Examples of RIA interaction design patterns

25 Apr 2007 - 2:05pm
7 years ago
4 replies
3120 reads
Marci Ikeler
2003

Hi everyone,

My company focuses on RIA projects, and our design team is interested in
collecting lots of examples of interaction design patterns that leverage
the capabilities of a truly rich application. Of course, we've already
found a lot of great stuff on the web, but I wanted to reach out to this
list to see if you guys could contribute some of your favorites.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. However, I feel that the
term "RIA" can mean slightly different things to different people - and
even to the same people in different contexts - so let me define what I
mean specifically:

Rich - While I agree that lots of web 2.0 type stuff (in quotes only
because I'm not super fond of that term) qualifies as a rich experience,
I am specifically looking for examples that use technologies like Flex
or Lazlo. Of course, Ajax works too, but I'm looking for very robust
examples that are more like Kayak than Backpack (although I love
Backpack - it's just not the level of richness I'm thinking of in this
context).

Internet - Should be obvious :-). However, rich examples of client
application design would be appreciated as well.

Applications - A lot of the work at my company focuses on sophisticated
corporate clients who deal with large quantities of complicated data.
Therefore, applications that deal with a large variety of complex
interactions would be most helpful.

Thanks so much for your help!

Marci

marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769

Comments

25 Apr 2007 - 2:30pm
aschechterman
2004

Marci, Guessing you're already very familiar with Jennifer Tidwell's volume:
http://designinginterfaces.com/ - Andrew Schechterman, Ph.D.

On 4/25/07, Marci Ikeler <MIkeler at roundarch.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
>
>
> My company focuses on RIA projects, and our design team is interested in
> collecting lots of examples of interaction design patterns that leverage
> the capabilities of a truly rich application. Of course, we've already
> found a lot of great stuff on the web, but I wanted to reach out to this
> list to see if you guys could contribute some of your favorites.
>
>
>
> Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. However, I feel that the
> term "RIA" can mean slightly different things to different people - and
> even to the same people in different contexts - so let me define what I
> mean specifically:
>
>
>
> Rich - While I agree that lots of web 2.0 type stuff (in quotes only
> because I'm not super fond of that term) qualifies as a rich experience,
> I am specifically looking for examples that use technologies like Flex
> or Lazlo. Of course, Ajax works too, but I'm looking for very robust
> examples that are more like Kayak than Backpack (although I love
> Backpack - it's just not the level of richness I'm thinking of in this
> context).
>
>
>
> Internet - Should be obvious :-). However, rich examples of client
> application design would be appreciated as well.
>
>
>
> Applications - A lot of the work at my company focuses on sophisticated
> corporate clients who deal with large quantities of complicated data.
> Therefore, applications that deal with a large variety of complex
> interactions would be most helpful.
>
>
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
>
>
> Marci
>
>
>
> marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

25 Apr 2007 - 2:54pm
Jarod Tang
2007

Just finish the first reading of http://designinginterfaces.com/ , it's a
great resource.

--
IxD for better life style.

http://jarodtang.blogspot.com
--
IxD for better life style.

http://jarodtang.blogspot.com

26 Apr 2007 - 9:57am
Marci Ikeler
2003

Hilary, thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly compile a list and
send it to the group.

As to those who suggested Jennifer Tidwell's book, I agree, it's an
excellent resource. Her "animated transition", "dynamic queries", and
"local zooming" patterns are, in my opinion, great examples of design
techniques that are better facilitated by RIAs vs. traditional web apps.

Thanks to everyone who responded (I would love to hear more!),

Marci

marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769

-----Original Message-----
From: Hilary Spencer [mailto:h.spencer at natureny.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:50 PM
To: Marci Ikeler
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Examples of RIA interaction design patterns

Meebo.com

Also, can you compile your results and post to the list? I'd love to
hear
what others are saying.

Thanks!
Hilary

On 4/25/07 3:05 PM, "Marci Ikeler" <MIkeler at roundarch.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>
>
> My company focuses on RIA projects, and our design team is interested
in
> collecting lots of examples of interaction design patterns that
leverage
> the capabilities of a truly rich application. Of course, we've already
> found a lot of great stuff on the web, but I wanted to reach out to
this
> list to see if you guys could contribute some of your favorites.
>
>
>
> Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. However, I feel that
the
> term "RIA" can mean slightly different things to different people -
and
> even to the same people in different contexts - so let me define what
I
> mean specifically:
>
>
>
> Rich - While I agree that lots of web 2.0 type stuff (in quotes only
> because I'm not super fond of that term) qualifies as a rich
experience,
> I am specifically looking for examples that use technologies like Flex
> or Lazlo. Of course, Ajax works too, but I'm looking for very robust
> examples that are more like Kayak than Backpack (although I love
> Backpack - it's just not the level of richness I'm thinking of in this
> context).
>
>
>
> Internet - Should be obvious :-). However, rich examples of client
> application design would be appreciated as well.
>
>
>
> Applications - A lot of the work at my company focuses on
sophisticated
> corporate clients who deal with large quantities of complicated data.
> Therefore, applications that deal with a large variety of complex
> interactions would be most helpful.
>
>
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
>
>
> Marci
>
>
>
> marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

26 Apr 2007 - 10:42am
Dave Malouf
2005

Yahoo Design Pattern Library has some good nuggets for rich and not so rich:
http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/

Bill Scott who helped create the Y! Design Pattern Library has a great
presentation (better in person, but oh well) where he highlights major
RIA patterns, categorizes them according to really useful design
principles.
http://www.slideshare.net/billwscott/designing-for-ajax/1
I think the original Keynote (Mac only) version is available here:
http://billwscott.com/share/presentations/2007/e7/DesigningForAjax_e7_india.key.zip

I also taught a workshop with Bill Scott for UI11 and other similar
sources that besides the patterns & principles section there is more
about the how and why of RIA design.
Here are the slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/dmalouf/designing-powerful-web-applications-monterey/

On 4/26/07, Marci Ikeler <MIkeler at roundarch.com> wrote:
> Hilary, thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly compile a list and
> send it to the group.
>
> As to those who suggested Jennifer Tidwell's book, I agree, it's an
> excellent resource. Her "animated transition", "dynamic queries", and
> "local zooming" patterns are, in my opinion, great examples of design
> techniques that are better facilitated by RIAs vs. traditional web apps.
>
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded (I would love to hear more!),
>
> Marci
>
>
> marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hilary Spencer [mailto:h.spencer at natureny.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:50 PM
> To: Marci Ikeler
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Examples of RIA interaction design patterns
>
> Meebo.com
>
> Also, can you compile your results and post to the list? I'd love to
> hear
> what others are saying.
>
> Thanks!
> Hilary
>
> On 4/25/07 3:05 PM, "Marci Ikeler" <MIkeler at roundarch.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >
> >
> > My company focuses on RIA projects, and our design team is interested
> in
> > collecting lots of examples of interaction design patterns that
> leverage
> > the capabilities of a truly rich application. Of course, we've already
> > found a lot of great stuff on the web, but I wanted to reach out to
> this
> > list to see if you guys could contribute some of your favorites.
> >
> >
> >
> > Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. However, I feel that
> the
> > term "RIA" can mean slightly different things to different people -
> and
> > even to the same people in different contexts - so let me define what
> I
> > mean specifically:
> >
> >
> >
> > Rich - While I agree that lots of web 2.0 type stuff (in quotes only
> > because I'm not super fond of that term) qualifies as a rich
> experience,
> > I am specifically looking for examples that use technologies like Flex
> > or Lazlo. Of course, Ajax works too, but I'm looking for very robust
> > examples that are more like Kayak than Backpack (although I love
> > Backpack - it's just not the level of richness I'm thinking of in this
> > context).
> >
> >
> >
> > Internet - Should be obvious :-). However, rich examples of client
> > application design would be appreciated as well.
> >
> >
> >
> > Applications - A lot of the work at my company focuses on
> sophisticated
> > corporate clients who deal with large quantities of complicated data.
> > Therefore, applications that deal with a large variety of complex
> > interactions would be most helpful.
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks so much for your help!
> >
> >
> >
> > Marci
> >
> >
> >
> > marci ikeler + R O U N D A R C H + bus 212.909.2363 + mob 917.604.3769
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixda.org/
http://motorola.com/

Syndicate content Get the feed