JOB: Human Factors Manager at St. Jude Medical (Los Angeles, CA) Full-time
7 Nov 2007 - 4:55pm
**Sent on behalf of Jeff Gray, St. Jude Medical Human Resources**
If you have a moment, I'd appreciate your help. Please take a look and
forward this job on to anyone you think would be interested in the
position, or anyone else who could help me find a great candidate.
Thanks for your help!
Company: St. Jude Medical
Job Title: Human Factors Manager
Description: St. Jude Medical, Inc. (NYSE:STJ) is a global leader in the
design and development of cardiac management devices such as pacemakers
and implantable defibrillators. Our products help save lives in more
than 130 countries and we have over 20 operations and manufacturing
facilities worldwide. We were Ranked # 1 by Fortune Magazine as Most
Admired Medical Products and Equipment Company for 2007. At St. Jude
Medical we offer a stable and ethical work environment where you can
build a challenging and rewarding career.
Our Clinical Systems Engineering group is responsible for defining
requirements for therapeutic and diagnostic features, doctor and nurse
workflow and user interfaces, and high-level solution architecture for
implantable and external products. We are seeking a talented and skilled
Senior Manager, Clinical-Systems Engineering and Usability to drive
clinical systems engineering support and human factors engineering for
external and implantable pacing and defibrillation products. This is an
exciting opportunity for someone looking to lead a product definition
function for a highly successful medical device company.
The Senior Manager, CSE and Usability is responsible for leading 12-15
Clinical-Systems Engineers and Human Factors Engineers in defining and
developing systems by:
* Recruiting Clinical, Systems and/or Human Factors Engineers and
developing their required breadth of expertise. All staff are expected
to learn about device therapy, diagnostics, external products, systems
technology, clinical workflows, company processes and interpersonal
* Devising and executing training plans which leverage "on-the-job"
training and customer-facing opportunities.
* Providing ongoing coaching, feedback and annual performance reviews,
with particular focus on successful new product development and personal
* Providing guidance to new product development teams and reporting
staff to insure they successfully identify inefficiencies and improve
* Working with the Director of CSE Programs to optimize the approach and
resources for all new product development programs, including early
stage research projects and full-scale product development. Ensure that
employees are developed through their program work.
* Keeping management informed of employee performance and development.
Defining and incubating a human factors strategy within CSE and the
* Assessing, refining and communicating our overall strategy for
developing usable products in key areas.
* Identifying current and future human factors core competencies for
* Working with product development leaders and the Director of CSE
Programs, define a strategy and process for outsourced human factors
work that minimizes expense.
* Developing baseline usability expertise among the broader CSE
Some combination of lists below.....
* Exceptional management skills is of most importance.
* Talent in coaching, mentoring, motivating and developing people to
* Ability to assess, transform and align an organization
* Demonstrated ability to champion change
* Business perspective
* System-level perspective
* Engineering experience
Please send your resume in WORD format along with the answers to the
questions below to jmgray at sjm.com
1.) If hired, how soon can you start and are you able to provide legal
right to work documentation?
2.) Specific salary requirements?
3.) Provide a brief of example where you used your management skills to
handle a difficult work environment/change issue?