[JOBS] onsite Freelance Information Architect: New York City: Rapp Collins: Contract or Temp to Perm
27 Mar 2008 - 10:03am
Rapp Collins Worldwide Is Leading the Way.
With a 40-year history in direct marketing, Rapp Collins combines unique
behavioral insights with dynamically rendered content to create
breakthrough communications that deliver valuable customers. We call it
"dynamic marketing," a term that reflects the changing nature of
communications today. Instead of the one-size-fits-all mass marketing
model of the 20th century, dynamic marketing recognizes that every
current and prospective customer is unique and experiences the brand in
different ways over time. Marketers who send the same message over and
over again through multiple, often competing, channels are missing out
on the opportunity to customize the experience and optimize the
With 50+offices in 30 countries and four full-service offices in New
York, Dallas, Los Angeles and Chicago, Rapp Collins Worldwide is leading
the direct marketing industry even as we redefine it.
Information Architect Job Description
One who designs and supervises the identification, classification, index
and display of knowledge to facilitate the user-centric organization and
presentation of data in an interactive environment, as determined by
experience, instruction and research.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Support the Digital Marketing Group in the development of online
interactive components - including, but not limited to, HTML e-mails,
landing pages, interactive units and all scale of web sites and
applications. Will be involved from project inception through
discovery, strategy, definition, architecture, documentation, testing
and iterative development.
Responsibilities include all of the following:
* Recognize, interview and work closely with key stakeholders -
including internal, client and end-users - to identify and prioritize
goals and objectives as related to the project. Must be able to clearly
articulate those goals to the extended team.
* Map the relation of goals, internal and external influences to
* Identify project scope in totality and clearly demarcate the
individual components, their interaction with internal and external
actors and/or actions.
* Work closely with Brand Planning to accurately determine, design
and develop for the appropriate psychographic/demographic/geo-targeted
* Construct the internal vocabulary and definitive taxonomy as
related to all project components.
* Develop site architecture as defined within a site map, working
within template constraints and labeling best practice.
* Create accurate functionality representations per page in wire
frame format, working within template constraints and labeling best
* Work closely with Creative department to ensure usability
guidelines are well understood and represented. Provide feedback and
recommendations during conceptual phases of a project.
* Work in tandem with technical architect or technology lead to
define platform and environment per project. Ensure accessibility
guidelines are well understood and accepted.
* Demonstrate desire and capacity to be a strong team player.
* Works with other Information architects to transfer knowledge,
extend expertise and participate in larger team efforts.
* Leverage direct marketing knowledge as applied to the
interactive environment to aid in strategic initiatives.
Skills sets recommended for this position:
* Familiarity with the iterative development process, facilitation
and/or participation in focus groups.
* Strong grasp of HCI and UI.
* Knowledge of content indexing and navigational constructs and
* Extensive experience working in collaborative environments,
integrating user-centered design, technology, and business strategy, and
be client-facing. Must be able to work independently, take initiative,
and innovate. Must have strong verbal and communication skills, as this
is integral to the position.
* Perform content analysis, task analysis, task modeling, and
* Create and document information design concepts and solutions by
various means, including diagrams, maps, flows, and rapid prototypes.
* Develop effective user-centered solutions for all interactive
applications. Work with developers and testers to ensure high usability
* Exhibit expert-level knowledge in information and interaction
design; apply this knowledge appropriately to create solutions that best
meet clients' strategic goals.
* Work to integrate effective information and interaction design
strategies and practices into our overall design process.
* Stay abreast of new and innovative trends in the information
architecture discipline as well as industry news and developments; work
to build similar knowledge among other design and production team
* Assist project managers, account managers, and creative director
in scoping and estimating IA projects, and presenting concepts to client
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required education and experience include all of the following:
* Minimum 3 years dedicated experience in information architecture
interaction design for web sites
* Experience conducting user research, including contextual
* Superb writing and presentation skills
* An outstanding portfolio of detailed page schematics, functional
specifications, interaction flows, site maps, navigation
use case models and diagrams
* Ability to articulate business strategy and branding issues, and
balance these with user needs and technological constraints
* Demonstrated ability to manage internal and external clients,
communicate effectively and resolve issues
* Experience working in a collaborative environment
* Strong understanding of interactive technology and applied uses
* Strong aptitude for change management and ability to work within
dynamic project constraints
* Ability to work independently, prioritize, and solve problems
* Creativity and attention to detail