[IxDA] Futures research education?

1 Feb 2008 - 1:52am
6 years ago
9 replies
1346 reads
Soo Basu
2005

Hi
I recently became interested in Futures Research. Was wondering if there are
any universities/ courses I can apply to?
Thanks,
Soo

--
"The details are not the details. They make the design' - Charles Eames
****************************************************************************
Sunandini Basu
inktales.blogspot.com
****************************************************************************

Comments

1 Feb 2008 - 2:59am
SemanticWill
2007

Could you amplify your question - what is Futures Research?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443

1 Feb 2008 - 3:52am
Anonymous

hi friends,

I am a Human factors specialist and a CUA(certified Usability Analyst) workign for HFI(Human factors International)in the field of Usability in Web site and Sftware applications domain.

I want to know about firms, design studios and designers who work on innovative projects in the field of interaction design . I would like to work for them on such interesting projects.

1 Feb 2008 - 7:17am
Soo Basu
2005

Hi Will
This is where I came across Futures Research (it's not a new thing; the
article was published in 2003)
http://tinyurl.com/2oluak

as the article cites - "...futures studies is the principled study of the
possible, probable, and preferable future of institutions and societies, and
the steps required to bring about those futures....Rather, futurists tend to
look at futures that are 10 or more years away, examined through the lenses
of demographics, technology, the social sciences, aesthetics, industry,
geopolitics and ecology...Futures work can inform design in a powerful way
by giving designers a playground, a set of methods, provocation and
permission to think as broadly as possible."

Hope this helps,
Soo

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 00:59:54, Will Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you amplify your question - what is Futures Research?
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
"The details are not the details. They make the design' - Charles Eames
****************************************************************************
Sunandini Basu
Interaction Designer
****************************************************************************

2 Feb 2008 - 8:06am
Chauncey Wilson
2007

There is a technique called the "Future Workshop" which is intended to
be a democratic way for citizen groups to have a say in decisions
about future visions. The technique falls under the rubric of
participatory design (PD) and you can find references to it or related
methods in the PD literature (I'll list the specifics, but my PD books
are at work now).

Here is a good article which describes the method. I think that there
are variations on this methods that look at near, mid, and far future
visions. You might be talking about the far future; this method seems
more appropos for the near or mid future though the technique below
would work for the distance future if you bring in the groups of
participants that you mention (scientists, politicians, aesthetics
experts, ......)

http://www.die-bonn.de/esprid/dokumente/doc-2004/apel04_02.pdf
(Heino Apel, The Future Workshop)

The three steps in the method are:

1. The Critique phase (brainstorming the current issues about the
problem; clustering of related phases, evaluation of issues)
2. The Fantasy phase (imagination inspiration exercises; turn
critiques from phase 1 into opposites or starting points,
brainwriting, role playing, painting or drawing future ideas, fairy
tales or fantastic stories, role playing futures, creation of an idea
store
3. The Implementation phase (evaluate ideas from the idea store with
regard to realistic constraints, pick out best ideas, develop them
more concretely, choose one or more ideas to develop in detail, build
an action plan about how to move to the future vision.

Chauncey

On Feb 1, 2008 8:17 AM, Sunandini Basu <sunandinibasu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Will
> This is where I came across Futures Research (it's not a new thing; the
> article was published in 2003)
> http://tinyurl.com/2oluak
>
> as the article cites - "...futures studies is the principled study of the
> possible, probable, and preferable future of institutions and societies, and
> the steps required to bring about those futures....Rather, futurists tend to
> look at futures that are 10 or more years away, examined through the lenses
> of demographics, technology, the social sciences, aesthetics, industry,
> geopolitics and ecology...Futures work can inform design in a powerful way
> by giving designers a playground, a set of methods, provocation and
> permission to think as broadly as possible."
>
> Hope this helps,
> Soo
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 00:59:54, Will Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Could you amplify your question - what is Futures Research?
> >
> >
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443
> >
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
>
>
>
> --
> "The details are not the details. They make the design' - Charles Eames
> ****************************************************************************
> Sunandini Basu
> Interaction Designer
> ****************************************************************************
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

2 Feb 2008 - 10:48am
Gloria Petron
2007

You might try also searching "Scenarios" and "Scenario planning".
This is a fascinating field of research, and a lot of corporations are
paying big bucks for it.

Here's an example:
http://www.futurist.com/2008/01/25/21st-century-oil-scenarios-from-shell/

-G

2 Feb 2008 - 2:38pm
Mark Schraad
2006

There are lots of books and examples out there regarding scenario
planning. One of the best can be downloaded for free as a pdf from GBN.

http://www.gbn.com/ArticleDisplayServlet.srv?aid=34550

Mark

Plotting Your Scenarios
An Introduction to the Art and Process of Scenario Planning
December 2004

“Plotting Your Scenarios” by GBN cofounders Peter Schwartz and Jay
Ogilvy is an invaluable introduction to the art and process of
scenario planning, originally published in Learning From the Future
(Liam Fahey and Robert Randall, eds, Wiley, 1998).

On Feb 2, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Gloria Petron wrote:

> You might try also searching "Scenarios" and "Scenario planning".
> This is a fascinating field of research, and a lot of corporations are
> paying big bucks for it.
>
> Here's an example:
> http://www.futurist.com/2008/01/25/21st-century-oil-scenarios-from-
> shell/
>
>
> -G
> ________________________________________________________________

2 Feb 2008 - 3:43pm
Jeff Howard
2004

Another scenario planning book by Schwartz I can recommend is The Art
of the Long View. It's dated (1996), but still provides a good
introduction to the topic, including (related to Gloria's link) some
of the work they did for Shell.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Long-View-Planning-Uncertain/dp/0385267320

// jeff

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443

2 Feb 2008 - 3:53pm
Mark Schraad
2006

...and speaking of Shell, they (are one of the few companies that) do
a nice job of documenting the results of their planning. They create
videos, booklets, and they publish extensively on the web. Annual
reports are also good place to look for scenario artifacts.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/aboutshell-en/our_strategy/
shell_global_scenarios/dir_global_scenarios_07112006.html

On Feb 2, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Jeff Howard wrote:

> Another scenario planning book by Schwartz I can recommend is The Art
> of the Long View. It's dated (1996), but still provides a good
> introduction to the topic, including (related to Gloria's link) some
> of the work they did for Shell.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Art-Long-View-Planning-Uncertain/dp/0385267320
>
> // jeff
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

2 Feb 2008 - 4:48pm
Victor Lombardi
2003

A good place to start is the World Futures Society:

http://www.wfs.org/

If you're new to the field, I recommend attending their annual
conference which is coming up in July in Washington D.C. There's a
wide range of occupations, applications, and methods beyond scenario
planning that becomes apparent during the conference, and it's a
great place to meet experienced folks in the field.

Victor Lombardi

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25443

Syndicate content Get the feed