JOB User Researcher Pasadena, CA Kaiser Permanente Full Time
24 Feb 2008 - 8:59pm
Kaiser Permanente is looking for someone who thrives doing User-Centered
Design and helping to create a great User Experience. The ideal candidate
will have background in Information Architecture, Interaction Design, User
Interface Design, User Research, and Usability Engineering, and will be
comfortable interfacing regularly with Producers, Designers and Technology
The User Researcher will be primarily responsible for designing, conducting,
analyzing, and reporting on user-centered design research and usability
testing for the KP.org website, including identification of user needs and
goals, task and workflow modeling, ethnography and persona development as
well as rapid iterative usability testing, and more formal, in-depth
testing. A successful User Researcher must be able to work with minimal
supervision on multiple concurrent projects.
The ideal candidate will also possess some interaction design skills,
including the ability to create and document navigation structures and
information designs. The candidate does not have to create final visual
designs, but should have the ability to create detailed screen wireframes to
effectively communicate designs to product management, design, and
You will be expected to:
- Conduct usability research both online and in the field and provide
recommendations for improvement.
- Serve as a member of a team that acts as a "repository" of
research-based usability knowledge.
- Work with project business representatives and team members to test
business requirements using heuristic/qualitative methods.
- Determine user needs by conducting task-focused analyses.
- Work with graphic designers to test proposed look & feel
- Coordinate, conduct and moderate usability tests and prepare written
- Work with design, editorial, and technology team members to gain
consensus on the usability of proposed user interface designs.
- Support feature development using standards and design patterns
based on business needs and user research.
This position is vital to insuring that KP.org delivers on the promise of,
"People. Understanding. Health." - we care about people using the web
site, we understand their needs and create features that work for them, and
make it easy for them to stay involved in their health.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Factors, Cognitive, or
Experimental Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, or related field, or
demonstrated related job experience (Experimental background and Masters
- 3-5 years of Web Interaction Design experience.
- 3-5 years of usability testing experience with an emphasis on Web
usability testing and evaluation.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with user-centered design
methodologies, information architecture, interaction design, and usability
- A basic understanding of web development/HTML driven design.
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft A strong working knowledge
of and experience applying statistical analysis to usability assessments.
- Sensitivity to the physical, cognitive, emotional, environmental,
social, and cultural needs of the online audience.
- Ability to effectively negotiate conflict and persuade others on the
merits of a design or other user experience solution.
- Ability to assess, prioritize, and make tradeoffs in considering
business, technical, and user constraints to design.
- Experience designing UI solutions for consumer-focused Web sites and
- Experience with interface design tools like Dreamweaver, Visio,
IRise and similar applications.
- A minimum of 3 years experience designing high-quality online
solutions and working with a team of user-centered designers and business
- Comfortable setting up video and computer equipment for testing.
- Demonstrates good written and verbal communication skills including
This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of
Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the
privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the
organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance,
and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations,
accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser
Permanente's policies and procedures.
To submit your resume or find out more about this and other positions,
please visit our web site at www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org. . For immediate
consideration, please submit your resume online at www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org. and create a personal profile. Please use the
Copy and Paste option to attach an unformatted (text only) resume. Job ID:
INTERNAL EMPLOYEES: Please use the "Kaiser Permanente Employees" link to
create your profile. Use the Copy and Paste option to attach an unformatted
(text only) resume. Program Offices does not require any Transfer
Applications or Performance Appraisals at this time. However, you will be
notified if your appraisal will be needed at a later date.
Kaiser Permanente offers exceptional benefits. A competitive compensation
package will be offered to applicants, commensurate with experience. Kaiser
Permanente is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.