IxD: Mac Resources

18 Mar 2008 - 5:29am
6 years ago
26 replies
1279 reads
John Gibbard
2008

Hi people,
I have decided to get myself a new laptop (economic crisis? what economic
crisis) which, happily, will be a MacBook Pro. So, having taken the plunge
and switched to Team Cupertino what Mac-based stuff do I need? In order to
keep the list traffic to a minimum please respond direct unless you think
it's of community importance (hope that's not too Nanny Bot-ish). At the
very least I'll be adding:

a) iWork 08, for all the Keynote goodness.
b) OmniGraffle

I'm thinking people will be suggesting Illustrator too. What I'm really
after are the kind of Mac-only applications/hardware that those of us who
are converts won't know about but seasoned Mac-users find helpful in their
IxD day-jobs.

Thanks guys,
--
John Gibbard (User Experience Architect)
t. +44 (0)7957 102577 skype. johngibbard

Comments

18 Mar 2008 - 9:11am
Scott McDaniel
2007

Actually, if it doesn't become too much of a nuisance, please do keep
this public.
I'm changing jobs (my first time with no development, just IA!
Huzzah!), and we're
working on MacBook Pros as well.

Thanks!
Scott

18 Mar 2008 - 9:15am
Matt Nish-Lapidus
2007

> Actually, if it doesn't become too much of a nuisance, please do keep
> this public.
> I'm changing jobs (my first time with no development, just IA!
> Huzzah!), and we're
> working on MacBook Pros as well.

In that case I will post the reply I just sent to John:

-----

Hi John,

I'm not sure about exactly the type of work you do, but here are the
Mac only tools I use on a daily basis:

- OmniGraffle (wireframes, diagrams)
- TextMate (html/css/javascript for prototypes or production)
- Aduim (instant messaging, all networks)
- Camino (best day to day browser, mozilla based, but fast like safari)
- Quicksilver (app launcher and way more, hard to describe but
indispensable once you get used to it)
- Transmission (not really for work, great bittorrent client)

Those are all Mac only and great software. Also, keep in mind that
there are a few mindset changes required... Stay away from Acrobat
Reader, the built in Preview app is better for PDFs. Also, if you're
not an iTunes user already and you listen to music it's your best
option.

And then all the other standards, Photoshop/Illustrator, Office (if
you need it..), etc...

Hope that helps!

Matt.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
work: matt at bibliocommons.com / www.bibliocommons.com
--
personal: mattnl at gmail.com

18 Mar 2008 - 9:15am
SemanticWill
2007

Okay -

No IA or IxDA work can get done without Adobe CS3.
If you can't get the whole master suite - then the following:

InDesign
Photoshop
Dreamweaver
Fireworks.

Those are absolute must-haves.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Scott McDaniel <scott at scottopic.com>
wrote:

> Actually, if it doesn't become too much of a nuisance, please do keep
> this public.
> I'm changing jobs (my first time with no development, just IA!
> Huzzah!), and we're
> working on MacBook Pros as well.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | CrowdSprout
tel +1.617.281.1281 | fax +1.617.507.6016 | will at crowdsprout.com

18 Mar 2008 - 9:16am
Ari
2006

Get Parallels or VMWare Fusion so you can run Windows apps w/o having to
reboot.

I also recommend Yojimbo for organizing your data - there are similar progs
for OS X but they all keep their files separately where Yojimbo uses a
single sqlite db for easy backup.

Chronosync is also useful for making frequent backups of critical files on
schedule.

And, a good text editor - smultron is free and will do the trick.

On 3/18/08, John Gibbard <john at smorgasbord-design.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi people,
> I have decided to get myself a new laptop (economic crisis? what economic
> crisis) which, happily, will be a MacBook Pro. So, having taken the plunge
> and switched to Team Cupertino what Mac-based stuff do I need? In order to
> keep the list traffic to a minimum please respond direct unless you think
> it's of community importance (hope that's not too Nanny Bot-ish). At the
> very least I'll be adding:
>
> a) iWork 08, for all the Keynote goodness.
> b) OmniGraffle
>
> I'm thinking people will be suggesting Illustrator too. What I'm really
> after are the kind of Mac-only applications/hardware that those of us who
> are converts won't know about but seasoned Mac-users find helpful in their
> IxD day-jobs.
>
> Thanks guys,
> --
>
> John Gibbard (User Experience Architect)
> t. +44 (0)7957 102577 skype. johngibbard
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------------------------------------
www.flyingyogi.com
--------------------------------------------------

18 Mar 2008 - 9:21am
Todd Warfel
2003

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Scott McDaniel wrote:

> Actually, if it doesn't become too much of a nuisance, please do
> keep this public. I'm changing jobs (my first time with no
> development, just IA! Huzzah!), and we're working on MacBook Pros as
> well.

For strict IA and presentation work:
1. iWork '08 — w/Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, we haven't touched MS
Office in over a year.
2. OmniGraffle — perfect for task flow diagrams, sitemaps, and
wireframes.

For IA/Interaction and Prototyping:
1. Adobe CS3 Web Edition w/InDesign purchased separately — this will
give you plenty of tools for diagraming, wireframes, prototyping in
HTML/CSS/JS and Flash. We use InDesign/Illustrator for wireframes and
DW/Flash for prototyping. Fireworks is a great UI/Interaction design
tool as well. In fact, I've heard that Adobe uses it to design the UIs
of some of their own applications.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

18 Mar 2008 - 9:37am
SemanticWill
2007

BTW: Congrats on planning on getting a Mac. Apple products tell the world
you are creative and unique. When I was at Interactions08, I noticed that
majny of the speakers had Mac Book Pros, and many attendees - Todd W, Dan
B., Christian C all were sporting them. This got me to thinking that there
must be a connection. Pauric has a completely tricked out MacBook. It looks
like a Nascar sports car with all the stickers. Pauric must design really
fast.

I can only say that getting a Mac Book will make you a better designer - and
a better person :-)

PS: Dave M does not have a Mac Book Pro. Neither do I - yet.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:29 AM, John Gibbard <john at smorgasbord-design.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi people,
> I have decided to get myself a new laptop (economic crisis? what economic
> crisis) which, happily, will be a MacBook Pro. So, having taken the plunge
> and switched to Team Cupertino what Mac-based stuff do I need? In order to
> keep the list traffic to a minimum please respond direct unless you think
> it's of community importance (hope that's not too Nanny Bot-ish). At the
> very least I'll be adding:
>
> a) iWork 08, for all the Keynote goodness.
> b) OmniGraffle
>
> I'm thinking people will be suggesting Illustrator too. What I'm really
> after are the kind of Mac-only applications/hardware that those of us who
> are converts won't know about but seasoned Mac-users find helpful in their
> IxD day-jobs.
>
> Thanks guys,
> --
> John Gibbard (User Experience Architect)
> t. +44 (0)7957 102577 skype. johngibbard
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | CrowdSprout
tel +1.617.281.1281 | fax +1.617.507.6016 | will at crowdsprout.com

18 Mar 2008 - 9:41am
kimbieler
2007

Utilities:
- Linotype Font Explorer if you have more than 25 fonts. It's free!
And much less buggy than Suitcase.
- An FTP client like Fetch
- Stuffit compression app

-- Kim

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Kim Bieler Graphic Design
www.kbgd.com
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

18 Mar 2008 - 9:48am
Matt Nish-Lapidus
2007

I second FontExplorer, can't believe I forgot it on my list :)

IMHO, Fetch is pretty bad.. if you need FTP frequently there are free
apps like CyberDuck, my favorite is a paid app called Transmit.

Do people still use Stuffit? Now that zip is built into OSX i don't
really see the need to continue with Stuffit.. I use an app called The
Unarchiver that support almost every format and is better than the
built in archive app.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Kim Bieler <kimbieler at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Utilities:
> - Linotype Font Explorer if you have more than 25 fonts. It's free!
> And much less buggy than Suitcase.
> - An FTP client like Fetch
> - Stuffit compression app
>
>
>
> -- Kim
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Kim Bieler Graphic Design
> www.kbgd.com
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
work: matt at bibliocommons.com / www.bibliocommons.com
--
personal: mattnl at gmail.com

18 Mar 2008 - 9:51am
Mark Schraad
2006

and Paparazzi

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Kim Bieler <kimbieler at mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Utilities:
> - Linotype Font Explorer if you have more than 25 fonts. It's free!
> And much less buggy than Suitcase.
> - An FTP client like Fetch
> - Stuffit compression app
>
>
>
> -- Kim
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Kim Bieler Graphic Design
> www.kbgd.com
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

18 Mar 2008 - 9:52am
kimbieler
2007

See, that was all part of my secret plan to find better versions of
the old utilities I am still using out of habit...

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:

> IMHO, Fetch is pretty bad.. if you need FTP frequently there are free
> apps like CyberDuck, my favorite is a paid app called Transmit.
>
> Do people still use Stuffit? Now that zip is built into OSX i don't
> really see the need to continue with Stuffit.. I use an app called The
> Unarchiver that support almost every format and is better than the
> built in archive app.
>

-- Kim

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Kim Bieler Graphic Design
www.kbgd.com
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

18 Mar 2008 - 10:00am
Michael B. Moore
2008

This is a great thread - I just changed to a MBP a couple of weeks ago after
many, many years on Windows.
I'm really pleased and amazed at how much software is built into the
machine, and for the 3rd party apps you do get, how inexpensive they
generally are. I too have gone the iWork08 route as I just couldn't bear to
load MS Office on my shiny new laptop. And with the Adobe crossgrade program
I'm pretty well set for getting back to my usual tools. (How long does it
take them to ship those disks?)

I kept my old PC to fall back on if I can't open a file or save something in
the right format. I use the Remote Desktop Connection to get back to it from
the Mac.

Michael Moore

18 Mar 2008 - 10:13am
Jack L. Moffett
2005

CSSEdit - great tool for, well, editing CSS
TextWrangler (free) or BBEdit (for pay)
Remote Desktop Connection (remote into Windows machines)
Omni Outliner
Xscope
FontCard

This same topic came up back in June. The resulting list is
summarized (with links) here:
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=17752

Welcome to good times,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

When I am working on a problem,
I never think about beauty.
I think only of how to solve the problem.

But when I have finished,
if the solution is not beautiful,
I know it is wrong.

- R. Buckminster Fuller

18 Mar 2008 - 12:20pm
Bill Fernandez
2007

At 10:29 AM +0000 3/18/08, John Gibbard wrote:
>I have decided to get myself a new... MacBook Pro. So, having taken the plunge
>and switched to Team Cupertino what Mac-based stuff do I need?

Here are a variety of Mac apps I regularly use. --Bill

App Launcher: DragThing

Text Editor: TextWrangler or TextMate

Web Browser: Safari or Firefox

Database: FileMaker

Writing organizer: Scrivner

Random file collector for projects: DevonThink Pro

File metadata inspector/editor: Informator

Screen capture: Use the built-in facilities, or Constrictor, or
SnapNDrag, or Snapz Pro X

Odd-text-character finder: PopChar X

Accounting program: QuickBooks

Onscreen-object measurement utility: xScope

Color scheme editor: Color Schemer Studio

3D graphics/button creator: Art Text

3D button creator: ButtonGadget

Web page capture utility: Web Snapper

Flash video grabber: Videobox

Audio recorder/editor: Amadeus Pro

CD/DVD copier/burner: Disco

Slide show creator: FotoMagico

video file format converter: VisualHub

Multiformat video player: VLC

Ambient sound creator: SonicMood

DVD ripper: HandBrake

Web server environment (Apache + PHP + MySQL): MAMP Pro

CSS/HTML inspector/analyzer: Xyle scope

Quick website builder: RapidWeaver

FTP: Yummy FTP or Transmit

Network path analyzer: Path Analyzer Pro

Personal VPN for when you're travelling: Witopia.com

Create encrypted disks to store sensitive data: Use Apple's Disk Utility.

Multi-protocol Instant Messaging: Adium

VoIP softphone: see the Gizmo Project, or X-Lite, or iSoftphone

File and disk repair utilities: Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro

Advanced firewall: Intego's NetBarrier X

File/disk backup: Intego's Personal Backup X, or SuperDuper

Bulk filename renamer: NameChanger

Bulk permissions changer: BatChmod

Graphical process monitor: Peek-a-Boo

Web password secure storage: 1Password

Website bulk downloader: Deep Vacuum

Panorama stitcher: DoubleTake

--

======================================================================
Bill Fernandez * User Interface Architect * Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080 * bf_list1 AT billfernandez DOT com *
http://billfernandez.com
======================================================================

18 Mar 2008 - 10:44am
jonesabi
2006

Don't forget the <a href="http://www.jingproject.com/">Jing Project</a>:
necessary, fast and (dare I say it?) fun way to capture and annotate images.

Though I have to admit that I'm still waiting for SnagIt for Mac.

18 Mar 2008 - 11:14am
John Gibbard
2008

In the light of Jack's post of the historic thread (v. inf) and the
overwhelming response, I think I've got most application bases covered now.
So, perhaps we can call time on the thread?

Many thanks to everyone who's posted. If you've got a glaring omission
please let me know direct.

Thanks,
J.

<snipped for Nanny>

This same topic came up back in June. The resulting list is
summarized (with links) here:
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=17752

Welcome to good times,
Jack

<snipped for Nanny>

18 Mar 2008 - 10:21am
Michael B. Moore
2008

I see nobody has mentioned Coda - it seemed like a really nice web-focused
editor, with built-in FTP and CSS editor. Is it just that Textmate is the
standard?
Also I saw the recommendation for Paparazzi, but looking at the web page I
can't really tell what it gets you over the built-in Grab. (Other than
requiring that unbelievably awkward key combination of
Shift-Control-Command-4 to get something you can paste into a document.)

18 Mar 2008 - 12:55pm
Todd Warfel
2003

On Mar 18, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Michael Moore wrote:

> Is it just that Textmate is the standard?

Textmate is pretty good. I do like how Coda has advance, the built-in
preview, and ftp. Personally, we use Dreamweaver at our shop for
similar reasons. I just wish it was a bit faster.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

18 Mar 2008 - 1:26pm
Matt Nish-Lapidus
2007

Paparazzi lets you do web page screen captures what are the whole page
length rather than the screen/window length.

Coda is nice, if I were to switch to a more wysiwyg editor that would
be it... TextMate is just the best for all around editing.. web,
programming, or just text.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Michael Moore
<mmoore at pureinfodesign.com> wrote:
> I see nobody has mentioned Coda - it seemed like a really nice web-focused
> editor, with built-in FTP and CSS editor. Is it just that Textmate is the
> standard?
> Also I saw the recommendation for Paparazzi, but looking at the web page I
> can't really tell what it gets you over the built-in Grab. (Other than
> requiring that unbelievably awkward key combination of
> Shift-Control-Command-4 to get something you can paste into a document.)
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
work: matt at bibliocommons.com / www.bibliocommons.com
--
personal: mattnl at gmail.com

18 Mar 2008 - 1:39pm
Ari
2006

I use Coda and it's nice. SkEdit is similar and cheaper but version 4 is a
bit more fickle.

As for Mac screen cap utilities, I find 'InstantShot' to be really useful.
it's FREE and runs in your menu bar so it's available from any app and
doesn't take up precious dock space.

ok, topic dead...

On 3/18/08, Michael Moore <mmoore at pureinfodesign.com> wrote:
>
> I see nobody has mentioned Coda - it seemed like a really nice web-focused
> editor, with built-in FTP and CSS editor. Is it just that Textmate is the
> standard?
> Also I saw the recommendation for Paparazzi, but looking at the web page I
> can't really tell what it gets you over the built-in Grab. (Other than
> requiring that unbelievably awkward key combination of
> Shift-Control-Command-4 to get something you can paste into a document.)
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------------------------------------
www.flyingyogi.com
--------------------------------------------------

18 Mar 2008 - 1:58pm
Graham McAllister
2008

The Mac has so much quality software it's hard to believe the gap
between it and PC software. I hope the following are of use:

Screen capture - ScreenFlow (http://www.varasoftware.com/products/screenflow/
) - I've heard this referred to as a Morae killer, I don't think that
is true, but this tool could have a place in your usability toolkit.

Note taking - VoodooPad Lite (http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/voodoopadlite.html
) a fantastic way to keep and organize notes. Essentially it's a
local wiki, it keeps all your notes in one place and offers fast
searching. Free too.

RSS - NetNewsWire (http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/NetNewsWire/Default.aspx
), simply the best RSS reader and they've just recently made it free.

Blogging - MarsEdit (http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/), easy to
use. MacJournal might also be worth looking at if you want to keep a
journal also.

Image editing - Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/), not a
replacement for Photoshop, but it has some interesting features and
worth a look.

Welcome to Mac.

Graham.

On 18 Mar 2008, at 18:26, Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:

> Paparazzi lets you do web page screen captures what are the whole page
> length rather than the screen/window length.
>
> Coda is nice, if I were to switch to a more wysiwyg editor that would
> be it... TextMate is just the best for all around editing.. web,
> programming, or just text.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Michael Moore
> <mmoore at pureinfodesign.com> wrote:
>> I see nobody has mentioned Coda - it seemed like a really nice web-
>> focused
>> editor, with built-in FTP and CSS editor. Is it just that Textmate
>> is the
>> standard?
>> Also I saw the recommendation for Paparazzi, but looking at the web
>> page I
>> can't really tell what it gets you over the built-in Grab. (Other
>> than
>> requiring that unbelievably awkward key combination of
>> Shift-Control-Command-4 to get something you can paste into a
>> document.)
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Matt Nish-Lapidus
> work: matt at bibliocommons.com / www.bibliocommons.com
> --
> personal: mattnl at gmail.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

18 Mar 2008 - 2:04pm
Graham McAllister
2008

The Mac has so much quality software it's hard to believe the gap
between it and PC software. I hope the following are of use:

Screen capture - ScreenFlow
(http://www.varasoftware.com/products/screenflow/) - I've heard this
referred to as a Morae killer, I don't think that is true, but this
tool could have a place in your usability toolkit.

Note taking - VoodooPad Lite
(http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/voodoopadlite.html) a fantastic way
to keep and organize notes. Essentially it's a local wiki, it keeps
all your notes in one place and offers fast searching. Free too.

RSS - NetNewsWire
(http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/NetNewsWire/Default.aspx),
simply the best RSS reader and they've just recently made it free.

Blogging - MarsEdit (http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/), easy to
use. MacJournal might also be worth looking at if you want to keep a
journal also.

Image editing - Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/), not a
replacement for Photoshop, but it has some interesting features and
worth a look.

Welcome to Mac.

Graham.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=27243

18 Mar 2008 - 8:25pm
Itamar Medeiros
2006

For FTP, I personally recommend CyberDuck

For writing references/footnotes/biblographies: OneNote

You'll also need a good maintenance (clean cache/wipe .DS store
file, etc..) manager: Onyx

--
{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
designing clear, understandable communication by
caring to structure, context, and presentation
of data and information

website ::: http://designative.info/
mobile ::: 86 13671503252
skype ::: designative

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=27243

18 Mar 2008 - 9:18pm
jarango
2004

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:29 AM, John Gibbard
<john at smorgasbord-design.co.uk> wrote:

> What I'm really
> after are the kind of Mac-only applications/hardware that those of us who
> are converts won't know about but seasoned Mac-users find helpful in their
> IxD day-jobs.

Not an IxD app per se, but DiskWarrior
[ http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ ] has saved my hide on numerous
occasions. No Mac should be without it.

Cheers,

--
Jorge Arango
http://www.jarango.com

19 Mar 2008 - 1:12am
Angel Marquez
2008

BBedit
Filezilla
MAMP PRO
CocoaMySQL
Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Flex Builder

19 Mar 2008 - 7:09am
Chris Pallé
2007

Don't want to repeat too much of what's been put here, but I just
discovered this great mac-only organization tool, Together. (sorry no
link, on iPhone)

Chris Palle, {human} experience
blue flame interactive
732-513-3570
http://blueflameinteractive.com
Sent from iPhone

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:18 PM, "Jorge Arango" <jarango at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:29 AM, John Gibbard
> <john at smorgasbord-design.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> What I'm really
>> after are the kind of Mac-only applications/hardware that those of
>> us who
>> are converts won't know about but seasoned Mac-users find helpful
>> in their
>> IxD

19 Mar 2008 - 2:03am
Sharon Greenfield5
2008

For FTP
Transmit
http://www.panic.com/transmit/
Shareware

For cataloging books,cd's, etc via webcam and barcode:
Delicious Monster
http://www.delicious-monster.com/
Shareware

SuperDuper! is backup heaven, makes recovery painless.
SuperDuper!
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/
ShareWare

For text editing and greping, find and replace etc.:
Text Wrangler
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/
Freeware

Make your life into a comic strip:
Comic Life
http://plasq.com/comiclife
Shareware

Download Utility, downloads whole web sites or filtered web content
Deep Vacuum
http://www.hexcat.com/deepvacuum/index.html
FreeWare

Watch stupid .wmv's
Flip4Mac
http://www.flip4mac.com/
FreePlugin

IRC client
Colloquy
http://colloquy.info/
FreeWare

Ripped and then Converted DVD's:
Mac the Ripper Handbrake
http://www.mactheripper.org/
http://handbrake.fr/
FreeWare

Great maintenence utility
Cocktail
http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php
ShareWare

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=27243

Syndicate content Get the feed