What project management tool do you use?

27 Mar 2008 - 9:22am
6 years ago
10 replies
1157 reads
Vishal Subraman...
2005

I'm specifically looking for enterprise level, cross functional usage- feel
free to chime in even if thats not the case. I was surprised to find out
that many companies don't use one (in conversations with people, nothing
formal...any data would be appreciated)
My experience with them is limited to using Basecamp (does it scale well for
enterprise use?) for the Interactions 08 conference- which I thought worked
really well. We currently use a mishmash of email, a document storage tool
and a wiki, there is a lot of waste, redundancies and inconsistencies in the
process. What's the deal with using a wiki as a project management tool
anyways? It makes sense as a documentation tool, but fails miserably
(because its not intended) as a PM tool.

Please call out ones that can't even be used by the consultants who need to
'train' a team in order to use it.

--
-Vishal
http://www.vishaliyer.com

Comments

27 Mar 2008 - 9:34am
SemanticWill
2007

Please define Enterprise? My only experience with the word is that it's
usually used by marketing dweebs to justify 6-figure implementation and
licensing costs.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Vishal Iyer <vishaliyer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm specifically looking for enterprise level, cross functional usage-
> feel
> free to chime in even if thats not the case. I was surprised to find out
> that many companies don't use one (in conversations with people, nothing
> formal...any data would be appreciated)
> My experience with them is limited to using Basecamp (does it scale well
> for
> enterprise use?) for the Interactions 08 conference- which I thought
> worked
> really well. We currently use a mishmash of email, a document storage tool
> and a wiki, there is a lot of waste, redundancies and inconsistencies in
> the
> process. What's the deal with using a wiki as a project management tool
> anyways? It makes sense as a documentation tool, but fails miserably
> (because its not intended) as a PM tool.
>
> Please call out ones that can't even be used by the consultants who need
> to
> 'train' a team in order to use it.
>
> --
> -Vishal
> http://www.vishaliyer.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | CrowdSprout
tel +1.617.281.1281 | fax +1.617.507.6016 | will at crowdsprout.com

27 Mar 2008 - 9:49am
Vishal Subraman...
2005

I'm no expert on this, totally hope to avoid a semantic debate and I don't
fancy the term either- but IMO it has a well understood connotation of being
large scale, large budget- you were right in a warped way. More importantly-
having the need to work with existing systems.

> Please define Enterprise? My only experience with the word is that it's
> usually used by marketing dweebs to justify 6-figure implementation and
> licensing costs.

--
-Vishal
http://www.vishaliyer.com

27 Mar 2008 - 10:03am
Ari
2006

back in the day, i used M$ Project then at another organization we used M$
Project Server.

unfortunately, no one ever used it because of the high learning curve and
the fact that schedules became as worthless as US dollars in Europe. :-)

now that i'm no longer involved in project focused work, we use basic
scheduling tied to our issue/bug tracking system.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Vishal Iyer <vishaliyer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm no expert on this, totally hope to avoid a semantic debate and I don't
> fancy the term either- but IMO it has a well understood connotation of
> being
> large scale, large budget- you were right in a warped way. More
> importantly-
> having the need to work with existing systems.
>
> > Please define Enterprise? My only experience with the word is that it's
> > usually used by marketing dweebs to justify 6-figure implementation and
> > licensing costs.
>
>
>
> --
> -Vishal
> http://www.vishaliyer.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------------------------------------
www.flyingyogi.com
--------------------------------------------------

27 Mar 2008 - 10:22am
Matt Nish-Lapidus
2007

I've used OmniPlan (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniplan/)
which is a typical PM tool, gant charts and timelines.. stuff like
that. It's good, but Mac only.

The other thing I've done on projects is use an issue tracking system
like Trac. It allows you to set up milestones with dates, and assign
tasks to them. The tasks can be anything, from documents, design, to
dev.. whatever you need. It's a very flexible open source tool.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Ari Feldman <ari1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> back in the day, i used M$ Project then at another organization we used M$
> Project Server.
>
> unfortunately, no one ever used it because of the high learning curve and
> the fact that schedules became as worthless as US dollars in Europe. :-)
>
> now that i'm no longer involved in project focused work, we use basic
> scheduling tied to our issue/bug tracking system.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
work: matt at bibliocommons.com / www.bibliocommons.com
--
personal: mattnl at gmail.com

27 Mar 2008 - 10:34am
Anonymous

Ari said:
> back in the day, i used M$ Project then at another organization we used M$
> Project Server.

As an aside (and I forget where I heard this): APPARENTLY the MS
Project developers have special dispensation to not use MS Project
when planning their projects.

Vishal said:
> IMO, this can be avoided by having a good tool

Hopefully! The fellow I was talking to implied that things like this
were quite cumbersome and it was often eaiser to go and chat to
someone & negotiate, rather than resolve crazy dependencies and try to
free up resource that you know could be free but the computer tells
you isn't!

Anyway, good luck with the final choice!

Alex.

27 Mar 2008 - 10:54am
Ty Hatch
2007

Never used it, but there's this: http://www.projectx.com/ (Again, it's Mac
only, but it looks Windows friendly in some respects, like reporting.)
-ty

27 Mar 2008 - 3:51pm
Vishal Subraman...
2005

Collaboration and communication is definitely a major aspect and there are
bound to be redundancies & waste in a large project with 100+ people across
half a dozen time zones. Some of it is probably needed, especially at
mission critical stages. But if a tool can help manage all this, that would
be sweet.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Nabil Durand <nabildurand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds like you're talking project management as well as team
> collaboration.
>
> "mishmash of email, a document storage tool
> and a wiki, there is a lot of waste, redundancies and inconsistencies in
> the
> process"
>
> You probably need an intranet with collaboration tools. I don't want to
> sound like a plug for m$... We use sharepoint 2003 and in the process of
> migrating to SharePoint 2007.
>
> They have come out with some awesome project management templates that
> might assist in removing inconsistencies/redundancies in your process.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx
>
>
>
>

--
-Vishal
http://www.vishaliyer.com

27 Mar 2008 - 3:30pm
Nabil Durand
2008

Sounds like you're talking project management as well as team collaboration.

"mishmash of email, a document storage tool
and a wiki, there is a lot of waste, redundancies and inconsistencies in the
process"

You probably need an intranet with collaboration tools. I don't want to
sound like a plug for m$... We use sharepoint 2003 and in the process of
migrating to SharePoint 2007.

They have come out with some awesome project management templates that might
assist in removing inconsistencies/redundancies in your process.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx

27 Mar 2008 - 7:16pm
Ari
2006

you touch on a good point. most of the solutions that have been references
from M$ Project Server to various OS-specific project management or
issue-tracking systems are all capable of doing what they're designed to do.

the biggest hurdle is actual rollout and use. case in point: i was
previously the exec producer of a fairly large interactive group and we had
nice tools like Project Server and Axure but the culture basically prevented
them from being used effectively as no one used them.

In contrast, I now work primarily in a UI and software engineering
environment: we use fairly basis issue-management and bug tracking software.
it's not shiny and it has limitations but people use it - we've gotten
through 20 release cycles with it.

the point is simple: if the culture embraces the tool, people will use the
tool. if the culture does not, then you've wasted a lot of time and money in
acquiring or learning the tool.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Vishal Iyer <vishaliyer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Collaboration and communication is definitely a major aspect and there are
> bound to be redundancies & waste in a large project with 100+ people
> across
> half a dozen time zones. Some of it is probably needed, especially at
> mission critical stages. But if a tool can help manage all this, that
> would
> be sweet.
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Nabil Durand <nabildurand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you're talking project management as well as team
> > collaboration.
> >
> > "mishmash of email, a document storage tool
> > and a wiki, there is a lot of waste, redundancies and inconsistencies in
> > the
> > process"
> >
> > You probably need an intranet with collaboration tools. I don't want to
> > sound like a plug for m$... We use sharepoint 2003 and in the process of
> > migrating to SharePoint 2007.
> >
> > They have come out with some awesome project management templates that
> > might assist in removing inconsistencies/redundancies in your process.
> >
> >
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> -Vishal
> http://www.vishaliyer.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------------------------------------
www.flyingyogi.com
--------------------------------------------------

28 Mar 2008 - 2:19pm
Santosh
2006

I have used Primavera Teamplay and its another
daunting task to learn it.

Now that i am not in to project management part of the
world we use scheduling in MS Project.

Santosh

--- Ari Feldman <ari1970 at gmail.com> wrote:

> back in the day, i used M$ Project then at another
> organization we used M$
> Project Server.
>
> unfortunately, no one ever used it because of the
> high learning curve and
> the fact that schedules became as worthless as US
> dollars in Europe. :-)
>
> now that i'm no longer involved in project focused
> work, we use basic
> scheduling tied to our issue/bug tracking system.
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Vishal Iyer
> <vishaliyer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm no expert on this, totally hope to avoid a
> semantic debate and I don't
> > fancy the term either- but IMO it has a well
> understood connotation of
> > being
> > large scale, large budget- you were right in a
> warped way. More
> > importantly-
> > having the need to work with existing systems.
> >
> > > Please define Enterprise? My only experience
> with the word is that it's
> > > usually used by marketing dweebs to justify
> 6-figure implementation and
> > > licensing costs.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > -Vishal
> > http://www.vishaliyer.com
> >
>
________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association
> (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................
> http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............
> http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help ..................
> http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
>
>
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------
> www.flyingyogi.com
> --------------------------------------------------
>
________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association
> (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................
> http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............
> http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help ..................
> http://www.ixda.org/help
>

____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Syndicate content Get the feed