Suitable icon for freeze

3 Dec 2007 - 12:25am
6 years ago
10 replies
1001 reads
PREETI SALUJA
2007

Hi all!
Can you suggest some good links or any ideas for designing a suitable
icon to denote freeze image and freeze screen?
Kindly get back with any ideas that bouce ur head.
Regards,
Preeti

Comments

3 Dec 2007 - 8:36am
Chauncey Wilson
2007

Hello,

I would suggest that you try the method called braindrawing which is a
visual type of brainstorming. Here are the basic instructions:

1. Each member of a group is invited to explore solutions to a visual
problem statement by sketching solutions for a designed period of
time.
2. The sketches are passed on to another person.
3. The second person then enhances or adds something to the sketch or
creates a new sketch and then passes all the sketches on a page to yet
another person.
4. The process is repeated for several iterations. For example, you
might do five iterations of braindrawing with the first iteration
lasting 10 minutes (the first person has a blank page and might need
more time to get started) followed by four, five-minute enhancement
iterations.
5. At the end of a braindrawing session, all the sketches created by
the group are posted in an "art gallery" where colleagues and
participants in the braindrawing session can review the sketches and
discuss which ideas should be considered further.
6. The post-braindrawing discussion should be recorded. The group can
vote on the best ideas and then prioritize them further at the end of
the session or at a separate session. The ideas can also evaluated by
a different group.

This is a simple technique which can generate many ideas.

The second approach is to brainstorming metaphors associated with
cold, the process of getting colder, etc and then brainstorming images
that go with the various metaphors. After you generate the list, you
can apply various criteria (international acceptability, fit with
current icons, complexity, etc.).

If you don't have a copy, I would highly recommend William Horton's
"The Icon Book" (which may be out of print) as the definitive guide on
principles for icon design. The appendix to the book also has a list
of icons that can be to simulate ideas.

Chauncey

On Dec 3, 2007 12:25 AM, PREETI SALUJA <preeti.saluja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
> Can you suggest some good links or any ideas for designing a suitable
> icon to denote freeze image and freeze screen?
> Kindly get back with any ideas that bouce ur head.
> Regards,
> Preeti
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

3 Dec 2007 - 11:07am
Ari
2006

yes, great recommendation!

Horton's book is 13 or 14 yrs old but still valid today as it was when it
came out. it's a fantastic resource for understanding the theory and
practical considerations when designing icons and visual metaphors.

On Dec 3, 2007 8:36 AM, Chauncey Wilson <chauncey.wilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would suggest that you try the method called braindrawing which is a
> visual type of brainstorming. Here are the basic instructions:
>
> 1. Each member of a group is invited to explore solutions to a visual
> problem statement by sketching solutions for a designed period of
> time.
> 2. The sketches are passed on to another person.
> 3. The second person then enhances or adds something to the sketch or
> creates a new sketch and then passes all the sketches on a page to yet
> another person.
> 4. The process is repeated for several iterations. For example, you
> might do five iterations of braindrawing with the first iteration
> lasting 10 minutes (the first person has a blank page and might need
> more time to get started) followed by four, five-minute enhancement
> iterations.
> 5. At the end of a braindrawing session, all the sketches created by
> the group are posted in an "art gallery" where colleagues and
> participants in the braindrawing session can review the sketches and
> discuss which ideas should be considered further.
> 6. The post-braindrawing discussion should be recorded. The group can
> vote on the best ideas and then prioritize them further at the end of
> the session or at a separate session. The ideas can also evaluated by
> a different group.
>
> This is a simple technique which can generate many ideas.
>
> The second approach is to brainstorming metaphors associated with
> cold, the process of getting colder, etc and then brainstorming images
> that go with the various metaphors. After you generate the list, you
> can apply various criteria (international acceptability, fit with
> current icons, complexity, etc.).
>
> If you don't have a copy, I would highly recommend William Horton's
> "The Icon Book" (which may be out of print) as the definitive guide on
> principles for icon design. The appendix to the book also has a list
> of icons that can be to simulate ideas.
>
> Chauncey
>
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 12:25 AM, PREETI SALUJA <preeti.saluja at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > Can you suggest some good links or any ideas for designing a suitable
> > icon to denote freeze image and freeze screen?
> > Kindly get back with any ideas that bouce ur head.
> > Regards,
> > Preeti
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------------------------------------
www.flyingyogi.com
--------------------------------------------------

3 Dec 2007 - 12:30pm
Katie Albers
2005

Let me just suggest that you may be complicating this unnecessarily
by thinking of it as "freeze" It seems likely that what you want to
do is analogous to either pausing or stopping a video display and
there are recognized icons for both those.

Katie

>On Dec 3, 2007 12:25 AM, PREETI SALUJA <preeti.saluja at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> Can you suggest some good links or any ideas for designing a suitable
>> icon to denote freeze image and freeze screen?
>> Kindly get back with any ideas that bouce ur head.
>> Regards,
>> Preeti
> > ________________________________________________________________

--

------------------
Katie Albers
User Experience Consulting & Project Management
katie at firstthought.com

3 Dec 2007 - 1:52pm
Michael Micheletti
2006

On Dec 3, 2007 8:07 AM, Ari Feldman <ari1970 at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, great recommendation!
>
> Horton's book is 13 or 14 yrs old but still valid today as it was when it
> came out. it's a fantastic resource for understanding the theory and
> practical considerations when designing icons and visual metaphors.
>

I'm not such a big fan of the Horton book. Some design books age well, this
one hasn't IMHO. I gave my copy away, and I do lots of icon design work. I
recommend instead:

Pictograms Icons & Signs, Rayan Abdullah & Roger Hubner
Large and interesting book with examples from many artists and eras. A large
emphasis on Olympics variants is understandable since that sort of started
the trend.

Handbook of Pictorial Symbols, Rudolf Modley
Another good sourcebook with lots of pictorial examples

If you expand out from these two books on Amazon you'll find lots of similar
symbol sourcebooks to choose from.

A more modern book on icon design is:
Icon Design, Steve Caplin
But it's still underwhelming and outdated, even though it was published in
2001. Great color printing though.

Two web sources that I keep hoping will be better than they actually are,
but in case you don't know about them:

The Tango Icon Library
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library

The Merriam-Webster Visual Dictionary Online
http://visual.merriam-webster.com/

If you need to create Windows icons, IcoFX is my favorite of the free icon
editors:
http://icofx.xhost.ro/

I think there's a real opportunity for a crackerjack designer/writer to
create the definitive book on icon and symbol design for software and
hardware products. You'll sell at least one copy to me.

Michael Micheletti

3 Dec 2007 - 4:52pm
Elizabeth Bacon
2003

A Freeze function is an important component of in-clinic cardiac rhythm management systems, where the user takes a snapshot of the past 30 seconds of the patient's rhythm. Playing on the snapshot concept, for a Freeze function in this context, we used a camera icon (with the flash going off) in combination with a simplified waveform.

Cheers,
Liz

4 Dec 2007 - 5:51am
Bruno Figueiredo
2007

I don't know the right context for your freeze metaphor, but since
I'm an Architect by education I use AutoCAD every now and then and
they have a concept of freezing layers. The way they do it is with a
snowflake (kind of an asterisk) icon badge on top of the layer icon.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=23199

4 Dec 2007 - 7:18am
Suneel Posimreddy
2007

An object (may be a cube) and a tick together can represent FREEZE, if it means "finalize" in the usage scenario.

<FONT face=verdana color=#00407f size=1><STRONG></STRONG></FONT>&nbsp;
<FONT face=verdana color=#0060bf size=1><STRONG>suneel posimreddy</STRONG></FONT>
<FONT face=arial color=#737373 size=1>An Image is&nbsp;Worth&nbsp;Thousand Words</FONT>

----- Original Message ----
From: Bruno Figueiredo <bruno.figueiredo at gmail.com>
To: discuss at ixda.org
Sent: Tuesday, 4 December, 2007 4:21:50 PM
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Suitable icon for freeze

I don't know the right context for your freeze metaphor, but since
I'm an Architect by education I use AutoCAD every now and then and
they have a concept of freezing layers. The way they do it is with a
snowflake (kind of an asterisk) icon badge on top of the layer icon.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=23199

________________________________________________________________
*Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

4 Dec 2007 - 7:58am
rajeshsundaram
2007

My Suggestion :
The "Pause" symbol [II]. Easy to understand and is found in most consumer
electronic devices (ipods, AV players, remote controls).

Rajesh Sundaram
IxD
Zoho

5 Dec 2007 - 12:59pm
Pedro Neves
2007

It depends of the quality of the FREEZE.

Freeze may refer to:

Freezing, the physical process
Freeze (breakdance move), the halting of all movement in a clever
position
Freeze (computing), when computer software becoming unresponsive
Freeze (exhibition), an influential art show which established the
Young British Artists
Freeze (software engineering), a period of stricter rules for
changing the software
The Freeze, a punk rock band from Boston, Massachusetts
The Freeze (UK), a punk band from Edinburgh, Scotland, pre-Cindytalk

Freeze drying, a method of rapidly removing moisture from food
products
Freeez, a British dance music band, known for their 1983 hit
"A-E-I-O-U"

But the icon must be something static and white/ blue. :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=23199

5 Dec 2007 - 3:03pm
Hussein Ahmed8
2007

Well, I think I would go with the snow flake centered in addition also
to a small sized classical pause symbol maybe right aligned and by
this we have conveyed the idea of Freezing/Pausing.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=23199

Syndicate content Get the feed