iRise vs. Axure - Community response - Patent-free thread

6 Jun 2008 - 2:53pm
6 years ago
5 replies
9047 reads
Fred Beecher
2006

First, my apologies to Andrei and anyone else who may be affected by having
links to patents in their email. I had NO idea about the impact.
In response to Josh Seiden who, speaking for the IxDA board, encouraged us
to come up with a plan of action, I'd like to start this new thread. To
anyone taking part in the discussion, please refrain from a discussion of
any patents, posting snippets thereof, or links to patent sites. Thanks!

The purpose of this thread is to discuss not the patent itself or whether
Axure infringed or not, but to discuss our response to this lawsuit as a
community. Regardless of whether iRise's claim is valid or not, the stated
aim of the lawsuit is to prevent Axure from selling the only thing it makes.
This eliminates competition and thus is bad for our community, so as a
community we should form some sort of response.

So far we've had a few ideas:

- Alexander Baxevanis has suggested we liase with the EFF to encourage them
to take up the case...

- Prince Arora suggested creating a "boycottirise.com" site...

What are our other options? Here are a couple of things off the top of my
head...

- As a community, do we have the option of posting a formal response on the
IxDA site? Or does the board wish the organization to remain neutral?

- Can we put together a short petition to deliver to the iRise CEO? Who
should be the messenger? I'm guessing not me due to my acknowledged Axure
fanboy status. : )

- What else?

Thanks,
Fred

Comments

7 Jun 2008 - 5:09pm
Fred Beecher
2006

On 6/7/08, Nancy Roberts <nancyc.roberts at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> know what would make sense to do - I am not sure even a "professional"
> protest would stop iRise from trying to eliminate competition.

I don't expect that either, but they should at least be made aware that
their backhanded business practices have been noticed and derided by the
community of people they're trying to sell to and that we will now be much
harder to sell to.

- F.

7 Jun 2008 - 10:48am
Nancy Roberts
2008

I just want to say thank you for bringing this to my attention... I would
have had no idea this was going on, and it would present real problems in my
day to day work life. I don't know what would make sense to do - I am not
sure even a "professional" protest would stop iRise from trying to eliminate
competition.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Fred Beecher <fbeecher at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, my apologies to Andrei and anyone else who may be affected by having
> links to patents in their email. I had NO idea about the impact.
> In response to Josh Seiden who, speaking for the IxDA board, encouraged us
> to come up with a plan of action, I'd like to start this new thread. To
> anyone taking part in the discussion, please refrain from a discussion of
> any patents, posting snippets thereof, or links to patent sites. Thanks!
>
> The purpose of this thread is to discuss not the patent itself or whether
> Axure infringed or not, but to discuss our response to this lawsuit as a
> community. Regardless of whether iRise's claim is valid or not, the stated
> aim of the lawsuit is to prevent Axure from selling the only thing it
> makes.
> This eliminates competition and thus is bad for our community, so as a
> community we should form some sort of response.
>
> So far we've had a few ideas:
>
> - Alexander Baxevanis has suggested we liase with the EFF to encourage them
> to take up the case...
>
> - Prince Arora suggested creating a "boycottirise.com" site...
>
>
> What are our other options? Here are a couple of things off the top of my
> head...
>
> - As a community, do we have the option of posting a formal response on the
> IxDA site? Or does the board wish the organization to remain neutral?
>
> - Can we put together a short petition to deliver to the iRise CEO? Who
> should be the messenger? I'm guessing not me due to my acknowledged Axure
> fanboy status. : )
>
> - What else?
>
> Thanks,
> Fred
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

8 Jun 2008 - 12:28pm
Dave Malouf
2005

Nancy,
We are not just car repairman here. There are many in this community
that work for companies like Axure and iRise. I.e. we are creators of
prototyping software, not just users of it. I.e. there are people on
this community board who are on the team for Thermo (Adobe's
prototyping solution to come out soon) and definitely people who work
on Expression Studio.

But it isn't just about prototyping tools either. For example if you
are a consultant and employ the Adobe patented method for using panels
and palettes i a UI, or a Ribbon from MS, in your enterprise solution
or your public web site, you could be sued. So the question is whether
or not you INTENDED on breaking a patent, or just did it by accident.
Intentionality is a big part here that no one has addressed and it is
for this reason that people would like to black themselves out.

Further, Fred's original post was not the problem so much as the
ones that pointed people to the explicit patents themselves.

BTW, I've been at this for close to 20 years and I write patent
material and I have never had my HD subpoenaed. It is a VERY rare,
but painful occurance. It's like trying to avoid food that you are
not fatally allergic to. It just isn't worth all the itching and
scratching!!!

-- dave

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29941

9 Jun 2008 - 10:38am
Nancy Roberts
2008

No intent to offend in the last post.

Sounds like there is a lot I don't know... and it almost sounds like there
are two levels of involvement at issue here? I just use Axure to create
prototypes for websites and CDs for proof of concept and user testing.
That's it. My big concern would be losing a tool from my workbox. I doubt
that anything I am doing would be considered patent infringement.

It seems there are also people doing work that far exceeds mine in scope and
sophistication, where patent issues could clearly come into play. The idea
of having a seminar on this subject makes a great deal of sense and fills a
need that perhaps we didn't know (some of us) we had!

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 1:28 PM, dave malouf <dave at ixda.org> wrote:

> Nancy,
> We are not just car repairman here. There are many in this community
> that work for companies like Axure and iRise. I.e. we are creators of
> prototyping software, not just users of it. I.e. there are people on
> this community board who are on the team for Thermo (Adobe's
> prototyping solution to come out soon) and definitely people who work
> on Expression Studio.
>
> But it isn't just about prototyping tools either. For example if you
> are a consultant and employ the Adobe patented method for using panels
> and palettes i a UI, or a Ribbon from MS, in your enterprise solution
> or your public web site, you could be sued. So the question is whether
> or not you INTENDED on breaking a patent, or just did it by accident.
> Intentionality is a big part here that no one has addressed and it is
> for this reason that people would like to black themselves out.
>
> Further, Fred's original post was not the problem so much as the
> ones that pointed people to the explicit patents themselves.
>
> BTW, I've been at this for close to 20 years and I write patent
> material and I have never had my HD subpoenaed. It is a VERY rare,
> but painful occurance. It's like trying to avoid food that you are
> not fatally allergic to. It just isn't worth all the itching and
> scratching!!!
>
> -- dave
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29941
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

9 Jun 2008 - 5:09pm
Josh Seiden
2003

Fred asked:

"As a community, do we have the option of posting a formal response
on the IxDA site? Or does the board wish the organization to remain
neutral?"

As I noted in my second post on the original thread
(http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=29930), the organization wishes
to remain neutral on this subject.

Thanks,
JS

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29941

Syndicate content Get the feed