JOB: Community experience designer/leader, New York, NY, USA, LIMEBITS, full time
29 May 2008 - 6:35pm
LimeBits is developing an innovative software platform intended to empower
people to share their own creations and to collaborate on group creations.
You'll join the LimeBits team and help overturn the ancient traditions of
software development. Your community interaction design, leadership, and
management skills will guide LimeBits's outsource developers and motivate
and excite our open-source volunteers. As a key member of the team, you
have a blue-sky opportunity to lead us in
* Designing and establishing community/team interaction processes to
apply and demonstrate LimeBits's share-and-refine model of code development.
* Designing and establishing social experience and structure for
productive, effective, distributed, grassroots collaboration via LimeBits.
* Designing and promoting collaborative, open-source culture and
ensuring healthy community morale.
* Organizing and producing community-building activities, such as
contests, discussions, games, festivals, and conferences, both online and in
* Managing the specification, development, implementation, delivery,
and acceptance of outsourced LimeBits projects.
* Creating specifications, design documents, and planning documents
for outsourced projects.
* Facilitating tests, quality assurance, and usability feedback from
community members, testers, and other stakeholders.
* Establishing, evaluating, and improving technical project procedures
for outsource projects.
* Establishing distributed processes and procedures for collaborative
projects, including tests, reviews, and reports.
* Managing multiple simultaneous projects with diverse collaborative
teams and with individuals.
* Recruiting, encouraging, motivating, mentoring, and training
LimeBits community volunteers and leaders.
* Proposing and facilitating compelling, exciting, innovative
open-source community projects.
* Researching and representing the user community internally within
* Networking with community members to identify and realize
partnerships. Managing relationships with external partners.
* Skills in community experience design and team interaction design.
* Strong interest in organizational behavior and building community
* Demonstrated leadership and communication skills in project leadership and
* 2+ years leadership as software project manager or product manager.
* Experience managing communications and relationships with external vendors
and internal personnel.
* Experience estimating costs and negotiating and implementing
external/outsource deals and contracts.
* Strong experience in ensuring compliance with software specifications.
* Knowledge of the software development life cycle.
* Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate degree.
* Bonus: Experience contributing to open-source software development
LimeBits is a startup project in the Lime Group, home to such companies as
Lime Wire, Lime Brokerage, and Tower Research. The Lime Group companies
offer a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment. While we
work hard, we also play hard and believe in supporting our team. We provide
free lunches, snacks, and beverages, tickets to NY events, 5 weeks vacation,
and great views from our garden roof deck.
Employee or individual contractor -- no contract firms.