JOB: Manager, User Experience Design @ PayPal, an eBay Company - PHOENIX, AZ
19 Mar 2007 - 1:51pm
Manager, User Experience Design @ PayPal, an eBay Company - PHOENIX, AZ
About PayPal User Experience Design & User Research
Do you have a creative eye for design? Do you often ponder what makes
people do the things they do? If so, then we have a position for you!
The design and research group here at PayPal is comprised of a
multi-cultural, multi-talented team of individuals whose skills range
from conceptual design to contextual inquiries. We are a passionate
bunch of highly skilled user experience specialists - our focus is
driving the goals of the business, by defining and creatively addressing
the needs of our users. You could be one of us!
PayPal is looking for a design manager who will be responsible for
managing a team of designers, reporting to the Director of User
Experience Design & User Research. The ideal candidate should be a
visionary that can proactively champion the voice of the customer
through effective design of products. The design manager should be able
to manage projects as well as people. In this role, the individual may
need to travel to our San Jose headquarters, and it is essential for
this person to work collaboratively across geographies. Excellent
written and verbal communication skills are a must. Compensation is
commensurate with experience.
Roles & Responsibilities:
* Manage and mentor a team of talented interaction designers (including
user interface and visual) as well as content writers
* Responsible for all aspects of employee career development, employee
* Develop project task estimates, deliverable and milestone task
assignment - will be responsible for managing the capacity of the team
* Prioritize, manage and oversee all design initiatives for your
vertical by interfacing directly with your cross functional counterparts
from Product Management
* Identify and build core design competencies within the group
* Provide design guidance and final approval of all user interface
* Work closely with Usability Research Manager to better understand all
aspects of the customer and obtain additional research if necessary
* Champion the user centered design approach to building product
* Contribute significantly to strategic design initiatives
* Keep abreast of current design tools, techniques and methodologies
* At least 5 years of industry experience create UI models, user task
and interaction flows, screen designs, user-interface interaction
details for websites or web-based applications
* At least 2 years of industry experience managing design teams
* Advanced degree in Human Computer Interaction, Design, or other
* Must possess a solid working experience with appropriate design tools
including Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, etc.
* Should have experience with international and localization design
* Strong communication, analytical and interpersonal skills working
within cross-functional teams a must
* Portfolio required
"Nice to Have" Skills:
* Experience designing payment solutions for consumers and businesses
* Working knowledge of visual design, typography principles and brand
* Ability to create personas, profiles, and usage scenarios based
* Ability to rapidly prototype designs in hand-coded HTML
PayPal lets any business or consumer with an email address securely,
conveniently and cost-effectively send and receive payments online.
PayPal has quickly become a global leader in online payment solutions
with over 133 million accounts (including buyers and sellers on eBay,
online retailers, online businesses, as well as traditional offline
businesses) in over 100 markets worldwide.
The PayPal network builds on the existing financial infrastructure of
bank accounts and credit cards to create a global, real-time payment
solution. PayPal has a local presence in 13 markets outside the U.S.
including the UK, Canada, Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany,
Italy, Spain, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and China.