[JOB] UX Design: Product Design for Microsoft Surface - Full Time | Redmond, WA
11 Jan 2008 - 2:42pm
6 years ago
Do you want to really change the way people see the future? Do you have exceptional visual design skills and an impeccable sensibility for color, composition, form and story?
The Microsoft Surface creative design team is looking for a Senior Visual Designer to help develop our visual language for the next generation of computing and entertainment technology. Haven't seen it yet? Take a look at http://www.surface.com.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced (at least 10 years) compositor/motion graphics designer. You will work closely with the Creative Director and Interaction Design team to plan, design and implement the visual language for a generation of computing and entertainment devices unlike anything that exists on the market today. This is a senior role in our creative team: you must be comfortable working at the highest production values.
You'll need to combine a childlike curiosity and imagination with a dedicated work ethic. You should have a gifted eye for design and details, along with strong work practices and production discipline. You must have a proven record of designing and delivering innovative solutions on time for demanding and complex visual problems. While you do not need experience designing interfaces and/or menu systems, you should have a firm understanding of how they work and what makes them work well. You should have excellent visual and technical problem-solving skills and be able to multi-task and work with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate is a strong, dynamic personality who sees a set of design constraints as a challenge for creativity.
* Demonstrate the ability to design and develop a graphical style for a product from the ground up
* Proven experience with composition, timing and movement
* BA from an accredited school in either Graphic Design, Industrial design, Film, Post Production or related fields and a minimum of 10 years experience in graphic design, compositing, broadcast design, motion graphics or similar production.
* Experience with tools such as Illustrator and Photoshop as well as Shake or a similar compositing package.
* Experience with WPF is a big plus, but not necessary
* Excellent graphic design skills (color, form, typography, layout)
* Ability to present complex information in a consistent and cohesive fashion
* Strong understanding of storytelling (story, continuity, timing, gesture)
* A breadth of artistic/visual styles
* Ability to visually communicate without a computer (drawing preferred)
* Good understanding of Brand Identity
* Ability to work within in wide array of visual styles, including a style set by another artist/art director
* Proactively researches new and/or emerging methods for interface design; develops methods for adapting those techniques into appropriate applications that will span multiple markets and cultures
* Boldly push creative boundaries while consistently delivering work on time that is of the highest production values and that meets the required creative and technical criteria.
* Work independently to create/produce visual prototypes in either interactive (WPF or Flash) or linear formats (animatics, comps) for review and refinement before helping to implement in production. Create and explore concepts from sketches to video mock-ups. Your responsibilities will be a mix of design exploration and implementations (production)
* Educate our partners and clients
* Provide consistent and constructive feedback and line leadership for a small team of full time and contract artists.
* As a senior person, using good design process and craft, you will proactively work across the organization to preemptively eliminate problems in the productions cycle, ideally before they occur
* Create and explore concepts from sketches to video mock-ups to supervising production
* Assist in recruiting of Art staff and mentor junior interface artists