EVENT: IXDA Pittsburgh - Thursday, April 24

18 Apr 2008 - 1:23pm
5 years ago
2 replies
626 reads
Michele Marut
2005

*IXDA Pittsburgh April Meeting*

*Date:* Thursday, April 24, 2008

*Time:* 6:30 PM Refreshments & Networking

7:00 PM Presentations

8:00 PM Optional trip to the Walnut Grill
in Shadyside

*Place: *Daedalus Excel's Offices, 4914 Baum Blvd, 15213

*Map:* http://www.daed.com/contact_maps.tt2

*RSVP: *An RSVP is not required, but it helps us to have an idea of the head
count for the venue. Please send RSVPs to mmarut15 at gmail.com

*About This Event*

Local IXDA members will be giving brief presentations on a timely IXD topic
for the purpose of engaging the group in a discussion.

*Sofia Mirza, MDes '07, Communication & Information Design, will present her
Visualization Toolkit: Tools for Visualizing Qualitative Information for
Understanding*

My research focused on how to improve the instruction and use of
collaborative visualization tools. I studied how maps, diagrams and models
aid understanding of new information and how visualizing helps learners
reflect on what they know about a problem and negotiate new understandings
through collaboration with others. I specifically focused on how visuals
support understanding as opposed to the graphic communication of information
to external audiences. I have designed a series of cards that represent the
building blocks of understanding new information using visualization
methods. This prototype suggests basic graphic elements to represent ideas,
organizational principles to structure thinking and existing models, maps
and diagrams that can help teams communicate and renegotiate their
understanding with other designers.

*Peter Bird, MDes '08, Communication & Information Design, will present his
ongoing thesis work on Designing for Travel: An Analysis of Public
Transportation System Information Aids*

As we move through the natural and built environment, we create mental maps
of the land around us containing information we gather from the environment
and meanings we project back. To successfully travel through this land, we
must select and navigate a route, often using multiple modes of
transportation. This presentation analyzes the materials public
transportation systems provide to passengers to aid in navigating the
systems using analytical categories developed by designers, cartographers
and urban planners. These information aids, from maps and timetables to
signs and electronic displays, are used in a variety of contexts of use, but
all attempt to visualize some aspect of the system and connect it to the
larger environment. The presentation will explain how some forms and
techniques are more successful than others, leading to fewer barriers of
entry for potential users.

*Don Charlton from Wall-to-Wall Studios will present his Lessons for
Interface Designers*

A series of quick, easily-digest able ideas including:

Focus on Functionality

What Good Airport Signage Teaches Us About Application Interface Design

All Content Should Be Readable and Scannable

Tell Clients White Space is Like a Big Front Yard

The Human and the Mouse

1 Point Can Make a Big Point

If You Don't Understand Information Architecture, You'll Never Be In Control
of Your Career

Pad the Bottom of Content Blocks

Navigation Says Many Things

Think of Navigation as Providing Hints

Happy Coincidences

Indecisive Design

Sans Serif and Serif Get Along Very Well

Pull Out What's Important

Greeking is Dangerous

Information Versus Entertainment

*William Bernstein from Daedalus Excel will present a case study on the
Development of an Interface for Home Dialysis*

A breakthrough filtration technology enabled hemodialysis to be performed in
the home, rather than in the confines of a dialysis clinic. Daedalus Excel
worked with Renal Solutions to develop an interaction appropriate for the
new setting and user population, involving the holistic design of both
physical and on-screen elements.

* *

Comments

23 Apr 2008 - 6:58am
Michele Marut
2005

Reminder

> IXDA Pittsburgh April Meeting
>
> Date: Thursday, April 24, 2008
>
> Time: 6:30 PM Refreshments & Networking
>
> 7:00 PM Presentations
>
> 8:00 PM Optional trip to the Walnut Grill
> in Shadyside
>
> Place: Daedalus Excel's Offices, 4914 Baum Blvd, 15213
>
> Map: http://www.daed.com/contact_maps.tt2
>
> RSVP: An RSVP is not required, but it helps us to have an idea of the head
> count for the venue. Please send RSVPs to mmarut15 at gmail.com
>
> About This Event
>
> Local IXDA members will be giving brief presentations on a timely IXD topic
> for the purpose of engaging the group in a discussion.
>
> Sofia Mirza, MDes '07, Communication & Information Design, will present her
> Visualization Toolkit: Tools for Visualizing Qualitative Information for
> Understanding
>

>
> Peter Bird, MDes '08, Communication & Information Design, will present his
> ongoing thesis work on Designing for Travel: An Analysis of Public
> Transportation System Information Aids
>

>
> Don Charlton from Wall-to-Wall Studios will present his Lessons for
> Interface Designers
>

>
> William Bernstein from Daedalus Excel will present a case study on the
> Development of an Interface for Home Dialysis
>
>
>
>

23 Apr 2008 - 3:40pm
Chad Hutchinson
2007

Can anyone tell me when and where the next national IXDA conference
will be? I can find zero information on it.

Thanks!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=28213

Syndicate content Get the feed