Job: Information Architect/Interaction Design. Loc: NYC. CO: Ariel Partners: Recruiter/ Full-time Employee or Contract. Duration: 2-4 Years
17 Mar 2008 - 4:06pm
bcopello at ari...
*Information Architect/Interaction Design*
This position is for immediate hire. Structure flexible for the right
resource able to make a long term commitment; i.e. Full-time Employee or
Long term consulting will also be considered.
This opportunity involves the development of a Web based product on a
J2EE Websphere platform employing AJAX Technologies on the front end.
The Product is an Enterprise Scale Management System to help large
client and its sub-agencies manage critical resources.
*Location:* Highly accessible; near Penn Station in NYC.
*Description:* Designing for leading edge interactive AJAX web (thin
client, rich GUI or RIA), developing screens; work closely with business
analysts, clients, and the UI development team.
Application UI/ID/UX position, major deliverables are Hi-Fi prototype,
by management to foster client feedback, and to support inside sales.
Visual design, information architecture and interaction design. Help
refine the technological concepts like XSL/Ajax; that power the
application front-end. Work closely with development to ensure
successful implementation of GUI specifications.
· Strong Application Design background, with heavy thin
client/browser based applications,
· Ability to design from requirements, design from scratch.
· Ability to facilitate collaborative requirements definition
meetings from a user advocates position.
· Hands on experience with fundamentals of design; Full SDLC
experience from a UI POV, including: Abstract design, articulate logic
flows as well as screen-flows; states and transitions. (Focused Exp.
· Lo-Fi to Hi-Fi hands-on Prototyping (Focused Exp. Required)
· Field research, CI (Contextual Inquiry)
· Test Experience
*Application Design Experience required*; Excellent written and oral
communication skills; Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
*Technical Skills Profile:*
ability to hand code simple JS, and repurpose complex JS
* DHTML, CSS, in a production environment: (Advanced)
* Graphics applications Like DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Illustrator,
Visio or similar tools exp. To do mockup web pages
* AJAX - Familiarity: The candidate should be cognizant of the
latest trends in UI, i.e. AJAX/Web 2.0.
* Object Oriented Programming concepts
* Dojo, Scriptaculous, as well as familiarity with XML are big pluses.
* AJAX/Web 2.0 Experience: High-end interactive design experience
incorporating AJAX Web 2.0 technologies
* Experience with Product Development; Strongly preferred
Detailed Breakdown/Elaboration of full profile of the environment
expectations (required) and or desired for the Resource.
Sr. Interaction Design; Job Acronyms, (all are relevant):
*ID -* Interaction design, state flow and transition of screens and
widgets, (basically forms, tables displays, (displays are like read only
forms), messaging, etc). Plus you may have map interaction, Ajax
*UX *- User Experience, overall user experience using the interface,
impressions, end to end interaction
*UI -* User Interface, GUI design, actual design and style of screens
*IA -* Information Architecture, Information structure, navigation,
hierarchical organization of information, layout precedence, etc
*Technical Knowledge needed, (Note minimum experience can be balanced
off by other skills):*
* HTML -- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge -- Required
* DHTML -- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge -- Required
* CSS -- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge -- Required
Scriptacuous -- Knowledge of to Advanced knowledge -- Nice to have
EXT -- Knowledge of to Advanced knowledge -- Nice to have
* Excellent "conceptual" design skills, be able to "design on the fly".
* Ability to take spoken and written requirements and create
Interaction Designs and User Interfaces from these requirements.
* Excellent layout skills. Know proper usage of white space,
contrast, consistency, precedence, and gestalt principles.
* Descent to Intermediate Graphics skills. Be able to make
reasonable icons and knowledge to use colors correctly.
* Ability to create optimal screen flows.
* Taxonomy development.
* Flow Chart development.
* Web 2.0/Ajax design.
* Design for Enterprise Web Applications.
* Whiteboard Prototyping
* Paper Prototyping
* HTML Prototyping
* Lo-fi Prototyping
* Mid-fi Prototyping
* Hi-fi Prototyping
*/Project Management: /*Presentation abilities and General Knowledge,
(all skills are required at Senior level):
* Ability to present and discuss complex interactions, with and
without prototypes, to a variety of stakeholders.
* Guide discussions in order to achieve optimal UI and Usability.
* Be the User Interface/ Interaction Design Expert.
* Understand and work within dynamic timelines.
* Be flexible with changing requirements and feedback.
* Elicit and interpret requirements from stakeholders in order to
achieve successful and optimal UI.
* Have a sense of humor and don't take feedback personally.
* Designing in full SDLC.
* Basically be pleasant and presentable
*Nice to Have:*
* Agile Process.
* XP Process.
* Scrum Process
*/Usability and User testing Experience/*, (Intermediate to Advanced
skills required for at least ½ of these):
* Heuristic Evaluations
* Field Testing
* Think Out Loud Techniques
* Control Room Testing
* Survey creation and execution, online and in person
* Shadowing techniques
* Contextual Inquiry
* Persona development
* Profile development
* Archetype development
* GOMS evaluation
* UCD -- User Centered Design
*Knowledge of UX/UI Gurus and companies*, and what they're concepts are,
(Should know and be able to discuss concepts from at least 20% of these
Bruce "Tog" Tognazzini
Richard Saul Wurman
Jesse James Garret
Nielson Norman Group
MIT Media Lab
*Education *- Bachelors/Masters, (should have at least a bachelors,
masters is good -- NOTE -- experience trumps education ALWAYS!!!)
(Can easily have other degrees)