JOB Interaction Designer Oakland, CA Kaiser Permanente Full Time
24 Feb 2008 - 10:00pm
Kaiser Permanente is looking for someone who thrives doing User-Centered
Design and helping to create a great User Experience (UX). The ideal
candidate will have a strong background in Information Architecture,
Interaction Design, User Interface Design, User Research, and Usability
Engineering and knows how to align business strategies and requirements with
established industry standards and methodologies. The Interaction Designer
will be responsible for information architecture, wireframe design, applying
patterns to new features and involvement in user research efforts. A
successful Interaction Designer must be able to work with minimal
supervision on multiple concurrent projects.
The Interaction Designer will also be involved with designing and conducting
user-centered design research, identification of user needs and goals, and
usability testing such as rapid iterative usability testing and design,
heuristic evaluations, and in-depth usability testing.
You will be expected to:
- Develop effective interactive design solutions that meet business,
project, and design goals, based on standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate with colleagues in other functional groups (e.g.,
Creative, Technology, Product Management, Marketing and Production) to
deliver on website and feature development and ongoing enhancements.
- Create IA and user experience documentation and contribute to the
development of processes and best practices.
- Participate in design team and project team meetings.
- Understand site visitor needs by developing personas and conducting
user research efforts.
- Contribute to site and project requirement definitions including
analyzing/reconciling user, business, and technical needs as regards IA and
- Responsible for the creation of consistent information hierarchies
for site navigation on both a site-wide level and a page-specific level,
while adhering to design uniformity within and across projects.
- Evaluate existing and new designs for quality and consistency,
ensuring scalability of design on projects.
- Develop detailed navigation flows, site maps, wireframes and
interface design/ functional specifications that capture site processes and
all user interaction points with the system.
- Evangelize good user experience and innovative and engaging
- Updating and maintaining a Design Pattern Library.
This position is vital to insuring that KP.org delivers on the promise of
"People. Understanding. Health." - we care about people using the web
site, we understand their needs and create features that work for them, and
make it easy for them to stay involved their health.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Factors, Cognitive, or
Experimental Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, or related field, or
demonstrated related job experience (Experimental background and Master's
- 3-5 years of Web Interaction Design experience.
- 3-5 years of usability testing experience with an emphasis on Web
usability testing and evaluation.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with user-centered design
methodologies, information architecture, interaction design, and usability
- A basic understanding of web development/HTML driven design.
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and
- A strong working knowledge of and experience applying statistical
analysis to usability assessments.
- Sensitivity to the physical, cognitive, emotional, environmental,
social, and cultural needs of the online audience.
- Ability to effectively negotiate conflict and persuade others on the
merits of a design or other user experience solution.
- Ability to assess, prioritize, and make tradeoffs in considering
business, technical, and user constraints to design.
- Experience designing UI solutions for consumer-focused Web sites and
- Experience with interface design tools like Dreamweaver, Visio,
IRise and similar applications.
- A minimum of 3 years experience designing high-quality online
solutions and working with a cross-functional team of user-centered
designers and business stakeholders.
- Comfortable setting up video and computer equipment for testing.
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills including
This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of
Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the
privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the
organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance,
and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations,
accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser
Permanente's policies and procedures.
To submit your resume or find out more about this and other positions,
please visit our web site at www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org. . For immediate
consideration, please submit your resume online at www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org. and create a personal profile. Please use the
Copy and Paste option to attach an unformatted (text only) resume. Job ID:
INTERNAL EMPLOYEES: Please use the "Kaiser Permanente Employees" link to
create your profile. Use the Copy and Paste option to attach an unformatted
(text only) resume. Program Offices does not require any Transfer
Applications or Performance Appraisals at this time. However, you will be
notified if your appraisal will be needed at a later date.
Kaiser Permanente offers exceptional benefits. A competitive compensation
package will be offered to applicants, commensurate with experience. Kaiser
Permanente is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.