The Interaction Designer will report to the User Experience Design Manager for the Digital Solutions Group of Cengage Learning. This position requires an individual with great ideas, passion, and the motivation to collaborate with directors, instructional designers, customers, and subject matter experts. You must have a "can-do" attitude and be able to succeed in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; possess excellent creative and analytical skills; and have demonstrated experience designing learning technology and content applications to meet learning impact, customer satisfaction, and usability goals.
This position will create visual and interactive designs for a variety of online learning products, websites, marketing demos, and collateral. Experience with interface design, information architecture, software applications design, and interactive content design is required. Passion for user-centered design, interactive design, and publishing is most desirable.
Belmont, CA location is preferred, but this role could operate out of one of our other locations.
Specific accountabilities include:
1. Works closely with the User Experience Design Manager, the Director of User Experience Design, and instructional designers to produce innovative, engaging, and effective designs and interactions that meet platform requirements, customer needs, and instructional goals.
2. Develops information design, user task flows, and user experience strategies for complex, multi-faceted educational applications.
3. Ensures quality and effectiveness of visual design throughout development process via design reviews, user testing, and collaboration with the development team.
4. Works closely with development team to develop product designs for online platforms and applications that fulfill market needs of configurability, scalability and extensibility.
5. Presents design concepts and solutions verbally and in documents such as storyboards, wire frames, and flowcharts.
6. Creates rapid prototypes and mock-ups to validate design concepts with stakeholders and customers. Participates in, or leads usability studies with end users.
7. Documents and applies best practices in user centered design. Develops design guidelines, standards, and specs that developers, designers, and others will use to implement visual design concepts and solutions.
8. Designs training materials and sales collateral as needed, both in print and online.
* 4+ years interaction and visual design experience in software product design. Specific experience in designing learning systems for higher education and/or the online learning field is valuable. Experience with design in distributed, open source, and AGILE teams.
* Demonstrated experience in information architecture, interactivity, prototyping for innovative product design. Advocate and integrate user-centered design methodologies.
* Ability to translate business requirements into effective design solutions and systems. Successful ability to develop and implement design standards and visual style guides. Proven ability to identify conflicting design requirements and constructively solve problems for the end-user's best interests.
* Established ability to present design scenarios and solutions confidently and credibly to internal stakeholders and executives.
* Ability to manage time and resources on multiple projects with multiple timelines and multiple missions. Ability to deal with changing priorities as needs dictate. Ability to work on and off site as required.
Four year Bachelor's degree in visual design, interaction design, or related discipline. Advanced degree in Design or HCI a plus.
A portfolio demonstrating product design and interaction design experience is required. Please send a URL in the body of your application.
Thanks for your interest!
User Experience Design Manager
Digital Solutions Group