The main shift I made was in response to Peter Boersma who shared his
presentation on how he came up with a UX process to fit into their software
development process (RUP/UCD mix). His key was to show how he came about his
and show you how to do it yourself. So I've tried to work the UX into the
Microsoft Solutions Framework process that we have to use. Like RUP, MSF
accounts for UX a little, but not enough. If you are interested (I highly
suggest checking out, great work) you can see his stuff at:
Jim Brennsteiner sent me his MAPUEx Framework poster, which was helpful.
Chauncey made some good suggestions, including extending prototyping into
the previous phase (now renamed), which I did, suggested I add competitive
analysis, suggested changing 'user research' to 'user and task analysis'
which I liked, since I was missing task analysis too, and suggested the
problem definition as well.
Fred Leise gave me the heads up I should really add in content creation
(easily and tragically overlooked!) as well as content migration.
Other changes I made were to have a symbol for optional vs. manditory
documents/activities (instead of the dot) and to line up activities and
deliverables horizontally where they flow together (not sure if I want to
make cross-disciplinary matches or not). Added a shape for pre-existing
documents at the beginning of a project - such as user research data that
exists for a site going into redesign.
The design inspiration came from Todd Warfel's design process diagram,
although I have added quite a bit.
Again, I would still love to hear any comments. I am still not sure about
many things - what level of detail to go to, should I hook up inputs and
deliverables (or leave it higher level), do I have all I need, etc.