to purchase the tool. Just a form to fill out, "Tell
me when it's available".

Anyone know of other tools along this same line that would be worth looking
into?

Thanks!

On 2/20/07, Alok Jain <alok.ajain1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dell started their online brainstorming site a few days back -
> www.dellideastorm.com taking a Web 2.0 approach towards research and
> innovation.
>
> Has attracted 700+ ideas though many are repeatitions and some are very
> small to lead to any klind of breakthrough innovation.. but interesting to
> see the participation.
>
> I do a fair amount of research using delicious and flickr these days,
> anyoen
> else found such methods useful? any other examples like Dell?
>
> Cheers
> Alok Jain
> ---------------------------------
> http://www.iPrincipia.com
> http://www.i-Kreate.org
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

Syndicate content Get the feed