iPhone and Gmail - Oy Gevalt!

18 Oct 2007 - 7:49am
7 years ago
12 replies
609 reads
SemanticWill
2007

[File Under Gripe]
Tell me first if this has already been discussed.

I am currently in love/lust/embittered/confused/confounded and generally
dismayed so far with Gmail's implementation on my iPhone. Here is just one
user scenario that is very common for me - and leads me to believe that the
gmail app implentation was rushed.

[Deleting Emails]
User Persona - Me.

I touch on the Gmail icon and go to a list including Inbox, Sent, Trash.
I touch Inbox, gmail connects and grabs all the latest email for me
including all these IxDA discussions.
I begin reading some, and after I read them, I delete them based on 2
assumptions: the emails are taking up space on my phone, and I know they
remain on Gmail servers - that is: if I delete an email on the phone - it
remains when I log in from my laptop. (That's actually annoying because now
the operation of deleting an email from Gmail on the iPhone actually forces
the user to to 4 separate delete actions across 4 contexts and 2 platforms)

Here is the erksome thing:
As I "Delete" conversations/emails, they disappear - and I go to the next
email down on my list. Fine
But I cannot select all emails and Delete.
I still have to go back a level, select Trash, and there are all my deleted
emails again.
I then have to go one email at a time re-deleting them. Again!

So this is not really an iPhone issue - and not just a gmail issue - and it
comes back to yesterdays conversation when I stated that the system should
not make me perform the same operation, one at a time, but within 4 contexts
(Inbox and Trash x 2 platforms), at least not if it doesn't allow Select
All.

[End Gripe]

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
-------------------------------------------------------
will evans
user experience architect
wkevans4 at gmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------

Comments

18 Oct 2007 - 8:54am
Dave Malouf
2005

Will, my gripes with both Gmail and iPhone mail go way deeper than
your petty gripe. ;)

Check out my blog entry on the topic here:
http://synapticburn.com/comments.php?id=264_0_1_0_C

To put it short the "everything in a single inbox" mode from Gmail
Gmail's shoddy POP interface some of the lame design from Apple
all combine to create a well ... horrible! interface!

== dave

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=21628

18 Oct 2007 - 8:57am
Janna DeVylder
2006

I was experiencing this pain just minutes ago.

What I want:

Even though I have my settings set to remove from server when I remove from
my Inbox, it doesn't do it on the next sync. In fact, it seems to take days.
What I want is my experience on the phone or on the web to be the same... I
don't want to process emails in two places. I don't want to have something
in a 'read' state on my phone, only to go into the web version to see it
still as unread.

I had the Tmobile Dash prior to this, and even though the gmail java client
wasn't stellar (limited character count in emails, difficult to access my
contacts), it synced with the web version, and I didn't feel like I did
re-work.

Where I've netted out:
I just turned 'Delete from server' to never. I'm trying to change my
framework, seeing the iPhone version just as an fyi... but I tell you, I'm
not happy about that at all.

janna

18 Oct 2007 - 9:08am
SemanticWill
2007

I haven't even used the Sync yet - and am still exploring the settings but this seems very non-obvious.

w

18 Oct 2007 - 12:14pm
Jay Rogers
2007

Check out the Yahoo Email iPhone integration. It's the best I've seen on foldering, real-time refoldering, and delete. Sometimes flaky, but I think that's coming more from the yahoo server than from the software implementation.

j

----- Original Message ----
From: William Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com>
To: David Malouf <dave at ixda.org>
Cc: "discuss at ixda.org" <discuss at ixda.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:08:41 AM
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] iPhone and Gmail - Oy Gevalt!

You can kvetch with the best of em man.

will evans
user experience architect
wkevans4 at gmail.com
617.281.1281

On Oct 18, 2007, at 6:54 AM, David Malouf <dave at ixda.org> wrote:

> Will, my gripes with both Gmail and iPhone mail go way deeper than
> your petty gripe. ;)
>
> Check out my blog entry on the topic here:
> http://synapticburn.com/comments.php?id=264_0_1_0_C
>
> To put it short the "everything in a single inbox" mode from Gmail
> Gmail's shoddy POP interface some of the lame design from Apple
> all combine to create a well ... horrible! interface!
>
> == dave
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=21628
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://gamma.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://gamma.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://gamma.ixda.org/help
________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
Unsubscribe ................ http://gamma.ixda.org/unsubscribe
List Guidelines ............ http://gamma.ixda.org/guidelines
List Help .................. http://gamma.ixda.org/help

18 Oct 2007 - 1:22pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

My grips at the moment is that the iPhone, for some reason, isn't
grabbing the most recent messages from Gmail. The latest mail I have
right now is from yesterday. This has been going on for a couple of
days now. Makes email much less useful.

Anyone seen this problem? I'm using POP mail through Gmail.

-r-

18 Oct 2007 - 1:25pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

My main (pobox) address forwards to both a gmail and yahoo mail account. On
my iphone I just use the Yahoo now, since with imap it gets all the folders
and I can keep the inbox down to just stuff that was truly sent to me. I
just wish I could mark spam on the iphone (just let me drag it to the Bulk
folder and do the math on the back end). Also I had to set up a dummy
default account so my replies would come from pobox and not from my obscure
yahoo id.

-xian-

On 10/18/07, Janna Hicks DeVylder <janna at devylder.com> wrote:
>
> I was experiencing this pain just minutes ago.
>
> What I want:
>
> Even though I have my settings set to remove from server when I remove
> from
> my Inbox, it doesn't do it on the next sync. In fact, it seems to take
> days.
> What I want is my experience on the phone or on the web to be the same...
> I
> don't want to process emails in two places. I don't want to have something
> in a 'read' state on my phone, only to go into the web version to see it
> still as unread.
>
> I had the Tmobile Dash prior to this, and even though the gmail java
> client
> wasn't stellar (limited character count in emails, difficult to access my
> contacts), it synced with the web version, and I didn't feel like I did
> re-work.
>
> Where I've netted out:
> I just turned 'Delete from server' to never. I'm trying to change my
> framework, seeing the iPhone version just as an fyi... but I tell you, I'm
> not happy about that at all.
>
>
> janna
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://gamma.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://gamma.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://gamma.ixda.org/help
>

--
Christian Crumlish http://xianlandia.com
Yahoo! pattern detective http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns
IA Institute director of technology http://iainstitute.org

18 Oct 2007 - 1:48pm
Dave Malouf
2005

Robert, I'm not getting this problem.
- dave

On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:22 AM, "Robert Hoekman, Jr." <robert at rhjr.net>
wrote:

> My grips at the moment is that the iPhone, for some reason, isn't
> grabbing the most recent messages from Gmail. The latest mail I have
> right now is from yesterday. This has been going on for a couple of
> days now. Makes email much less useful.
>
> Anyone seen this problem? I'm using POP mail through Gmail.
>
> -r-

18 Oct 2007 - 3:40pm
AJalota
2007

I've gone through POP with GMail, then I moved to IMAP with Yahoo, and now I'm currently content with just using mobile GMail via Safari on my iPhone.

I love the conversation-threading way too much.

19 Oct 2007 - 3:28pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

Have you rebooted your phone?

On 10/18/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
> My grips at the moment is that the iPhone, for some reason, isn't
> grabbing the most recent messages from Gmail. The latest mail I have
> right now is from yesterday. This has been going on for a couple of
> days now. Makes email much less useful.
>
> Anyone seen this problem? I'm using POP mail through Gmail.
>
> -r-

19 Oct 2007 - 3:38pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

> Have you rebooted your phone?

Actually, I set up Gmail to forward everything to a dummy acct and
then set up the dummy acct on the iPhone. Then my original acct
(Google Apps with POP) magically started working correctly. So I
deleted the dummy acct and stopped the forwarding in Gmail, and
everything is still cool.

I have no idea what I did that fixed it, but it's back to normal.

I did try rebooting at one point, and I tried deleting all my email to
see if I could trick it into pulling down new email. Neither helped.

-r-

19 Oct 2007 - 4:00pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

At one point I deleted my account and recreated it and that did the
trick. Finally, I just went to my yahoomail mirror, since it works
much better with the jesus phone.

-x-

On 10/19/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
> > Have you rebooted your phone?
>
> Actually, I set up Gmail to forward everything to a dummy acct and
> then set up the dummy acct on the iPhone. Then my original acct
> (Google Apps with POP) magically started working correctly. So I
> deleted the dummy acct and stopped the forwarding in Gmail, and
> everything is still cool.
>
> I have no idea what I did that fixed it, but it's back to normal.
>
> I did try rebooting at one point, and I tried deleting all my email to
> see if I could trick it into pulling down new email. Neither helped.
>
> -r-
>

--
Christian Crumlish http://xianlandia.com
Yahoo! pattern detective http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns
IA Institute director of technology http://iainstitute.org

24 Oct 2007 - 2:10am
Morten Hjerde
2007
Syndicate content Get the feed